What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

I love the crown position option... but was surprised you chose the 10 o'clock (being [I assume] right handed). What was your reason for that choice please, William?

I’m the odd duck as one normally wears a watch on their non dominant hand but I am a lefty and wear a watch on my left hand so the crown being at the 10:00 position made sense and it just looks cool...

Reactions: Cal
I’m the odd duck as one normally wears a watch on their non dominant hand but I am a lefty and wear a watch on my left hand so the crown being at the 10:00 position made sense and it just looks cool...
:laugh: Got it! Thanks for the reply. :001_cool:

:laugh: Got it! Thanks for the reply. :001_cool:

I also wear a watch below my wrist bone so the crown being at 10 seems more comfy as it does not poke my hand , some will argue it’s more difficult to set the time with it being there but I never adjust while wearing as it stresses the crown stem and all my current automatics run at +/- 5 SPD on average and I rotate weekly so the only time I move the crown is at the beginning of the week for the initial time and date setting

Reactions: Cal

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Grand Seiko
3BE4B1D3-6B38-481C-8BEE-1053817E5D02.jpeg
229DA8F7-8C4B-47C0-9404-73CB1BAC241E.jpeg

My girlfriend bought me a watch as sort of an anniversary/cheer me up gift and.....errr.......well.....I'm not sure about it.

I like Bulova and think they're good value for money and really like their Precisionist quartz movement as the sweep second hand gives the appearance of an automatic movement. That said the model she selected is a touch flamboyant for my tastes. She knew this when selecting the watch as she's trying to push me out of my previous fashion bubble and get some color into my overall appearance. Fair goal as my wardrobe is best described as gray scale. Other complaint is the watch is heavy, like 0.4lb heavy.

IMG_1668.JPG IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1675.JPG

Picked this up from a micro brand maker from the land down under, Its a MAS ( Mathew and Son )Irukandji diver

I just kinda stumbled across it several months back and started looking at specs and reading and watching reviews and the story behind MAS watches is very cool

It took several, several weeks to get to me, actually it took almost two months due to customs and this COVID-19 thing but the wait was worth it.

The watch is very well made and the price is very reasonable, below are the specs.....it has a Seiko NH35 movement that is regulated before it goes out the door and is supposed to be +/- 5 SPD which I think is exceptional

The last pic is from Mathew‘s site with specs

View attachment 1107230View attachment 1107231View attachment 1107232View attachment 1107240
Very nice watch, looks almost like Christmas. :)
Is your watch a right-wrist/left-handed-person model, even though you are wearing it on the left wrist? Or maybe it is just a way to position the crown so that it is really out of the way.

My girlfriend bought me a watch as sort of an anniversary/cheer me up gift and.....errr.......well.....I'm not sure about it.

I like Bulova and think they're good value for money and really like their Precisionist quartz movement as the sweep second hand gives the appearance of an automatic movement. That said the model she selected is a touch flamboyant for my tastes. She knew this when selecting the watch as she's trying to push me out of my previous fashion bubble and get some color into my overall appearance. Fair goal as my wardrobe is best described as gray scale. Other complaint is the watch is heavy, like 0.4lb heavy.

View attachment 1107583 View attachment 1107584 View attachment 1107585
I would not expect the watch to look very flashy on the wrist, though yellow is probably more visible than if the accent were red, blue, or green. I have watch with a similar color pattern except it uses red.

I am surprised to hear that it is that heavy on a rubber strap. You would mostly adjust to the weight after some time, but I also prefer lighter watches that are not felt on the wrist. Maybe you could get an all black rubber (Bonetto Cinturini) or silicon strap as a way to tone it down and make peace with your GF's watch selection. Good luck.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen

View attachment 1107583 View attachment 1107584 View attachment 1107585
She did good. A little flash and dash now and then can be a welcome style touch. Lucky guy.

Moreover, there's a whole inexpensive universe of silicone and fabric sport watch straps that you can readily swap out and have a lot of fun with. Check out what Antique Hoosier does with that fine Longines of his.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Doxa Grafic today. Reminded of why quickset dates are such a good idea if you like to have the correct one displayed!
View attachment 1107310
Great mid-century modern watch. I can't tell: is yours gold or steel? Nice one, too. (FWIW, they all seem to show that degradation where the dial meets the case.)

You can save time (no pun intended) when resetting the date by turning the crown until the date changes, then immediately turning the hands anti-clockwise until about eight or nine o'clock, then going forward to a little after midnight again to advance the date. Rinse and repeat. It won't harm your watch.

Very nice watch, looks almost like Christmas. :)
Is your watch a right-wrist/left-handed-person model, even though you are wearing it on the left wrist? Or maybe it is just a way to position the crown so that it is really out of the way.

This maker offers the crown at the 10:00 or 4:00 o’clock positions, I’m honestly not sure what his decision was based on in doing so but my guess would be if the crown is at 10 you would wear it on your right hand and the 4 position would be you left, I chose the 10 position as it’s just different.

I cannot say enough good things about this maker, he seems genuinely concerned in giving someone the best bang for there buck with this watch as you get a super nice hand regulated time piece along with a polished steel bracelet and NATO strap along with a two year warranty for a super reasonable price and the Seiko NH35 movement is a workhorse and so far it’s been running at +/- 1 SPD so whoever they have regulating their pieces before going out the door is doing an excellent job.

I third the notion that the Bulova can easily be toned down/dressed up with a variety of straps. 24mm IIRC. Signed all black Bulova rubber straps can be had for 50 ish. Quality non OEM for 1/2 of that I would suspect in a Barton brand and then go from there.

Leather and Sharkskin straps start at 15 and go as high as you want to spend with a sweet spot is probably 50-100 but I may be at the edge of my lane on that. Here is an interesting link. No affiliation.

Genuine Handmade Black Shark Leather Watch Strap 18, 20, 22, 24mm (Made in U.S.A) - https://www.etsy.com/listing/704812289/genuine-handmade-black-shark-leather?ga_order=price_asc&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shark+watch+strap&ref=sr_gallery-1-29&frs=1

Besides, she caused you to like that movement so much you had to buy yourself a Lunar model...right?

Perhaps a little too flashy for working at home but I decided to go with my Citizen (Solar) Eco-Drive watch today.

20200601_125128.jpg

Had not worn it for awhile (few months) so I let it sit in full sun for a bit. I was reminded of how nicely the tick marks and hands lume. Unfortunately, I have no place in my house where I can be in total darkness so this photo si the best I could get -

20200601_115304.jpg

Tim

Top Bottom