What's new

3 watch collection

So I've been thinking about consolidating down to a 3 watch collection. What would you choose as your three watch collection? If you already have one, what is it? What would be your approach? Dress, Sport, and Daily? Different colors? Different brands? Different countries? What are your thoughts?

Water - Hamilton Khaki Scuba
Land - Hamilton Kkaki Automatic
Air - Hamilton Aviation or Chrono

I have the first two, got as gifts when I turned 50. I hope to add the 3rd as a retirement gift to myself in 5y. No Date versions for the ones above and all watches moving forward.

I wouldn't spend more than this price point. As much as I'd love an Omega, I can't see myself splurging, but we'll see...maybe one day.

I own more and always will as I like my Casio, Seiko and Citizen watches. Ones I don't care about getting dinged as much. I also like to have a couple digitals (G-shock, Suunto) for camping and running with timers, stop watch and compass.

No smart watches though. I don't want to be connected most times. The only reason I would add one is for safety. I trail run alone (with my dog) in a large forest, side trails, off the main paths, so if I ever fell or got lost, I would want someone to be able to find me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What would be your approach? Dress, Sport, and Daily?

I don't know what "daily" would be per se. I'd have one dress watch for wearing with suits &c, and one casual/sport watch for other times. I doubt I'd have a third, unless maybe a diver watch for when I go swimming.

If I were going to add a third watch, it would probably be a "dressy casual" watch like a Seiko Alpinist that I don't want to bash around while hiking, camping, and other outdoorsy activities. (Yes, I get the irony of that, given that the Alpinist was intended as a hiker's watch.)

Legion

Staff member
I'd probably go one slim dress watch, to wear under shirt cuffs with suits, one good quality dive or military style, and a smart watch.

One sporty Diver/GMT
One EDC 3 hands plus date on a steel bracelet
One real dress watch on a leather strap - yellow or rose gold if you like

FB9CBA2A-7343-4692-A11B-6ECBCB143260.jpeg

3B304D5A-A45A-405A-9751-B3B0DEEE5920.jpeg

BC821B59-387D-4A07-9050-8F2A8EFC89DF.jpeg

One dress, one Diver, one smart casual (smaller caliber, simple face). Bands: Black, Stainless Steel, brown. Face colors can be white, cream, and one darker (blue or black).

The brands and countries will depend on the budget, but it doesn't have to be expensive. In each of the categories you can go at a low price point or really splurge. They don't even have to have mechanical movements.

I have three watches in rotation (wearing each for a week), and they go from rather expensive to medium priced to very cheap:

Longines Heritage Flagship Chronograph (dress), white face, black band
Nomos Glasshütte Club (smart casual), white face, dark brown band
Seagull Skeleton (smart casual / could be dress as well), black face, light brown band

The Seagull was incredibly cheap for its looks and I am just waiting for it to break so that I may replace it with a diver / military watch; preferably with a stainless steel band and blue face. I won't spend much on the replacement either, $500 is my limit.

For outdoors, weekends, and generally being very casual (think jeans and a T-shirt) I have a Luminox Leatherback Sea Turtle and a black Casio G-Force.

I'm not sold on smart watches, the only reason I would get one is either for safety as @brucered mentioned, or if I would really have a use for certain functions.

Legion

Staff member
No smart watches though. I don't want to be connected most times. The only reason I would add one is for safety. I trail run alone (with my dog) in a large forest, side trails, off the main paths, so if I ever fell or got lost, I would want someone to be able to find me.
If you are doing that, a smart watch has lots of extras that you might like. Heart rate monitor, can record steps, distance, altitude changes. Can tie in to other apps to record your workouts. Measure blood pressure. Control your music, if you listen while you run. Heaps of stuff.

I wasn't sold on smart watches for a long time, but since getting gifted an Apple watch I have found dozens of things in it I actually use. At the very least I use it daily to make my phone ping so I can remember where I put it down.

One dress, one Diver, one smart casual (smaller caliber, simple face). Bands: Black, Stainless Steel, brown. Face colors can be white, cream, and one darker (blue or black).

The brands and countries will depend on the budget, but it doesn't have to be expensive. In each of the categories you can go at a low price point or really splurge. They don't even have to have mechanical movements.

I have three watches in rotation (wearing each for a week), and they go from rather expensive to medium priced to very cheap:

Longines Heritage Flagship Chronograph (dress), white face, black band
Nomos Glasshütte Club (smart casual), white face, dark brown band
Seagull Skeleton (smart casual / could be dress as well), black face, light brown band

The Seagull was incredibly cheap for its looks and I am just waiting for it to break so that I may replace it with a diver / military watch; preferably with a stainless steel band and blue face. I won't spend much on the replacement either, $500 is my limit.

For outdoors, weekends, and generally being very casual (think jeans and a T-shirt) I have a Luminox Leatherback Sea Turtle and a black Casio G-Force.

I'm not sold on smart watches, the only reason I would get one is either for safety as @brucered mentioned, or if I would really have a use for certain functions.
Blue face Orient Kamasu plus a Strapcode aftermarket bracelet should fit nicely in your 500.00 budget.

Blue face Orient Kamasu plus a Strapcode aftermarket bracelet should fit nicely in your 500.00 budget.
Wow, thanks. What incredibly great advice. I just looked up your suggestions. The watch is beautiful and the Strapcode bracelets going with it are just gorgeous. I am seriously considering this watch, because apart from being a timeless, classic design it has a really reasonable price.

Thanks again. I might end up soon with this beautiful time piece.

Wow, thanks. What incredibly great advice. I just looked up your suggestions. The watch is beautiful and the Strapcode bracelets going with it are just gorgeous. I am seriously considering this watch, because apart from being a timeless, classic design it has a really reasonable price.

Thanks again. I might end up soon with this beautiful time piece.
I would get the cheapest version with the rubber diver strap as this one is actually nicer than the stock (untapered) steel bracelet.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have five wristwatches. They are all low cost, and all quartz. Two take batteries, and three are solar. I have never had any interest in fancy watches. I just need a simple reliable one I can read easily.

Chronograph to me, are watches with cooking aids. Bump the start button when the food goes in the oven, or into bowling water. Continue pottering around the kitchen doing other chores, and there's a separate dial on my watch telling me how long they've been in. One one a black strap, and one on a brown.

IMG_20231228_081541.jpg

IMG_20211016_223704.jpg

The digital add an alarm. Useful for cooking that needs walking away from for some time. I rarely have much use for the myriad of other functions on these items. Having two helps me swap between straps when the wrists get sweaty in summer. The one with orange accents is now on a canvas strap.

IMG_20211016_233109.jpg

IMG_20211016_233441.jpg

Finally, I have a simple faced one. The only one of the five on a metal bracelet. This gets work the least, but it still sometimes ends up sat on my wrist for a few weeks.

IMG_20231228_081855.jpg

I don't swap them daily, or fret over whether they match my shoes or whatever. I swap if the strap gets annoying or needs a clean, or if I want a specific function, or my eyes are struggling, and I need an easier read.

Simple tools for simple tastes.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have two watches - the first is a 42mm 2011 Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver which I purchased with a bonus from work. My Father had always wanted an Omega but could never afford one and when I look at it I am reminded of him. My second watch is a Seiko Sportsmatic Deluxe JDM made in January 1967 which is the month I was born. I am considering a third watch which is likely to be a retro digital quartz model, possibly LED and similar to one I wore as a boy.

1703757538861.png

Water - Hamilton Khaki Scuba
Land - Hamilton Kkaki Automatic
Air - Hamilton Aviation or Chrono

I have the first two, got as gifts when I turned 50. I hope to add the 3rd as a retirement gift to myself in 5y. No Date versions for the ones above and all watches moving forward.

I wouldn't spend more than this price point. As much as I'd love an Omega, I can't see myself splurging, but we'll see...maybe one day.

I own more and always will as I like my Casio, Seiko and Citizen watches. Ones I don't care about getting dinged as much. I also like to have a couple digitals (G-shock, Suunto) for camping and running with timers, stop watch and compass.

Nice. I'm with you on the smart watch. I got an Apple Watch when they first came out. That night we had dinner with friends and as we sat at the table chatting I kept getting notification after notification on my wrist. It felt a) rude and b) that I was disconnected from the real things in the world so I could be connected with the virtual fake things. Haven't worn one since.

Also my wife has a Garmin she wears when she runs. It emails me a link every time that she starts a run and I can always click on that link to find out where she is in real time. I think it's quite a cool feature.

Top Bottom