What's new

3 watch collection

Have friend who is watch collector I assume with 170 Watches, is collection. Asked him what was his grail watch? He replied Pakek Philippe something, that meant nothing to me.

Guy also like fine Cars, and he has 7 or 8 classics.

I am not watch guy, had Rolex Fake once most people thought it was real. Now my only watch is under $10.00 eBay special.

Have friend who is watch collector I assume with 170 Watches, is collection. Asked him what was his grail watch? He replied Pakek Philippe something, that meant nothing to me.

Guy also like fine Cars, and he has 7 or 8 classics.

I am not watch guy, had Rolex Fake once most people thought it was real. Now my only watch is under $10.00 eBay special.
An obvious but certainly not bad choice of your collector friend Patek Philippe - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patek_Philippe

Like I said not into watches, but another guy I know wear this all the time.

He like the first guy I spoke of is also Car guy.
Chacun à son goût. In regards to watches I would stick with your friend No.1 :)

Nice. I'm with you on the smart watch. I got an Apple Watch when they first came out. That night we had dinner with friends and as we sat at the table chatting I kept getting notification after notification on my wrist. It felt a) rude and b) that I was disconnected from the real things in the world so I could be connected with the virtual fake things. Haven't worn one since.

Also my wife has a Garmin she wears when she runs. It emails me a link every time that she starts a run and I can always click on that link to find out where she is in real time. I think it's quite a cool feature.
I tried one once for running and sent it back after the first run. I trail run for exercise (dog and myself) but also for fun and to disconnect and experience the outdoors at the same time

Long explanation inside for anyone interested;
For my daily runs with the Dog, we run for fun. We have a few set runs in the forest, so direction/steps/distance, isn't really needed. I wear a digital Suunti ABC that has a large digital display watch and compass

I don't wear headphones as I want to isten to the woodpeckers, chat with other people/dogs we run by or pass, talk to Martha/dog (yes, I talk to her) and keep an ear open for deer and more importantly, coyotes that live in the area and we come up on often.

I don't monitor distance, just time. I manage my time by leaving the house at a certain time and know my 5k runs are approximately 30-35min plus travel time. I have come up on walkers who are on headsets, ask to get by, then yell, then use my dog whistle and still get no reaction. I then let my dog go up and give them a poke or sniff and scare the crap out of them, otherwise we can't run by on the single track deer trail. For the record, she's a Rottweiler mix muscle dog, who is overly friendly to people). Anyway, no smart watch for the "smart functions) but I would seriously consider one in the future for safety as I age. I'm in good health but we have had some pretty good falls out there (just me, but she is attached to me and can pull on runs) on the ice when running or bruised ankles when slipping on treet roots and had to hobble back.
Phew, that was a lot of reasons.

Last edited:
I guess I should have posted my current "3 watch" rotation. Although I wear others, these would be my keepers in my criteria above.

The Pilot watch is an $75 sterile dial Tandorio from AliExpress. I would like to add a Hamilton or Laco in my price range.

Looks like I have 1 rubber, 1 leather and 1 fabric too. That happened organically as I prefer Rubber in Dive, Leather on field and wanted to try a parachute strap on the pilot.

PXL_20231228_145125610.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I should have posted my current "3 watch" rotation. Although I wear others, these would be my keepers in my criteria above.

The Pilot watch is an $75 sterile dial Tandorio from AliExpress. I would like to add a Hamilton or Laco in my price range.

Looks like I have 1 rubber, 1 leather and 1 fabric too. That happened organically as I prefer Rubber in Dive, Leather on field and wanted to try a parachute strap on the pilot.

View attachment 1771143
Laco with a Miyota movement start at 340.00 Retail. If you order from outside the EU 19% VAT will be deducted but you might face import duties.

From the watches I own:

Dress: Bulova Beau Brummel
Sport: Omega Seamaster GMT
Tool: Casio Oceanus S-100 in Titanium/Solar/Atomic
or
Digital: Casio G shock or Worldtimer

Ok I will play. Presumptions:
1. Quartz and mechanical are in play.
2. Prices and styles linked below are illustrative, not definitive.
3. Dress is a analog watch on a strap, Sport is an analog watch on a bracelet, Tool/Digital is obvious if digital, subjective relative to "Sport."
4. Apologies in advance for formatting errors
5. Watches recommended are generally available
6. Watches are new
7. No Microbrands on this list

There are endless variations which makes one's BUDGET A REALLY CRITICAL COMPONENT OF THIS EXERCISE. ERGO MY ASK.
(caps intentional)

100USD Max for 3 watch set
DRESS: Casio at 36 ish
Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Casio-EAW-MTP-1183E-7A-Mens-Watch-MTP1183E-7A/dp/B0013LKFPU/ref=asc_df_B0013LKFPU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312105401025&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6324577456173292196&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007526&hvtargid=pla-464358167660&psc=1&mcid=b64b654e92ff31f090a203cc747342e9&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4u7frYOzgwMVrFN_AB2EKA9AEAQYASABEgIOevD_BwE

SPORT: Casio at 47 ish

TOOL/DIGITAL: Casio world timer at 20 ish

300USD MAX for 3 watch set
DRESS: Orient Bambino at 137USD (auto)
Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/ORIENT-Bambino-Classic-Automatic-SAC00009N0/dp/B01KLNNHDM/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=657208639602&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9007526&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12266215406755183014&hvtargid=kwd-43965304472&hydadcr=27474_14672362&keywords=orient+bambino&qid=1703798502&sr=8-1

SPORT: Citizen Chronograph 120ish USD

TOOL/DIGITAL: Casio World Timer 20ish USD as linked above.

1000USD MAX for 3 watch set

Dress:
Tissot: Visodate Automatic 465USD (Auto/Sapphire)
Tissot Visodate Powermatic 80 Automatic Black Dial Men's Watch T118.430.16.051.00 - https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-visodate-powermatic-80-automatic-black-dial-mens-watch-t118-430-16-051-00.html

SPORT: Orient Triton 220 USD (Auto/Sapphire)

TOOL/DIGITAL G-Shock Casioak with Metal case 180USD ish

3000USD Max

DRESS: LONGINES Moon Phase (auto/sapphire) 1900 USD

SPORT: Citizen Tsuya (auto/sapphire) 300 ish USD

TOOL: Dekla Aviators watch (Auto/sapphire/antisctarch hardened case) 650ish

10000USD MAX

DRESS: CARTIER Tank Quartz 3700 USD
https://www.cartier.com/en-us/watches/collections/tank/tank-must-watch-CRWSTA0041.html

SPORT: Grand Seiko Spring Drive 5200 USD

TOOL: Hamilton Khaki Field Murph 1100 USD

Last edited:
So I've been thinking about consolidating down to a 3 watch collection. What would you choose as your three watch collection? If you already have one, what is it? What would be your approach? Dress, Sport, and Daily? Different colors? Different brands? Different countries? What are your thoughts?
My first reaction is a Dress, Diver, and Field. Maybe swapping the field watch out for a chronograph. But any fairly conservative watch color + size can work as a dress watch for most people in today's causal environment. As for colors I might choose a white dial dress watch, black dial diver, and whatever other color you most prefer for the third.

But the best advice I think is to pick 3 watches that you really, really like regardless of their style category. Or set a total watch budget whether it is $100, 1K, 5k, ... and keep as many as will fit. While I can appreciate pairing down to a 3 watch rotation, especially after going through the experience of wearing many different ones, I think it is also reasonable to keep a full watch box around. Keeping 10 watches allows more room to keep a sentimental timepiece, a rarely worn dress piece, as well as more colors and case sizes to round out things.

My six watch collection is mostly entry level Swiss made watches:

Certina DS Caimano
Tissot Gentleman Powermatic 80 Silicium
Tissot Visodate
Longines Conquest Heritage
Frédérique Constant Classic Index
Eterna Eternity

View attachment 1771143

I like the aesthetic of the Laco, but the Hamilton Aviator has a better movement. That’s the one I chose

If you are doing that, a smart watch has lots of extras that you might like. Heart rate monitor, can record steps, distance, altitude changes. Can tie in to other apps to record your workouts. Measure blood pressure. Control your music, if you listen while you run. Heaps of stuff.

I wasn't sold on smart watches for a long time, but since getting gifted an Apple watch I have found dozens of things in it I actually use. At the very least I use it daily to make my phone ping so I can remember where I put it down.
You do not need a watch for that, just call Siri : Hey Siri where are you ? just try you shall see . I assume you have an iPhone to ping it with your Apple Watch

IMG_3218.JPEG

Citizen Eco - Daily driver -gift from SWMBO
Bulova - Dress - Gift from SWMBO
Bertucci - Beat around - was my daily before the Citizen

I don't like complications beyond date.

Bertucci is titanium, very light, recessed crystal makes it hard to scratch. Waterproof. My only complaint, and its minor, is there are no pins for the band, they are cast into the body so only thread through bands can be used. Of course, it does make it harder to lose.

Don't care for digital, my interest in time is more relative - is it close to lunch, etc., versus the exact time.

I’m not really sure. Pretty happy with what I’ve got.

Unlimited budget? Maybe a diver with preferably a navigator (hr) bezel to alleviate the need for a GMT. Probably a Marathon because I’ve come to really like tritium. Or a cleaner faced Ball maybe.

Maybe a dress watch, but I don’t “need” one.

Third? I don’t know. Maybe an upgrade to the Garmin 405 below. The strap aged out and broke, and I haven’t been able to find a replacement strap

Current watches that I’m perfectly satisfied with.

MWC T2 G10 tritium is my daily and can fit under a cuff nicely. And I can see what time it is in the dark without having to put on glasses.

Suunto Vector that replaced a 1st gen atomic solar G-shock (3rd G-shock) that quit on me.

Garmin 405 that replaced a 401 that I wish I hadn’t shattered the screen of.

IMG_7130.jpeg

IMG_7503.jpeg

1. Casio G-Shock MR-G Square. Insanely comfortable, Grand Seiko levels of quality, perfect Bluetooth synced accuracy, and you can wear it literally anywhere and folks will think it’s a $75 watch, not a $3,500 watch. It will also take a ridiculous beating. Great travel watch, but it’s also a lovely daily - and I wear these (I have a few) quite a bit now a-days.

2. Rolex Yachmaster in rose gold on an Oysterflex bracelet. This is another insanely comfortable watch to wear, and it can also take an incredible beating, this one was worn as a daily for 5 years, and I didn’t take it off when I did rough/physical activities. People never notice this watch, and despite it being solid gold, it gets far less attention than my stainless steel Hulk, and I generally like to fly under the radar. In 5 years, it barely got more than a half dozen looks and only three people ever commented on it, one of which was a customer in a Rolex boutique. Very cool watch, and this was a big watch for Rolex’s history. This is a great watch for casual wear, but also looks perfectly acceptable, albeit a bit technical, in a suit and tie - so it can be worn often.

3. Lange 1815 in white gold. This watch can easily be dressed up or down by changing the strap, and is equally at home in a tuxedo or shorts and a t-shirt (especially with a suede strap). 99.99% of the public has no idea this is a high end watch, and the only folks that do are fellow watch nerds who are harmless. Due to how thin this watch is, it’s also another supremely comfortable watch to wear.

View attachment 1781703

1. Casio G-Shock MR-G Square. Insanely comfortable, Grand Seiko levels of quality, perfect Bluetooth synced accuracy, and you can wear it literally anywhere and folks will think it’s a $75 watch, not a $3,500 watch. It will also take a ridiculous beating. Great travel watch, but it’s also a lovely daily - and I wear these (I have a few) quite a bit now a-days.

2. Rolex Yachmaster in rose gold on an Oysterflex bracelet. This is another insanely comfortable watch to wear, and it can also take an incredible beating, this one was worn as a daily for 5 years, and I didn’t take it off when I did rough/physical activities. People never notice this watch, and despite it being solid gold, it gets far less attention than my stainless steel Hulk, and I generally like to fly under the radar. In 5 years, it barely got more than a half dozen looks and only three people ever commented on it, one of which was a customer in a Rolex boutique. Very cool watch, and this was a big watch for Rolex’s history. This is a great watch for casual wear, but also looks perfectly acceptable, albeit a bit technical, in a suit and tie - so it can be worn often.

3. Lange 1815 in white gold. This watch can easily be dressed up or down by changing the strap, and is equally at home in a tuxedo or shorts and a t-shirt (especially with a suede strap). 99.99% of the public has no idea this is a high end watch, and the only folks that do are fellow watch nerds who are harmless. Due to how thin this watch is, it’s also another supremely comfortable watch to wear.
What’s your opinion on the new Titanium Yachtmaster that came out 2023?

Top Bottom