What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Tudor still running pretty great after two weeks, currently running at -2 SPD which is well within COSC specs

DB4519F6-FCC6-4ACC-89D0-723E1EEF3462.jpeg

This photo highlights one of my watch peeves. Even with a hacking seconds there is no corresponding minute hand hacking-like function on the majority of watches. Resulting in the minute hand being nearly always misaligned with the seconds hand.
orange-monster-20190523.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
This photo highlights one of my watch peeves. Even with a hacking seconds there is no corresponding minute hand hacking-like function on the majority of watches. Resulting in the minute hand being nearly always misaligned with the seconds hand.
View attachment 982991

I'm not sure about the Monster pictured, mine is an earlier version, but I have never been unable to properly relate the minute hand to the second. On a non-hacker like mine (pictured above) you just pressure the winder in reverse like you do to "hack" that type of movement. A bit tricky on the Russian Scuba Dudes as the second hand jumps when released, but usually you can figure it out if it matters that much to you ...

Even a very famous Swiss watch with hacking movements requires some finesse, as the minute hand usually starts movement a hair later than when the hack is made, thus ending up misaligned on the next turn, unless the minute hand is started a halfhair forwards of the mark ...

My pet peeve is when the bezel marker isn't aligned, which requires dis & reassembly to correct. The on pictured has half clicks so is probably ok

I'm not sure about the Monster pictured, mine is an earlier version, but I have never been unable to properly relate the minute hand to the second. On a non-hacker like mine (pictured above) you just pressure the winder in reverse like you do to "hack" that type of movement. A bit tricky on the Russian Scuba Dudes as the second hand jumps when released, but usually you can figure it out if it matters that much to you ...

Even a very famous Swiss watch with hacking movements requires some finesse, as the minute hand usually starts movement a hair later than when the hack is made, thus ending up misaligned on the next turn, unless the minute hand is started a halfhair forwards of the mark ...

My pet peeve is when the bezel marker isn't aligned, which requires dis & reassembly to correct. The on pictured has half clicks so is probably ok
I am still wearing the orange monster and you are correct that the bezel was one click off until just now. :)

On a non-hacking movement I either ignore second hand alignment or try to set the minute hand in real time as the second hand came around to noon.

You bring up an interesting point about when exactly when does the minute hand engage after the being set/started. I have wondered the same about my quartz watch... whether the second/minute start exactly at zero'd time or some random milliseconds earlier depending on what the internal quartz beat counter had accumulated.

You bring up an interesting point about when exactly when does the minute hand engage after the being set/started. I have wondered the same about my quartz watch... whether the second/minute start exactly at zero'd time or some random milliseconds earlier depending on what the internal quartz beat counter had accumulated.
It usually makes a difference if you wind the minute hand up to the minute, or back to the minute before setting it. I play around with my watches till I find exactly which way to move the minute hand prior to setting (that makes it spot on). It's handy to write down your setting methodology for each watch so you get it right each time, but no big deal if you forget or can't be bothered.

Also (when the crown is at 3 o'clock) I hold the watch by the stap with both hands, with 9 o'clock up, and press the crown onto my working surface on the signal (to stop any slight finger movement altering the setting when the crown's pressed).

It usually makes a difference if you wind the minute hand up to the minute, or back to the minute before setting it. I play around with my watches till I find exactly which way to move the minute hand prior to setting (that makes it spot on). It's handy to write down your setting methodology for each watch so you get it right each time, but no big deal if you forget or can't be bothered.

Also (when the crown is at 3 o'clock) I hold the watch by the stap with both hands, with 9 o'clock up, and press the crown onto my working surface on the signal (to stop any slight finger movement altering the setting when the crown's pressed).
That is a good point to note each watch's how-to-best-set "personality" and proceed accordingly. And how to avoid disturbing the hands when pushing in the crown.

I have a few quartz watches and have been tempted to construct some type of wooden jig that would allow them to be "started" at the same time. So that one press would start them all. To see which ones would stay in sync and for how long.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Beater day - Scooba Dood that needs the crystal polished out .. but the seconds hand is synced with the minutes ..

IMG_9289.JPG

Top Bottom