What's new

Watch gear scales, take two. This time in wood.

I'm not certain what kind of wood it is, there has been a chunk of it in my garage forever. It was certainly easier to work with than the micarta I used previously. There is a thin wedge under the key head, and everything lines up nicely. Sad to say, that is a rarity for me!

I thought it the perfect foil for that unique Wosty blade:

20200307_000210.jpg

20200307_000243.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm not familiar with all timbers but it is rather difficult to tell. It appears as though you have sanded across the grain.

I was thinking the same however the cross grain score makes were putting me off.
The other pic I just posted looks more like his...mahogany has some weird iridescent grain patterns for sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with all timbers but it is rather difficult to tell. It appears as though you have sanded across the grain.

Yes, it looks striped! Funny thing is that I sanded lengthwise the entire time. I just could not make those lines go away. Here's a picture of the piece they came from.

20200307_110139.jpg

Interesting, I remember a member - Tumtatty maybe - that did something similar back in, maybe 2012? Search steampunk scales and it should come up. He might have used copper, not sure. I always wanted someone to do a set where the gears turned when you open the blade.

The crosswise lines are called rays. They are a desirable feature in woodworking.
Most times the wood must be cut in a quarter sawn fashion to see this figure.
Nice looking scales Jon.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Those scales are too cool. I've been thinking something like that would look good on my old W/B.

Top Bottom