What's new

Watch Collection Downsizing?

My "collection" is, to me, the sweet spot: one thin, dressy gold one with a black leather band, a very simple stainless one that uses different nylon straps, and a pocket watch I can drop into my golf bag or the pocket of a dinner jacket.

I feel similar. One day I might get to a 3 watch collection - everyday/GADA watch (stainless steel sport watch on bracelet), dress watch on leather band, and a beater.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I feel similar. One day I might get to a 3 watch collection - everyday/GADA watch (stainless steel sport watch on bracelet), dress watch on leather band, and a beater.
The 3-watch lineup resonates with me: dress watch, field watch and a beater. Also greatly prefer high-quality low-priced mechanical watches by such manufacturers as Seiko (your Alpinist is amazing), Orient, and Military Watch Co. Watches that can be passed on to others, but don’t break the bank to acquire or service.

Quick update to this thread, and a hearty thank you to everyone for their suggestions and input! I am in the process of downsizing to the following five watches:

Everyday: Seiko Alpinist
Everyday: Archimede Outdoor Protect 39
Dress: Timex Marlin (hand wound, California dial)
Field/Beater: Citizen Chandler Field (Great little watch. Getting a lot of wrist time on vacation this week.)
Beater: DW5600 (square G-shock)

I may keep one of my vintage watches simply because I can't bear to possibly let it go to someone who wouldn't appreciate it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Tough decisions. I’ve only traded a few watches. I tend to cling to them. Also selling can be somewhat problematic in terms of getting good value on the second hand market. I traded an oris watch I had once and it was just really getting rid of it. I got so little for it based on the brand and the market.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Option 1: Keep the Alpinist, Archimede, and Citizen; get rid of everything else. Go with these pieces and see how I feel.

I like the "one step at a time" approach. Maybe get rid of one watch, wait a couple months, then another, wait a couple months ... as your collection slowly changes, see how you feel about it. At some point maybe you want to add that Tudor or some other watch.

You don't have to decide it all at once now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just inherited a bunch of sentimental cheapo watches that need batteries.

My plan is to replace the dead batteries and gift them to family.

But keep one, to wear in remembrance.

I'm at a point that I could afford an expensive watch, but know that it would never be worn, and wish I'd spent the money on my kid.

So, I feel your pain. I need to reduce my kollection to make the Empress happy!

Mr. Speedy. I think you got it covered, particularly if one of the every days is on a bracelet v a strap. if not, Perhaps adding a Tissot PRX to the mix and holding until the Tudor/Oris/Sinn mechanical bug really bites ?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Congratulations on making the decision on what to keep and enjoy. I think the Tudor is a cool wristwatch but I doubt you feel much different with it on than the Alpinist.

This year I took the burn it down method selling off all expensive wristwatches. Sold my last two “Luxury” watches today in fact.

Wearing simple vintage Seiko for the time being ( these are not super cheap by most people’s standards) and decided that I just didn’t feel that much different with a $20000 piece on my wrist or a simple Seiko. I was addicted to watches for about 7 years. Prior to that I spent 8 years irrationality accumulating shaving gear.

Finding that 7-8 years seems to be my cycle… LOL.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Congratulations on making the decision on what to keep and enjoy. I think the Tudor is a cool wristwatch but I doubt you feel much different with it on than the Alpinist.

This year I took the burn it down method selling off all expensive wristwatches. Sold my last two “Luxury” watches today in fact.

Wearing simple vintage Seiko for the time being ( these are not super cheap by most people’s standards) and decided that I just didn’t feel that much different with a $20000 piece on my wrist or a simple Seiko. I was addicted to watches for about 7 years. Prior to that I spent 8 years irrationality accumulating shaving gear.

Not to derail the thread but welcome to vintage seiko (addiction) what did you get ?
I’ve got a 1969 that unfortunately needs new gaskets.

Mr. Speedy. I think you got it covered, particularly if one of the every days is on a bracelet v a strap. if not, Perhaps adding a Tissot PRX to the mix and holding until the Tudor/Oris/Sinn mechanical bug really bites ?

Both of my every day watches are on a bracelet. The Alpinist will get swapped out for a canvas over leather band once the weather breaks. I love the look of the PRX but it's just a shade too big.

Wow - congratulations on the sales! Your earlier "burn it down" sell off was on my mind when I was deciding what to do. I do feel more relaxed now that I have made my decisions.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Both of my every day watches are on a bracelet. The Alpinist will get swapped out for a canvas over leather band once the weather breaks. I love the look of the PRX but it's just a shade too big.

Wow - congratulations on the sales! Your earlier "burn it down" sell off was on my mind when I was deciding what to do. I do feel more relaxed now that I have made my decisions.
I never fully regret any sale…. Well maybe the made in 1901 Paris Straight Razor Frameback Gentleman’s Set I sold off years ago that were a gift to the Arch Bishop of Canada that I purchased from a museum. Wish I had those back. Watches? Nope they all got burnt down. I’d likely never sell the “right” Patek if I found one though!

Top Bottom