What's new

Washers - where to find them

Does anyone know where I can source decent washers for rescaling vintage razors?

I've ordered a couple online, but they are clearly not similar to the originals.

The middle pin is an original washer. The razor on the left is a replacement, and the scale on the anvil is one that I bought that claimed to be similar to vintage washers...However, as you can see it's HUGE. All of the razors I have have washers similar to the one in the middle.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1625618628579.png

Maggard sells a kit with washers similar to the middle one. I also got the Aust kit from them (with a tack instead of a rod) and the washer for that is bigger. Not as big as the one on your anvil. But it's convex, not flat.

Maggard sells a kit with washers similar to the middle one. I also got the Aust kit from them (with a tack instead of a rod) and the washer for that is bigger. Not as big as the one on your anvil. But it's convex, not flat.

Thanks!

I was not familiar with that company, but as I'm in Canada, that is good to know!

Cheers!

Try this ebay sellerhttps://www.ebay.com/sch/ajkenne4xm3/m.html?item=253423729877&hash=item3b013b3cd5%3Ag%3A2-UAAOSwmZhgRtJZ&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I also purchased the Maggard kit and the washers are the correct size for what you want. I also purchased the Aust kit and I thought the washers were too small for my liking.
As an aside I would like to know who manufactures the various rosettes you seem to be able to buy from various eBay sellers. Where do they buy them? Someone must manufacture them.

Try this ebay sellerhttps://www.ebay.com/sch/ajkenne4xm3/m.html?item=253423729877&hash=item3b013b3cd5%3Ag%3A2-UAAOSwmZhgRtJZ&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Ha! This is embarrassing - he's the guy I bought the other ones from! I guess I didn't look carefully enough around his vendor page!

Thanks for the find!

I have been using size #0 washers from Microfasteners in Easton, PA. The size #1 washers are too large to be used by themselves with 1/16 inch rod. Here's the deal:

FWB0 is slightly smaller then the original washers on my Sheffield razors.
FWBW0 is noticeably larger than the original washers.
FWS00 is very close to the original washers, but it is stainless.

The outer diameter of the original washers on my Sheffield razors are very close to 5/32 inch.

I have been using the FWB0 and been pretty happy.

Metal SKU Size Inner Diameter Outer Diameter Thickness
------------------------------------------------------------------
Brass FWB0 #0 0.064 1/8 0.017
Brass FWBW0 #0 0.064 3/16 0.017
Brass FWB1 #1 0.075 5/32 0.17
Stainless Steel FWS00 #0 0.064 (?) 0.165 0.017 (?)
Stainless Steel FWSS0 #0 0.062 0.125 0.017
Stainless Steel FWSW0 #0 0.062 0.250 0.017
Stainless Steel FWS01 #1 Does not say.

Top Bottom