What's new

Was it a right or a stupid decision on my part?

To the detriment of my wallet the Simpson 2-band silvertips are my favorites. My top-three joy-giving Simpson brushes are all 2-band. They just feel luxe to me and as @Ron R just pointed out, some days that is just what the doctor ordered. I see an M-7 2-band in my future. Maybe next year. If I had it in hand now, I'D USE IT.

Use it. If it doesn’t meet your expectations, sell it at a marginal loss and chalk it up to getting to experience a world class brush.

There are worse things you could spend a few hundred bucks on.... Cocaine, hookers, gambling, night at the pub, etc...

I don’t understand buying brushes and razors just to look at (Backups aside). I want to use them as soon as I get them regardless of the cost.

Some guys are collectors where they buy stuff and never use it. It just sits in the package and they pick it up and start at it every once in a while. Collecting is expensive. For me, I'm not a collector, so I either use what I buy or it gets sold off.

So think about why you bought this brush. Are you a collector? Because if you are, you can certainly be collecting items that will appreciate much more than a shaving brush. Like for example, maybe some shares of stock in a company. Unlike an investment in a company the price of this shaving brush isn't going to go up, it'll likely depreciate over time.

What are you saving it for, the next guy? You wouldn't say "I'm not going to sleep with my wife, so that the next guy will enjoy it".
You bought the brush to use it, to bring you some happiness and enjoyment, so do just that and use it.

There are no cabinet queens allowed in my den. Everyone has to earn their keep particularly those on the big salaries. I’m pretty sure you are going to love it. They are tough brushes too. They’re unlikely to fall on you.

+1! Give it a slot in your rotation! :a29:

In the (highly unlikely) event that you don’t enjoy the brush, then you can always post on BST!

Disclaimer: i dont't seek to offend anyone.

I assume both of you aren't collectors.

SO... what the heck is wrong with you guys? Grap those brushes and use them full of pleasure. Enjoy them. Fall in love with them. Even more.

You can thank us later but now lather these brushes and off you go!

PS:
We expect your review here soon. And don't forget to post some pics... we love pics. C'mon. You can do it! The magic of these shaving juwels will remain...

Last edited:
I know this may be a stupid question because I'm asking it retrospectively, but I will explain you why. Not so long ago I've decided to bite the bullet and spend some serious money on Simpsons Chubby 2 "Two Band" Silvertip. My hands were shaking cause it was the most expensive brush I've ever bought and also a Special Edition. It was one of their last. I was not sure up to the last minute. But I tried to convince myself by the fact that I really like Simpsons in general and their Chubby line especially. I already have their Chubbies in Best and "regular" Super. I love them, but they were not as expensive and not as rare. I kind of treat this brush like a gem and still haven't mustered the courage to use it for the first time. Yes! I'm that afraid to be disappointed. Any words of encouragement for me?

But if you never use it you will have wasted all that money!

Seriously, use it and enjoy; or, learn that sometimes price doesn't always demonstrate worth. 'sides... you can sell it if you don't like it!
But the only person who should collect mint examples for posterity would be the man who has all his needs already met and has money and permission (from SWMBO) to 'invest' for the returns.

By-the-by, I too did this for a Manchurian limited edition 'Duke' on the Simpson website. Yes, it was damn expensive in the scheme of things, but... it's a good brush, and even after 20 uses, I can't see much relaxation of the bristle or change in the knot at all. It may take an entire year's worth of use before it stands diffidently to a new example. My reasoning? "I just had to know."

Last edited:
If you use it and don't like it I am sure there is some other sucker* here who would take that burden off your hands.

IMO, and I have owned and still own a LOT of Simpson brushes, you have a very nice brush and should use it and enjoy it. Simpson Best Badger brushes are not what they used to be. The knots are generic and the hair quality is mediocre. Ten years ago, the knots were still shaped lovely and the Best Badger hair was silky smooth. They are no longer in the same league, but the SiLVERTiP and, for the most part Manchurian hair, is still quite nice.

I know this may be a stupid question because I'm asking it retrospectively, but I will explain you why. Not so long ago I've decided to bite the bullet and spend some serious money on Simpsons Chubby 2 "Two Band" Silvertip. My hands were shaking cause it was the most expensive brush I've ever bought and also a Special Edition. It was one of their last. I was not sure up to the last minute. But I tried to convince myself by the fact that I really like Simpsons in general and their Chubby line especially. I already have their Chubbies in Best and "regular" Super. I love them, but they were not as expensive and not as rare. I kind of treat this brush like a gem and still haven't mustered the courage to use it for the first time. Yes! I'm that afraid to be disappointed. Any words of encouragement for me?

It needs to be loved and used as it's meant to be, it's not ornament on the mantle its a shaving brush get it lathered up.

I am in a similar boat. I now have 4 Simpson brushes, all lower end brushes but still I splurged big money for me and finally bought me some Simpson brushes. I have not used one. I take them out of the lovely red boxes and look at them adoringly, rub them over my face and then pack them away.
Small correction, I just checked I have 5 Simpson brushes not 4.

OMG Andrew!!! What you have 5 and not used??? come on getting them suckers used to show them some love. Peace out man lol

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I felt the same about buying my contributor shavemac Silvertip. The most expensive brush I own. I mean to tell you, IT IS MARVELOUS! AND It has never shed a hair from day 1. Enjoy it!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
B6D3C716-114F-42EE-90D6-1F27DD6B761F.jpeg37277B5A-FDA5-482D-8A70-00703A36F02F.jpeg498E77CD-133A-4236-AC87-F09E2FB3778A.jpeg
Well Gents, I finally gave in a gave one a spin. I finished up picking the little Simpson Special Pure Badger. It only lost 3 hairs in its first run. Hopefully it won’t lose too many more. I used Proraso White Tub for the initial use. No test soaps just straight into service. I will use this one for the next week and see how it goes. Seems pretty dense knot wise to me.

Top Bottom