What's new

Was it a right or a stupid decision on my part?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I know this may be a stupid question because I'm asking it retrospectively, but I will explain you why. Not so long ago I've decided to bite the bullet and spend some serious money on Simpsons Chubby 2 "Two Band" Silvertip. My hands were shaking cause it was the most expensive brush I've ever bought and also a Special Edition. It was one of their last. I was not sure up to the last minute. But I tried to convince myself by the fact that I really like Simpsons in general and their Chubby line especially. I already have their Chubbies in Best and "regular" Super. I love them, but they were not as expensive and not as rare. I kind of treat this brush like a gem and still haven't mustered the courage to use it for the first time. Yes! I'm that afraid to be disappointed. Any words of encouragement for me?

Space_Cadet

Ah, my bad, posted this in the DE forum. Admins, please put it in the brushes sub-forum. :)

You must use it as soon as possible to determine it is not a shedder; there are a few of them reported in the forums. I expect you will be very pleased with it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am in a similar boat. I now have 4 Simpson brushes, all lower end brushes but still I splurged big money for me and finally bought me some Simpson brushes. I have not used one. I take them out of the lovely red boxes and look at them adoringly, rub them over my face and then pack them away.
Small correction, I just checked I have 5 Simpson brushes not 4.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Any brush, unless it is an exceptionally rare piece of history that belongs in a museum, is just a tool that exists to give you pleasure, it is not to be preserved for all eternity. I say use it, swirl it, scrub it, mash it, whatever you enjoy, and pay no regard to the naysayers who may caution against it. But, do what gives you pleasure, because it is your brush, if you just want to look at the brush and never use it, then do that. Sometimes, the anticipation is best, it never lets you down and never disappoints. I have had many years of pleasure from looking for a Darwin razor, precisely because I have never found one. I have no doubt that I would be massively disappointed in a Darwin were I to find one, and worse, the dream would be over. 👍

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
If it is any encouragement my experience with Simpsons' two band SiLVERTiP has been delightful, although it is limited to two Duke 3's that I have purchased within the past couple of years. Sweetest knots I have ever used. Are you considering sending it back?

Space_Cadet

If it is any encouragement my experience with Simpsons' two band SiLVERTiP has been delightful, although it is limited to two Duke 3's that I have purchased within the past couple of years. Sweetest knots I have ever used. Are you considering sending it back?

Glad to know it supposed to be that good. No, I'm not intending to send it back, I always wanted to try one, and from what I've read, most people say it is very good. Fingers crossed.

What's??? Stupid is as stupid does.

You made a decision. It was based on a deep want. Enjoy it!! It's a great brush. It was not made to just look at. It's a worker. Let it work.

Stupid? NO!!!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Assuming you pay all your bills and are a financially responsible person, I don't think there is anything wrong with having some affordable luxuries in your life. Life's short and you can't take it with you. In the grand scheme of things, even the most high end shaving brushes aren't that expensive compared to bespoke suits and luxury watches, let alone sports cars, yachts, private jets, etc. So yeah, if you splurge every once in a while, enjoy it. As far as whether the brush is "worth it", I honestly can't speak to that specific brush. However, in the realm of traditional wet shaving, I do think that brushes are the one thing that you do really get what you pay for in terms of increasing performance with increasing price. If you already like the lower-tier Chubbies, it certainly stands to reason you'll like the one with the premium knot even better. Happy shaving!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Although I am not a collector of shaving gear (two razors, two brushes, a year's supply of blades, and three partial soaps) I collect things in the kitchen. Items not used at least annually get given away. Start your clock (or calendar)!

Top Bottom