What's new

*Warning-Spoilers, see post #697* - HBO's Game of Thrones

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Some fan made a character safety chart. Looks pretty accurate to me.

83963F99-51BC-4550-A83C-57942ADAEEAB.jpeg

Nice chart...some well-thought out chuckles. Definitely add all dragons to "In Extreme Danger". No way any of them survive through the end of the series. NK takes one down this next ep in aerial dogfight.

Not this next ep, but the horde is dispatched with an obsidian-tipped arrow/spear/mega-bolt to the NK....probably the latter in King's Landing. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe Arya has WW face in her bag of tricks, and will take the NK out with Gendry's fancy new double-ended obsidispear. Is there a genuine medieval term for that type of weapon?

And yes, survivors of the Winterfell battle will escape via Yara's ships. Though I don't know how the survivors get to said ships. Isn't Winterfell quite a distance from water?...hundreds? of miles?
I'm gunna need a paper bag to breathe into at the ready this next ep. :001_07::001_unsur:a15:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I get a funny feeling that Jaime and Cersei are going to take each other out or that Jaime does it in a murder-suicide manner. As brother and sister and starcrossed lovers, it just feels like that's the way. As much as Jaime ought to go down in a blaze of glory while defending his commander, it seems he knows that he no longer deserves that honor and that he needs to be the one that puts an end to House Lannister.

Of course, he still has to handle Bronn, somehow. Anyone remember Bronn? Maybe Jaime goes down while defending Tyrion against Bronn.

Jorah is going down. He wouldn't have it any other way. He's already living on borrowed time, and he wants to go down in service.

Jon, Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, Dany, Bran, and even Tormund likely all will survive because they are part of the new order, and that's where things are going. That doesn't mean that any of them will take their traditional or expected places, though. Sansa is the Lady of Winterfell, and it seems she should remain so. Jon is heir to the Seven Kingdoms, and it seems he should take the Iron Throne. However, the old order is all but gone and continues to slip away. You don't make it through this Winter and just go back to normal after shuffling seats.

If we know anything about Got, though, we know that anyone may die at any time and that anyone may survive anything.

That said, there is one casualty I believe we all can count on: the Iron Throne. Again, no matter who makes it through the coming battle, even if it's the Night King and his army, the old order is over. Nothing embodies the old order more than the Iron Throne. Aegon, first of his name, created it, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that Aegon, sixth of his name, destroys it.

I agree that the Dany character has gone astray. I cannot figure out whether it is intentional or bad writing. There are some great examples of really bad writing recently. Weak, formulaic, etc. Dany used to be nuanced, basically with the good of humanity at her heart. Now she seems just power mad for no apparent reason. Why is it exactly that she insists that everyone bend the knee? That has to weaken he ability to form alliances. Why does she want to be queen of everything? Why would she be so oddly concerned abut who killed her father? Everyone including her knows he had to go. The character has shifted in ways that are inconsistent with her character previously.
Tyrion is likewise not consistent with his previous smart self. Bad, lazy writing methinks.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
basically with the good of humanity at her heart

I agree with everything you just said, except that. Dany has always pursued one goal, and one goal only: the Iron Throne. She believes that it is her birthright and that all simply should bow before her because of it. She has been a populist leader with a warped sense of justice from the beginning. She craves adoration and revels in her cruelty. From the moment she got out under her brother's thumb by marrying Khal Drogo, she's shown little humility, except when it served her purpose. She's almost as much "my way or the highway" as Cersei. The main difference between the two is that Dany finally demonstrated maturity and wisdom (granted, profoundly so) in listening to others and realizing that there is a greater threat. Still, she looks upon defeating the Night King less as a matter of serving the realm and more as her final hurdle to assuming the Iron Throne.

Frankly, I'd be scared to death if I were one of her subjects. Get on her bad side or in her way, and you're toast--literally.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t think it’s bad writing but rather intentional writing. Dany is a Targaryen. I think they have been showing her progression from sweetheart to Mad Queen. Just like her father. All she has ever wanted was to sit on the throne. All she has ever known is that is hers by birthright. And everyone along the way has been cautioning her to not be like her father. But it’s starting to come out.

Jon on the other hand could give two craps less about being a king or warden or anything. He’s never pursued that route for himself....yet....he consistently get’s put in charge. The Nights Watch, King of The North. And now King of the whole shebang.

I think this is on purpose. Dany has wanted nothing else for her entire life and now seems desperate for it and will stop at nothing to get it. While Jon has never wanted it, thought he was a bastard, and yet it keeps getting pushed on him.

That’s why I think end the end it will be Dany at Dragonstone as the Queen of the 7 Kingdoms minus The North. And Jon at Winterfell as King of the North, which now includes beyond the wall. They did make a point for Sansa to ask “what about The North”. And Dany was like “uhhh I thought we were getting somewhere”. And they kept harping on the Northmen not trusting outsiders and blah blah.

We'll see . . . she is the only character that is uncompromised (unless I am missing a vignette). That is more than enough reason for her to be spared.

We'll see . . . she is the only character that is uncompromised (unless I am missing a vignette). That is more than enough reason for her to be spared.

That nobility of character, pure ness of heart, didn’t help princess Shereen (sp?) one bit though, did it?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We expect the dead to be defeated, Cersei thrown down, and Jon to rule in the north with Dany in the south ... so none of that will happen.

GoT hates "happily ever after." Night King sits in the Iron Throne ... unless more of those "elves in the hollow tree" people come back and fix the mess they made.

AA

I don’t think it’s bad writing but rather intentional writing. Dany is a Targaryen. I think they have been showing her progression from sweetheart to Mad Queen. Just like her father. All she has ever wanted was to sit on the throne. All she has ever known is that is hers by birthright. And everyone along the way has been cautioning her to not be like her father. But it’s starting to come out.

Jon on the other hand could give two craps less about being a king or warden or anything. He’s never pursued that route for himself....yet....he consistently get’s put in charge. The Nights Watch, King of The North. And now King of the whole shebang.

I think this is on purpose. Dany has wanted nothing else for her entire life and now seems desperate for it and will stop at nothing to get it. While Jon has never wanted it, thought he was a bastard, and yet it keeps getting pushed on him.

That’s why I think end the end it will be Dany at Dragonstone as the Queen of the 7 Kingdoms minus The North. And Jon at Winterfell as King of the North, which now includes beyond the wall. They did make a point for Sansa to ask “what about The North”. And Dany was like “uhhh I thought we were getting somewhere”. And they kept harping on the Northmen not trusting outsiders and blah blah.

Thanks for the full exposition of this. You may well be right, but <Dany has wanted nothing else for her entire life> does not ring true to me. It would take me too much thought and more memory than I have to piece together specifics to support my thinking. It is more of a general sense.

<I think they have been showing her progression from sweetheart to Mad Queen.> That part sounds more right to me, except she does not seem particularly mad, but rather ruthless and ambitious. Previous I would have said her seeking of power was a means to an end--the end being a better world, at least for those who are loyal to her, generally underdogs in the world at large--and that the devotion of her troops to her has come because of her empathy, which comes through in her character and in her actions. I would also think that a character like her, who has been through some traumatic stuff, would have some PTSD aspects. That would create insecurities that would explain the need to control things, to be an absolute ruler of everything. But her character seems un-nuanced and simply arrogant at this point. A spoiled child, not a seasoned combatant that has had to go out and get everything she has!

Just MHO, though.

Re Brienne, I do not think it would be consistent with the rest of the story for someone who is simply good and strong to prevail. One has to be smart and self-protective in that world, just like any world.

She has a compass, and she lets it guide her actions without sway or variance. It comes with risk, both to life and psyche, but it is also a means of "protection" as well. If, and when, the end comes for Brienne, no one in the GoT milieu will be able to sully her name. She will be a paragon for others, the idyll for other knights to live up to.

And that is why, if GoT goes with an ending that is not "gimmicky" in some way, I think Brienne comes through in a position of, if not glory, at least one of stature. Who knows? If the prevailing thought of Dany in the South, and Jon in the North comes to pass, the Night's Watch might need a new Commander.

Top Bottom