What's new

WARM shaving soaps?

So I know there are menthol cool shaving soaps that everyone loves in the summer, but are there any warm soaps that would be perfect for a cold northeastern winter? Do warm shave soaps even exist?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Any sandalwood; that's considered "warm."

Stirling Hot Apple Cider rocks this time of year, but it's probably temperature-neutral.

Tabac is also considered cold-weather.

AA

Soaps that give a warming sensation? Not that I have found. Sandalwoods, Bay Rums, and woody pine scents are good cold weather scents for me. Captain's Choice Cat O Nine Tails aftershave will heat you up pretty good, so maybe the soap does as well? I haven't tried it though.

I get an uncomfortable burning sensation with Caties LPV - does that count? :blushing:
Some use a scuttle to keep their lather warm - that's probably the best option?

Good luck!

I would say just about any shaving soaps that has a "warm" scent to it and isn't mentholated would be just fine for counterbalancing the cold weather. Some of my favorites:

CRSW Boix Floreaux (I'm sure I butchered the spelling there)
Reef Point Aviator (not just leather, nice vetiver in there as well)
B&M Seville
...and any Stone Cottage Soap Works cream (comes in a tub, loads up much like a soft soap) - they're all scented very "warm".

+1 to using a scuttle if you're after a "warm" lather. I exclusively face lather, but my barber still uses a warm lather machine and straight to finish off my neck and sideburns which is lovely.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Add some cayenne, that should heat things up.

Only kidding, I would certainly not recommend that. :lol:

Find a fragrance ingredient that you get skin irritation from (cinnamon and sandalwood both fit under that category pretty often, incidentally), that'll burn your face up real good :p

(Seriously don't do that tho, fragrance irritation is in no way pleasant)

I don't think there are any exothermic soaps or creams on the market. It would probably be dangerous from a liability standpoint.

Menthol doesn't actually make the lather cold; it just makes it FEEL cold. There is no equivalent on the warm side of things. In other words, there is no ingredient that doesn't actually warm the lather but makes it FEEL warm.

I agree with others that the best thing is to get a scent that's appropriate for the season and then use a scuttle.

Add some cayenne, that should heat things up.

Only kidding, I would certainly not recommend that. :lol:

Oh man! This reminds me of the prank on youtube where a woman added hot sauce to her husbands aftershave. Burnt him pretty good. Ouch!

:blush: Gentlemen, the OP never said specifically a warming or burning sensation, just a "warm soap," which I took to mean a warmly scented soap. Unless I mistook the question.

Installing a ceiling exhaust fan with a heater was the best thing I ever did for winter shaving. I don't know of any warm soaps.

I interpreted OP's comment as a search for a soap that had an ingredient that would make the soap feel "warm" like what menthol does. Not sure if such an ingredient exists or can be added without adverse effects.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
:blush: Gentlemen, the OP never said specifically a warming or burning sensation, just a "warm soap," which I took to mean a warmly scented soap. Unless I mistook the question.

He did, in fact, contrast it to a menthol soap which has a "cooling" effect and not necessarily a cold scent. Just sayin'

So I know there are menthol cool shaving soaps that everyone loves in the summer, but are there any warm soaps that would be perfect for a cold northeastern winter? Do warm shave soaps even exist?

When you say "warm":

Do you mean a warm soothing feeling as it is applied to your face or do you mean the scent which gives you an internal feeling of warmth or comfort?

I guess a poor example might be someone who is close to a burning fireplace which warms you up versus someone watching the fire from a distance but enjoying the sights and smells but not feeling its heat.

Top Bottom