What's new

Wanting to try a Carbon Kitchen Knife

I'm looking for suggestions on a carbon kitchen knife. Nothing fancy just something half decent to try it out. Second hand would be ok too.

After my experience with straight razors, I've lost my fear of carbon steel. I'd like to see if I'm able to put a better edge on a high carbon knife. I also suspect that these knives will respond better to my natural knife finishers. The trouble is that everything in the shops seems to be stainless these days. Western style is prefered but I'm happy to try a Japanese style if someone can explain how to hone the asymmetrical edge.

FWIW, of the three most commonly-seen Japanese knife styles (Gyuto, Santoku, Nakiri), none is asymmetrical. Asymmetrical is for specialty knives, knives with a single primary purpose.

A nice Gyuto would probably be a sensible choice. That's basically a thinner version of a Western chef knife, and with better steel.

There are a ton of options. I mean, a ton. Different lengths, different steels, different price ranges. I hardly know where to begin.

And yes, carbon steel knives will respond better to your natural knife finishers, no matter what they are. I don't use my natural finishers on anything stainless; there's just no payback for doing that, the way there is with carbon steel.

Oli does know knives. I bet you could find an old Cutco at a goodwill for nothing almost. I've got a couple that I found in a unit I was doing a make ready in and I almost threw them away. One a French knife one a chefs. They've got synthetic handles but they REALLY give me a good judge of how a stone behaves. I use them the same way you'd use a machete. I cut vines and branches with them and their edges are quite durable considering the preposterous abuse the experience. Never had one chip or roll. They aren't show knives but they have a pros and start tucked away for that. Using those knives on coticules is what made it click and got me so I can get actual, really really good shaving edge off of coticules. I've got a Chicago cutlery set that is good for that too. I think they stainless. They give a great read on a stone. If you want Japanese, i can't help at all, I've got 3 Japanese blades and i doubt any of the are high quality. If you want high quality knives for kitchen work the usually suspects around the knife forums are probably a good bet. If you want one to learn the steel(with the added benefit of zeroing in on a rock) there's several cheap American brands around. You could probably find an old union cutlery knife around for very cheap. Im going to start forging steel soon hopefully and the process of making different types/ grades of steel has been in my head lately.

Legion

Staff member
Yep, none of my Japanese knives are asymmetrical. Sharpen the same as a western, though usually at a slightly shallower angle.

Other cheap options might be carbon Chinese chefs knives which can be fun, or western knives like Old Hickory, which I believe are 1095.

Vintage stuff as well. Your mate at the old tool shop sells knives, from memory.

Legion

Staff member
Another inexpensive way to experiment might be to pick up a carbon Opinel pocket knife. You will be able to get one locally in your lunch break, and they are great value and take a great edge.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Masahiro Virgin Carbon. The bevel is 70/30 I think, but you’ll get used to it. They do make right and left handed versions I think, so caveat emptor.

You’ll need to smooth everything, but that’s true of everything at this price point.

Legion

Staff member
+1 @Legion I would recommend old hickory knives made from 1095 carbon steel. They have a kitchen set that is western style. Their butcher knife is most likely the easiest to obtain. It is often used for Bush-craft.
Yep. I have one I cut down and that is what I use it for, and a full one in my kitchen that is my beater knife, when I don't want to risk the blade of a more expensive knife on something hard.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Chicago Cutlery might be an option too. They are a brand under ‘Instant Brands’ (Insta Pot) which just filed for bankruptcy, so if you have the hots for them, grab some, they’re cheap.

Would something like this be any good?

Shiro Kamo Blue 2 Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm​

Capture.JPG

Not sure if Blue 2 Core is considered carbon steel. Sounds like it might be something in between.

Capture.JPG

Not sure if Blue 2 Core is considered carbon steel. Sounds like it might be something in between.

View attachment 1674229
The "Core" part means that this knife is made from two steels, a sandwich of softer steel over a harder steel core. In this case, the outside of the sandwich, aka the cladding, is carbon steel, as is the Blue 2 core steel. Any time you see white or blue steel mentioned, that's carbon steel.

+1 @Legion I would recommend old hickory knives made from 1095 carbon steel. They have a kitchen set that is western style. Their butcher knife is most likely the easiest to obtain. It is often used for Bush-craft.
Thank the good Lord that I'm not the only one that uses old decommissioned kitchen knives for craft stuff. I really really like that old, softer steel. I've got a piece of super soft steel(tools that comes with cheap bookcases or swing sets) and I use it to check the scratch pattern and polish of stones. One drag across it with a little pressure and it'll scratch very visibly. Quick circles with very light pressure and I can see the polish. The only thing I own made out of a newer alloy that I like is my fiskars 3/4 axe. I don't know what that stuff is but it keeps an edge forever. I don't like those super hard alloys on knives though. My kitchen knives I want to be able to put very specific edges, very quickly because I do a lot of butchering large cuts of meat and the occasional dressing of whole animals. A stone stays close during the processand is rather be able to throw a great edge on it quickly at regular intervals vs having to check it, albeit not often. I feel the same with razors. Chisels in torn on but I'm leaning toward softer (if there's no potential nails in the word). Crazy how detailed it gets, very very quickly.

Chicago Cutlery might be an option too. They are a brand under ‘Instant Brands’ (Insta Pot) which just filed for bankruptcy, so if you have the hots for them, grab some, they’re cheap.
I suggested them too. I have a set that was given to me and they take a great edge really quickly and hold it longer than id expect from them. Unless the wife throws them in the dishwasher.... regardless of what i say until I'm blue in the face. I actually really like mine as kitchen knives.

Very helpful gents. I think I'm getting somewhere. Here is another entry level option which looks promising. Not much between the two price wise.

Muneishi Blue 2 Gyuto 210mm​

1687308238270.png

I find Japanese asymmetrical knives much easier to hone. One of my favorites is an old carbon steel, unknow brand, Kanji stamped thrift store find. Takes a smoking edge and holds that edge like Hunter does his crack pipe.

Tons of great western Carbon Steel kitchen knives in the wild, some of my favorites are vintage Sabatier, Russell, Old Hickory, and Gerber.

Don’t overlook a $20 Chinese Chef Knife, (CCK) cleaver, lately one of my favorite. Takes and holds an edge, super easy and quick to hone and the ability to chop and scoop up vegies makes it the first knife I reach for, from 2 drawers full of vintage carbon steel and nice Sab collection.

Old Sabatier and Old Hickory come in second. Most of my vintage collection were purchased for less than $10 each, including Sabs.

Bought a near mint very old Sab slicer just a couple weeks ago from an antique store for $10.

Top Bottom