What's new

Want to upgrade from a Merkur 34c

Some great suggestions in this thread! However, the 34C is tough to beat in terms of shave quality IME. :a14::a14:

Perhaps an adjustable?

Some of my favorites are:
-Rockwell 6s or 6c (swappable plates)
-Parker Variant
-Gillette Slim or Fatboy
-Karve with different base plates

This echoes my advice. In terms of value for money, consider a used Gillette Fatboy in nice condition. I like mine much better than my slim, though YMMV.

Any quality adjustable can be dialled into the right setting for your beard, taking closeness and aggressiveness into account.

When you find your magic number, measure the blade gap and explore other razors in that range if you still have RAD.

I have over 12 razors in my rotation, but if I had to keep only one, it would be a Fatboy.

If you like the 34c, consider a 38c. The 38c is the same razor head with a longer, heavier, and some consider nicer handle. The extra weight will make the same head more efficient for many.

Personally, I moved from a 34c to a 38c to vintage Gillette’s. My Old Type, Goodwill #164, NEW SC and NEW LC give me better and more efficient shaves. I also have a 1957 Flare Tip Superspeed which many consider a mild razor that for me outperforms the 34c.

There is much love on these forums for the various Fatip razors.

The many new stainless steel razors can also be excellent, although pricier. My ATT is another keeper, but there are plenty of others out there as well.

Fortunately, there are many choices and with good technique most will provide excellent shaves.

Good luck and post what you decide on.

Many thanks for all your ideas, I have much to think on! Now all I need to do is make a decision...

This echoes my advice. In terms of value for money, consider a used Gillette Fatboy in nice condition. I like mine much better than my slim, though YMMV.

Any quality adjustable can be dialled into the right setting for your beard, taking closeness and aggressiveness into account.

When you find your magic number, measure the blade gap and explore other razors in that range if you still have RAD.

I have over 12 razors in my rotation, but if I had to keep only one, it would be a Fatboy.
An adjustable of some kind does sound like a definite possibility. I'll need to do some research, as I hadn't given these much thought previously.

Perhaps an adjustable?

Some of my favorites are:
-Rockwell 6s or 6c (swappable plates)
-Parker Variant
-Gillette Slim or Fatboy
-Karve with different base plates
I was becoming quite interested in buying a Rockwell of some kind, but unfortunately they seem quite hard to get hold of here in the UK. Back to the drawing board - something German is staring to look likely.

I use a 34c with two shims installed. It gives a little boost in the shave. The option is free and eliminates the chance of moving backwards with an aggressive razor purchase. Remember you can always add aggression, but you can't remove it.
MM879

I've bought 7 razors over the last few years trying to find one that gave me a better shave than the 34c (Progress, Standard, Futur, German slant etc....). None of them really did until I got a Rockwell 6s. Now that's my daily driver.

What about upgrading your BLADE instead? Try using a different blade before changing your razor. Also, I did use a tech for 10 years straight but i moved from shaving in the shower to the sink and my hair got coarser so things had to change. the tech just nearly sucks for me now. the merkur 34c is probably my favorite razor because it is so versatile. it isnt mild or aggressive and it is very cheap but made with high quality craftsmanship from Germany.

if you did want to change razors, i can only recommend 1 other, the Rockwell 6S (i know c is cheaper but i have enough chrome). I can't recommend the REX Ambassador unless you have the money to spend on it but lately I have been getting great shaves from it but like I said, for the cost if I had to choose, I would go with the Rockwell 6c. its $50 as opposed to $250 for the REX!

I started with a 34C and then bought two Phoenix Bakelite Slants (one in white, one in black). I use the Merkur when I'm running late and in a hurry, but my closest shaves are with the bakelite slant...but you gotta mind your p's and q's with that baby or you'll use quite a bit of your styptic pencil!

Sounds like all of us have used and very much liked the 34C. Sometimes the need for a little closer shave isn't the only reason for a change. Sometimes it's the desire to get the same shave but with fewer passes for less chance of irritation.

Slants, such as the 37C, are very comfortable but won't necessarily give a closer shave and they can really bite you if not careful.

The R41 will really amaze you with the shave quality, but yes, it demands more attention. Most can usually do one less pass and still have better results than with a less aggressive razor regardless of blade. Less passes, less chance of irritation, less chance of making mistakes.

Another razor, one I am growing fond of for ease of use and quality of shave is the RazoRock SLOC. It's a double open comb, not very aggressive, but more so than the 34C. Good audible feedback, well balanced, I've found it to work well with various blades, can't seem to note a downside. Relatively inexpensive, good addition to your toolbox even if it turns out not to be your top choice. For now it has moved my R41 into my #2 spot.

Bottom line, I don't think there is necessarily an upgrade to the 34C, only different razors providing slightly different levels of feel, feedback and balance. It boils down to what feels right to you to get that shave you are looking for.

You maybe be able to get some better suggestions if you tell us which travel razor you used. If you are thinking about an adjustable, I would recommend the Gillette Slim as you can still get them fairly cheap in nice condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You maybe be able to get some better suggestions if you tell us which travel razor you used. If you are thinking about an adjustable, I would recommend the Gillette Slim as you can still get them fairly cheap in nice condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a little hard to say - the razor was branded Geo F Trumper, but looks exactly like the Merkur open comb travel razor, so I suspect it is they who actually manufactured it.

What about upgrading your BLADE instead? Try using a different blade before changing your razor. Also, I did use a tech for 10 years straight but i moved from shaving in the shower to the sink and my hair got coarser so things had to change. the tech just nearly sucks for me now. the merkur 34c is probably my favorite razor because it is so versatile. it isnt mild or aggressive and it is very cheap but made with high quality craftsmanship from Germany.

if you did want to change razors, i can only recommend 1 other, the Rockwell 6S (i know c is cheaper but i have enough chrome). I can't recommend the REX Ambassador unless you have the money to spend on it but lately I have been getting great shaves from it but like I said, for the cost if I had to choose, I would go with the Rockwell 6c. its $50 as opposed to $250 for the REX!
Good idea, I've been using Personna Blues for a very long time after finding Derbys to be inconsistent and making a frankly disastrous foray into Feather territory (I just about managed to remove the top layer of my face). Maybe an assortment pack of blades would be worth a try before doing anything rash.

That was my path . 34c then the 37c. The slant is at my sink for my shaves at home every few days. The 34c is in a travel case because i shave more frequently on the road. (Nacets in both razors)

If you just want to step up the aggressiveness of the 34c, a cheap first step would be to try something like a voshkhod or feather blade in the merkur.

The Merkur 34C is a zinc razor. A fatip OC all brass razor would be a step up in the shave and the material and their QC has also improved !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom