What's new

want fall apart chicken

I am not getting super tender fall apart chicken from my electric pressure cooker. It cooks for 20 minutes and is done but not super tender like I want for pulled chicken sandwiches. is it a matter of cooking it longer?

These are boneless breasts by the way. If I slow cook them all day they will shred super easy so I know it is possible with chicken breasts.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ummm, good question on the pressure cooker. I'm thinking time is what makes things tender such as beef for stews. I've stewed chicken thighs low and slow in a Dutch with great results. Try that and see if it works for you.

You could try more time in the pressure cooker. My trusty pressure cooking cookbook (Pressure Cooking, by Alma Payne Ralston, Nitty Gritty Productions, 1977) lists 15 to 20 minutes at 15 pounds pressure, with a slow release of pressure. Also, most of the recipes in this particular book suggest browning the chicken in a bit of oil in the cooker prior to adding water and bringing it to temperature and pressure.

Definitely try cooking it longer. I usually need to cook a pork roast longer than the instructions call for with my pressure cooker if I want the roast to fall apart for great tender bbq pulled pork.

Slow cooker. In the morning, put in chicken, plenty of water, and desire spices/flavorings. Turn on and go to work. Come home and have fall apart chicken.

I tried pressure-cooking some Jerk chicken thighs a couple years ago ... gave it 15 minutes and the chicken was still raw ... put it back on for another 10 minutes and it was still tough and rubbery. I had to throw the batch away because it was inedible.

I don't think that more time is the answer ... some things just don't work in a pressure cooker, apparently, chicken is one of them.

If you get good results from a slow cooker, stick with that.

I never get fall apart chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Has to be in the oven all day at really low temp. I will try a whole bird and see how that goes next.

Thanks

Tenderise boneless thighs with a meat bashing device - more connective tissue to melt = more tender, fall apart meat

I cook several boneless, skinless chicken breasts every week that I cube and mix with steamed vegetables for my lunches at work. I'm not sure if my method will make yours "fall apart" like you wish but they are extremely tender and juicy so shredding by hand may be pretty easy.

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Place thawed chicken breast on pan lined with aluminum foil
3. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes
4. Turn off oven
5. Fold up the foil over chicken and seal it up
6. Place back in oven for 20 minutes (oven now off and cooling down)
7. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes
8. Open one end of foil and drain liquid into sink
9. Chicken is now ready to cut, shred, eat, etc.

It's worth a try.

I don't believe this is the first time I caught your signature line. Maybe I should start wearing onions on my belt (hmm, would that be a Mess Hall or Haberdashery topic?)

Now, my story begins in 19-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause that Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles...

Top Bottom