What's new

Wallabees....

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
They do, indeed, look more refined than the Wallabee, but my reflexively TNSIL sensibility misses the squared off tie, even though it is endearingly klunky. It is the same sensibility that does not appreciate penny loafers, tassel loafers, or Norwegian split toes that are not Aldens. Even if they are lovely, they just don't look "right." It is a sickness that has lingered since prep school when you could be ostracized for wearing shoes that were not Weejuns, even if they were nice and even if they cost more.

I'm not brand loyal in any way, never have been, but I am a stickler for my own style "rules", even if they are completely wrong to everyone else's mind. :lol1: And yes, I do find myself misaligned with people rather often on style issues :biggrin1:

These shoes look very well made and very comfortable, but wave a red flag at my aversion to profound "rain-catcher" tops. A completely irrational feeling, as they're clearly not rainy day shoes, I am currently typing this whilst wearing moccasin slippers, and I am a fan of deck shoes (I have three pairs) :facep: ... yet I'm afraid that pronounced pie crust is a big no-no for me. Sorry.

I hope they feel as comfortable as they look though. :thumbup1:

Now, I want different kinds of shoes. I guess you could say more casual, if not eclectic. Instead of a balmoral, how about Chelsea boots? Instead of wingtips, how about a chukka? Instead of shell cordovan, how about some suede? Instead of leather soles, how about some crepe?

I'm going through something similar myself. Since disability stopped me working, there's been a bit (actually a heck of a lot) of loss of self-identity. I think that may be what my recent shoe flurry has been fueled by. I think I've bought 10 pairs of shoes so far this year (all entry level "budget" offerings, just to test the feel of the style), and still don't feel "settled". Chelsea boots and desert boots never appealed before, but now I find myself scouring for bargains on them. I would never have bought two tone brogues before, nor a sole with a tread depth of less than 3mm, yet I've bought several this year.

I reckon it's a breakdown in the old "rules", and a bit of voyage of self-discovery as to what I might feel comfortable wearing now both me and my lifestyle are completely changed. That said, some of the old rules seem too deeply ingrained to shift. The rain-catcher top being just one example. Tassles and horizontal bands on loafers being another. I find monk shoes really quite repulsive, but for some unfathomable reason, I am frequently looking for ones that I don't find ugly...

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
yet I'm afraid that pronounced pie crust is a big no-no for me. Sorry.

I hope they feel as comfortable as they look though. :thumbup1:

Pie crust… :lol:

And they are very comfortable. :yesnod:

a bit of voyage of self-discovery as to what I might feel comfortable wearing now

Funny how footwear and self-discovery sometimes have a way of crossing paths.

The rain-catcher top being just one example.

If I play my cards right, these shoes will never see a drop of water. :biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
fini

2DBDBBE3-E34A-4DD7-B55E-8545ABBE699D.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Just saw this new offering from Astorflex called the Rampiflex and I started twitching like Inspector Dreyfus from “The Pink Panther”.
535BE1DF-C560-4314-B327-517B34603450.jpeg

1630066409052.gif

Oh man. I dunno. Wallabee, chukka, suede, crepe…
AC935F96-077C-49FD-AAB5-9B637E7310B2.jpeg

🤪😀

With the cooler weather not far off you’re going need some more substantial shoes. By the time it does get cold, all the popular sizes/colors will be sold out. Best to be ahead of the rush.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
With the cooler weather not far off you’re going need some more substantial shoes. By the time it does get cold, all the popular sizes/colors will be sold out. Best to be ahead of the rush.

So much Fall stuff coming out now that i have to avert my eyes. 👀

I think I need to dig out a pair barely worn Clarks's black leather with gum sole Wallabees from the early 80's and wear them with jeans these days ! ...LoL

They look like a cross between the Luther and the Wallabee. You could always get a pair of these and sell off both the Luthers and Wallabees - reduce your shoe footprint as it were. Reduce the stress of deciding which one to pick in the morning - pick both.

I noticed that Crown is stating 45 working days as baseline lead time now. These sneakers are getting to be like Wolfman razors. I’m thinking that I should of auctioned my size 9 Harelstones instead of returning them.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
They look like a cross between the Luther and the Wallabee. You could always get a pair of these and sell off both the Luthers and Wallabees - reduce your shoe footprint as it were. Reduce the stress of deciding which one to pick in the morning - pick both.

I noticed that Crown is stating 45 working days as baseline lead time now. These sneakers are getting to be like Wolfman razors. I’m thinking that I should of auctioned my size 9 Harelstones instead of returning them.

I have been attempting to reduce my shoe collection by donating some as well as availing myself to some of these selling platforms on the internet which is much easier than I imagined.

SimilarIy, as with shaving, it’s nice when your hobby can, at least in part, finance itself.

Your sneaker sojourn is really taking on a life of its own. 🤪

as with shaving, it’s nice when your hobby can, at least in part, finance itself.

I agree in principle. However, the "at least in part" is a very elastic term in my case. I sell an Omega boar and replace it with a Varlet or DG, sell a Schick Krona and buy a Timeless. As for shoes, the less said the better.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This shoe is an interesting offering from Velasca. The “Badalüch” mirrors the Barbee shoe but rather than a crepe sole, it has a Vibram lug sole.
E2E47645-D7AE-4A55-9FA2-42EC8A5D9015.jpeg
00A66563-14A5-4788-97E0-7E833F264255.jpeg

This shoe closely mirrors that of the “Michael” shoe offered by Paraboot.

E4E3130C-45E8-4267-BC42-3A7B9659C9EF.jpeg
6F7A2E9C-BA4A-4A6A-9C00-B3858579AB63.jpeg

Very similar shoes but the shoe from Velasca doesn’t have the two tags that come with the Michael:

1) The “Paraboot” tag by the ankle.

And;

2) The hefty price tag.

(The Velasca shoe comes in at almost half the price of the Paraboot but the Michael has a Goodyear welt while the Badalüch is Blake-stitched).

Might be a shoe I would consider when the Fall approaches. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
i definitely prefer the look of the paraboit. Heavy duty but not heavy looking. The Velasca looks a bit too heavy based on the pics. It may also be the color. The pebble grain somehow suits “the look” to my eye.

Top Bottom