What's new

Wallabees....

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This is what it’s all about.

You buy the Gillette Red-Tip off of eBay and when you get it, the paint isn’t as nice it looked in the picture. It makes you unhappy although it’s intended use is not diminished in anyway.

One person likes Simpson brushes with the label on it, others carefully peel it off.

These things have nothing to do with whether the razor provides you with a good shave or whether the brush makes a nice lather but rather it is the details of these items from which we derive some pleasure about things we are passionate about.

I don’t think it’s any great secret around these parts that I have a passion for footwear whether it be retro sneakers, shell Cordovan or bulling a pair of captoe shoes.

The Barbee is a very nice shoe. I liked it the first time I stumbled upon it and ordered it when it was re-stocked. And it is the reason I exchanged them rather than returned them.

The shoe conjures up an image in mind of a kind of nice and easy feeling. (think Dylan in Greenwich Village circa. 1962). Yes, it has a utilitarian function as well, they’re a pair of shoes. 🙄😀

But if everytime I looked down at these shoes and saw this:
View attachment 1227882
It would detract from my enjoyment of the shoe, and that nice and easy feeling would dissipate. So why wear it if you don’t enjoy it?

So... as my friend in Italy @Marco quite accurately stated:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As my “There & Square” friend @Doc4 astutely points out, we have to sometimes temper our penchant for certain details with reasonableness.

As Mrs. Gold can attest to, I am far from normal and at times, so I’ve heard, I can be unreasonable at times (but she’s still adorable.) 😉😀

In my dealings with Velasca customer service, I apologized if they thought I was being overly critical by this, IMO, lack of attention to detail.

The customer rep’s response was as follows:

And that’s why I will continue to deal with Velasca in the future. They get it and do you know why they get it?

Because they love shoes as much (probably more) than I do.

I’m looking forward to the “second-coming” of the Barbee. :thumbup1:

Robert, not only I agree on everything you said above, but I also fully share and do understand your feelings. I am a perfectionist myself and, when there is something that I particularly love, I want it to be or be done in the most precise way possible. In order words, it MUST fulfill all my criteria and make be totally satisfied when I look at it.

It’s good to hear that Velasca is a top shelf company. Since they need to be returned for sizing anyway, it’s worth pointing out the flaw so that they can select a pair that is closer to spot on. The first pair look as if they would be on the cusp of being seconds but a lot of people would never notice since it is a rather minor issue. Once they have been worn a bit and developed some creases it would probably be a lot less noticeable.

Being both a perfectionist and extremely impatient, issues like this drive me nuts. Do you go for the extra 1% but have to wait or do you take what you have and avoid the delay? The fact that I have enough shoes to keep me going for a few weeks doesn’t make the wait any easier. Again the sizing issue comes to the rescue!

I look forward to seeing the reinvigorated Barbee.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Do you go for the extra 1% but have to wait or do you take what you have and avoid the delay?

The fact that I received tracking info that the shoes I sent to Alden to be restored are arriving today, made that decision much easier. 🙄 :lol:

And I agree that the sizing issue made pointing out the differences in the stitching worthwhile. 👍

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@johnniegold Robert, have you already shipped the shoes back to Italy? And, did you ask them to carefully inspect your new ones?

@Marco

I’m returning them myself so... Arrivederci! :biggrin:

I did send them back yesterday and no, I did not ask for any ”special” inspection. I mean, after all, I’m not insane. :lol:

Whatever happens... C’est la vie.

Anyway, I’m already onto desert boots/playboy chukkas. 🙄😉

So you know what that means for everyone here?

DC9F56A3-2E13-4816-B2CE-D7501E3E2590.jpeg

:biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Although I had asked for an exchange, it appears that Velasca has instead issued a refund.

When I requested the exchange, the shoe was in stock and now it appears it is not in stock any longer (which Velasca confirmed in an email upon my inquiry).

Too bad. I’m sure they are saying (in Italian):

“We’ve had enough of this nut job”. :lol:

Oh well. The Barbee is not to be.

It’s on to the next pair of shoes! 😎

Last edited:
Those penny loafers look like cigar shell - Ken is clearly a man with good taste!

I've never thought of shoes as a choking hazard but I as often as I put my foot in mouth it makes a lot of sense.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Velasca Barbee won’t be restocked for awhile but I found this interesting offering from Geox.

This wallabee-styled is shoe called “The Errico.” The upper looks nice but I’m not quite sold on the non-crepe outsole.
4C3EAB9D-A7FA-4D3C-9587-22200C719A49.jpeg

Geox used to have some kind active ventilation in the sole. A sort of pump. I have a pair of Mephistos with something similar. The Geox look pretty “utility” to me. Nothing wrong with them but nothing that makes them seem like a must buy either.

Like a lot of these hobbies, I’m reaching saturation point. Something really has to be outstanding (not necessarily wildly expensive) or I know it won’t get used more than a couple of times if at all.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I was saying the same thing to the missus the other night. I used to buy many of the same styled shoes (same shoe, different color) but they were very utilitarian. In essence, they were work shoes.

Now, I want different kinds of shoes. I guess you could say more casual, if not eclectic. Instead of a balmoral, how about Chelsea boots? Instead of wingtips, how about a chukka? Instead of shell cordovan, how about some suede? Instead of leather soles, how about some crepe?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Aside from their “desert boot”, Astorflex also makes The Beenflex which would fall into this “wallabee” category.

Although this shoe is growing on me, I think I still prefer the “dressier” casualness of Velasca’s Barbee model.

But the Beenflex does look like a nice, comfortable weekend knock-around shoe.

6986640B-CA99-4D5F-99A7-BE6C2197146F.jpeg

3FC4A7F2-24D9-4E77-BD7D-16C21FA0F21B.jpeg

92B64DBF-A3C7-47CF-810E-5160C4A2C08A.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Aside from their “desert boot”, Astorflex also makes The Beenflex which would fall into this “wallabee” category.

Although this shoe is growing on me, I think I still prefer the “dressier” casualness of Velasca’s Barbee model.

But the Beenflex does look like a nice, comfortable weekend knock-around shoe.

View attachment 1243842

View attachment 1243840

View attachment 1243843
Agreed! I would wear those just about ANY day of the week (in non-muddy weather.)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
0FCA56CE-3D1A-4950-B2B4-65F37E7A184F.png

(did you think I forgot about this?) :biggrin:

Yesterday, I received an email from Velasca stating that (after almost 6-months) the Barbee was back in stock. You may recall that I returned the first pair to exchange them for a larger size (EU 43 to EU 43.5) but that size was no longer in stock…. until now.

Although that initial transaction ended almost 6-months ago with Velasca providing a full refund, Velasca still honored the 20% discount that I had utilized back in February of 2021 for this purchase which I appreciate.

Once again, Velasca’s customer service is excellent.

So the order is placed. When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em. :thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Barbee by Velasca arrived from Italy yesterday and I must say that I could not be more pleased in every way. The color of the suede, the comfort of the shoe and the overall look of this iconic style of shoe checks all the boxes for me. (On the Velasca website, the Barbee is listed under the category of “The Icons”. :yesnod: )

The silhouette of this shoe provides just what I was looking for which was something a bit more refined than the original Wallabee.

The way the toe box squares off on the Wallabee is just not pleasing to my eye as well as the way the Wallabee upper spills over the crepe sole. The Para rubber sole on the Barbee extends beyond the upper to give it a bit more of a substantial look.

Here it is…

C9FC62C2-44B6-4CD8-91FE-0EA69F0FC9EC.jpeg

19619F41-860C-44EB-A829-BF6F955F8616.jpeg
321AAB1D-E895-4D8D-B6EF-E409B73F3CC9.jpeg
3BAA0098-0827-4F06-AFF6-FF1CEA4A04FC.jpeg
0F3CB0AE-8331-4289-BB77-11FA4687E3FC.jpeg
A25F25EE-6FBD-42E5-9C4F-4AB780DFE6C9.jpeg
22CED710-39FD-4F61-9A1F-9E6519A4B041.jpeg

As for the stitching on the vamp, which is what gives this type of shoe it’s distinctive look, it is what I hoped it would be. And although it might be a minor difference from the first pair I ordered, it is this attention to the most important detail of this shoe that makes all the difference in the world for me.

The stitching on each shoe on the second pair displays more symmetry and proportion then the stitching did on the first pair which, IMO, gave the shoe a somewhat disproportionate look on the vamp.

First pair that was returned:
9504B30C-87FB-4F9C-8B18-A8776CDD043B.jpeg

The new pair that arrived yesterday:
1F610526-01A8-49D7-8BB0-CC676431AAE2.jpeg

(Now that’s what I’m talking about! 👍)

And that is what provides me with the enjoyment that I derive from a new pair of shoes which is rooted in quality craftsmanship, style, comfort and outstanding customer service.

Well done, Velasca. :thumbup1:

C1C5A9C8-2E52-436D-B5F3-9FF5FC8FCB47.jpeg

So there you have it. The search for a Wallabee-typed shoe is done.

Although the Thuya by Heschung and the Michael by Paraboot do look interesting as well. 🤪

Seriously, the hunt begins for a nice Chelsea boot for the Fall. :yesnod:

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
They do, indeed, look more refined than the Wallabee, but my reflexively TNSIL sensibility misses the squared off tie, even though it is endearingly klunky. It is the same sensibility that does not appreciate penny loafers, tassel loafers, or Norwegian split toes that are not Aldens. Even if they are lovely, they just don't look "right." It is a sickness that has lingered since prep school when you could be ostracized for wearing shoes that were not Weejuns, even if they were nice and even if they cost more.

Top Bottom