What's new

Wade & Butcher Relaunch

So what is the current projected price per razor? I still didn't see one, but I wasn't going to try scrolling through all the FB comments and such searching. lol

That's true Ronnie, but none of the razor makers mentioned tried to boost themselves by using lent clothing in the form of a iconic razor brand. I wouldn't mind trying one myself if they believed so much in themselves that they stood by their product with their own brand name. Then again that's only my very subjective opinion.

This is very true Arne! but they could come up with a new style and leave the old as is in the past, who knows what they will do until it happens.

So what is the current projected price per razor? I still didn't see one, but I wasn't going to try scrolling through all the FB comments and such searching. lol

I have not seen anything yet.. But they will have to keep it in line I would think or nobody will buy that's just my view.

I would love for something like this to be able to succeed, but I wonder if there's a big enough market out there to sustain a business that just makes straight razors.

I found the estimated price mentioned on another forum. On Facebook (I am not on FB) July 11,2017 W&B posted it would be $1500 to $1800.

That's a heavy price. And not tried and true. Easy enough to find one and get it restored as was said. And that one will be the real thing. $1500 to $1800 is NUTS. JMO..

For $1500usd I would want a time capsule mint 10/8 anchor stamped antique Butcher or something.... There are so many servicable Butchers out in the wild and on the net that anyone could buy that have all the badge/character/authenticity/quality/ perfomance you could ever want.. At a much lower price point... If you are dying for a newly made chopper, buy a Riga and pay some bills or buy some crypto with the fortune you save..

Yep, 1500 bucks for a production razor will never fly. The negative feedback about pricing may be what has delayed their launch. Who knows?

No way that will never work 1500 over here you could buy a restored chopper far less, in great condition the deal breaker for me would be it was made from Sheffield steel.

No at that price I will pass on it and not bother....

There are only a couple of makers I know who can take that much of my money from me, and even then I may pass (it's just another edge, once the aftershave is splashed).

Just to be clear i'm pretty sure they specified that the 1500 mark, or whatever the price, would be for the first run of the special "irontusk" models. I do not believe their intention is to keep the price point that high.
Also, just my $.02, I think the brand should be looked at like a new company rather than a "reboot" of the old. Nothing about the steel is the same, it's being made outside of the UK, and the proprietor has no ties that I am aware of to W&B. I don't see it as stealing the welfare of an old brand but a commitment to continue such quality and honor the quality of old.
It's really safe and easy to speculate and say the price point is too high (which it will be for most) or that the quality won't be the exact same (which of course it won't be). But I for one am excited as a wet shaving hobbyist to have another option soon! As consumers, isn't that really all we want?

I'm afraid that I'm sceptical. The craftsmen that once made W&B are long gone and there are many new artisans/manufacturers that make modern versions of them. I can't see that just reusing a well known brand name would make people buy the razors, not to say that using the old brand name guarantee any form of quality. How many members of this forum praise the razors that today are made under the venerable brand names of Puma or Giesen&Forsthoff? I'd put my money in a Jerry Stark, Rigarazor, Michael Waterhouse, Koraat, Brian Brown or (latest) Gold Dollar instead. Not to mention a vintage W&B.

You see I do my best to be grumpy.:001_tt2:
View attachment 852786
[slight threadjack]Is that a Jerry Stark?[/slight threadjack]

To be clear, I did state it was from FB and I am not on FB. It was posted by a trusted member who is also a member here.

I do not know if the price will go down after the initial release, or if the high price is for a "special" Irontusk razor.

Fair enough. I don't know for certain that the price would go down either, that's just the indication made on a different site. I hope it does.

Top Bottom