What's new

Wade & Butcher Relaunch

Yes this has come from Wade & Butcher facebook page

Hi Folks. Firstly, I'd just like to express my sincerest best wishes for the new year and I hope that you all have had a fantastic Holiday thus far
proxy.php
:)

I'll cut right to it with this update and say that unfortunately 2017 is not to be the year we formally relaunch with our first new razor model - The Irontusk Razor - despite our very best intentions and efforts to do so. But, as we have said from the start, we are only concerned with bringing about this revival of Wade&Butcher if it is to be done properly and with the greatest of care. So, the official status is that we simply are not ready yet on all fronts to launch, merely to appease some expectation. I am more than confident that all of you watching this unfold would rather see the product and the launch be presented as perfectly as possible as opposed to us jumping the gun and ultimately offering something that isn't exceptional or done to the highest of standards possible.

So, with that said, please know that we are indeed still hard at work with many aspects of this launch still in development - among them is packaging, which we have decided to go in a more 'traditional' route by presenting the Irontusk razor in a specially designed and constructed razor coffin. The boxes are still in production, but they will be slip-lid coffin boxes handcrafted from wood with fine covering papers. This one change will also allow us to offer up the initial razor at a much reduced price.

We are also still working on our new website, with great attention being placed on our 'Heritage Page'. We also have Zak Jarvis on board assisting with a thorough and wonderfully written history, including an interactive time-line and some great insights into our brands extensive history.

TLDR: There is still too much on the go behind the scenes here, so we're aiming to launch the new site and present the Irontusk razor for pre-order as early as possible in the new year.

Thanks once again to you all for your great support, our newsletter subscription numbers are unbelievable and the support and interest in 2017 has been more than we could have anticipated - and so we are very, very thankful for that indeed. Please bear with us a bit longer and don't lose faith, your patience will be greatly rewarded..

Sincerely,
- Mike

You can sign up here Wade & Butcher - Luxury Handcrafted Straight Razors

I'm afraid that I'm sceptical. The craftsmen that once made W&B are long gone and there are many new artisans/manufacturers that make modern versions of them. I can't see that just reusing a well known brand name would make people buy the razors, not to say that using the old brand name guarantee any form of quality. How many members of this forum praise the razors that today are made under the venerable brand names of Puma or Giesen&Forsthoff? I'd put my money in a Jerry Stark, Rigarazor, Michael Waterhouse, Koraat, Brian Brown or (latest) Gold Dollar instead. Not to mention a vintage W&B.

You see I do my best to be grumpy.:001_tt2:
rigarazor.jpg

No that's a very valid point Arne, I have been digging more and they wont be using Sheffield steel so how can it be the same.

My biggest issue is the cost! That and if you are going to relaunch the W&B name, it should be made of Sheffield steel.

Lets don't slam the door before they get here. The marketplace will decide the quality. All the artisan makers mentioned by Arne were once on the skeptical border of "what are these guys up to?". Let's give them a chance to prove themselves. Maybe not the same, but maybe better.....btw, "Sheffield steel" as it was produced in the 1800s is non-existent anymore. Modern steel production in the UK is dying.

Last edited:
Lets don't slam the door before they get here. The marketplace will decide the quality. All the artisan makers mentioned by Arne were once on the skeptical border of "what are these guys up to?". Let's give them a chance to prove themselves. Maybe not the same, but maybe better.....
That's true Ronnie, but none of the razor makers mentioned tried to boost themselves by using lent clothing in the form of a iconic razor brand. I wouldn't mind trying one myself if they believed so much in themselves that they stood by their product with their own brand name. Then again that's only my very subjective opinion.

....., but none of the razor makers mentioned tried to boost themselves by using lent clothing in the form of a iconic razor brand.....

I am willing to bet if some of them could have legitimately acquired the "Wostenholm", "Dubl Duck" or "Joseph Rodgers" brand name, they would have. No matter the quality, marketing is very important. Nostalgia and brand name sells well in the razor world.

It would be great to see a vintage brand make a reboot. My only issue besides decent quality is and will remain price. I get that there are a lot of groups trying to go the specialized artisan route, but I’d rather see a vintage-like market revitalization where the goal is a razor or five in the hands of the average working person. I feel that Dovo and GD are on the right-ish track, searching for the right midpoint between quality, availability, artisan-ship, and price.

They will be crafted from DAMASTEEL® DS93X™ and DAMASTEEL® RWL34™. Damasteel hails from the steel manufacturing region of Söderfors in Sweden. Dating back to 1676,
but it would have been better using Sheffield steel but as Ronnie said in his post above Modern steel production in the UK is dying because tata has bought all the steel works killing it of here and making it in India.

So we know the steel will be good if it all works out it could make a come back

Last edited:
I will be surprised when it comes out and as stated there are some very fine modern Artisans that produce very fine custom razors like Urlik at Koraat, Brian at BBRW’s and Sergei at Riga Razor

I don't mind to much. I am just thinking of it as another option to choose from whenever I decide to buy another straight razor. I wish them the best of luck, not easy running a business

I'm afraid that I'm sceptical. The craftsmen that once made W&B are long gone and there are many new artisans/manufacturers that make modern versions of them. I can't see that just reusing a well known brand name would make people buy the razors, not to say that using the old brand name guarantee any form of quality. How many members of this forum praise the razors that today are made under the venerable brand names of Puma or Giesen&Forsthoff? I'd put my money in a Jerry Stark, Rigarazor, Michael Waterhouse, Koraat, Brian Brown or (latest) Gold Dollar instead. Not to mention a vintage W&B.

You see I do my best to be grumpy.:001_tt2:
View attachment 852786
:001_tt1: What a beauty !!!!

Unfortunately the estimated price puts it out of my price range.

Who am I kidding!!! Even if I had the money, I would rather buy a vintage W&B and have it restored by Alfredo :a14:

Last edited:
[emoji115]I'm in this camp mentioned above (vintage, Doc226) though I am curious to witness the official launch. Being the incessant pessimist that I am, I feel the odds are against your rebrand gaining significant traction. I hope I'm wrong to be honest, though it would appear on the surface this large undertaking has been rocky at best. In fact until this post I forgot all about you guys. Your original post, what was it, a year ago, maybe more, got people talking. I signed up for your newsletter and haven't heard anything from you since, maybe one update though I could be wrong. Not a big deal though you are entering a saturated market of low to very high end razors. That being said, your projected price range and highly regarded brand name leaves you very little room for error.

[emoji115]I'm in this camp mentioned above (vintage, Doc226) though I am curious to witness the official launch. Being the incessant pessimist that I am, I feel the odds are against your rebrand gaining significant traction. I hope I'm wrong to be honest, though it would appear on the surface this large undertaking has been rocky at best. In fact until this post I forgot all about you guys. Your original post, what was it, a year ago, maybe more, got people talking. I signed up for your newsletter and haven't heard anything from you since, maybe one update though I could be wrong. Not a big deal though you are entering a saturated market of low to very high end razors. That being said, your projected price range and highly regarded brand name leaves you very little room for error.

Just to be clear, the OP was merely a repost from the official W&B Facebook page, not directly posted here by any member of the new W&B company. :)

I think @Ice-Man just reposted something from the W&B FB, I don’t think he is involved with the company.

Oh…got it. I need to put down the Modelo. My apologies, I will politely curtsy and say…never mind. Sorry for the momentary derail and please do continue…buurp!

Oh…got it. I need to put down the Modelo. My apologies, I will politely curtsy and say…never mind. Sorry for the momentary derail and please do continue…buurp!
No worries, your observations are still completely valid, just directed at a source that can't really answer any of them. :)

No I understand I have nothing to do with Wade & Butcher, TBH I had forgot about it until somebody posted on there page and it flagged up on my page. All I did was copy it onto here just in case a lot of guys missed it, plus it gives us something to talk about.
And to be honest I hope it does work for them but they have got some mighty big boots to fill,

Top Bottom