What's new

GIVEAWAY! Volunteers sign up here!

Ready to post my thoughts.

I tried this sample with my new Henson w/Astra blade, a pre shave, and mint/eucalyptus shave soap.

I used a liberal amount after my shave.

In General: I like eucalyptus and the mint. I would prefer a slightly kick up on the eucalyptus and little less mint.

Scent strength: I like an aftershave to stay around an hour or two. This has a nice fresh and natural feeling. Refreshing.

Dry down feel: This left my skin feeling toned and not dried out. A good neutral feeling.

Would I buy: With a low dose of menthol added I and a notch down on the mint I would buy this. Refreshing.

Thank you for the opportunity Captn'

I received my sample yesterday. Used it today for the head shave.

~ In general, what do you think - like it, dislike it?
I like it. This is my first experience with a mentholated aftershave so I don’t have much to compare it to but it’s very refreshing. Now I’m tempted to add some menthol crystals to my Clubman.

~ How is the scent strength - about right, too strong, too weak?
About right. Not too strong, one could use a cologne after without clashing scents.

~ How is the face feel after dry down?
Feels good. Tight but not as tight or drying as clubman (I like clubman but I usually use a balm afterwards).

~ Would you buy a bottle of it when it is available?
I’d have to decide after finishing the (very generous) sample. I’m leaning towards “yes”, this stuff would feel great on a hot day.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in the second round of testing Captain!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I almost missed out

I hope that I haven't missed out too! I really want to try this mint and see what its all about, and report back my findings to help the Captain avoid a potential ice berg. 😝 But if the product is really good, I will let him know he has a winner winner for his chicken dinner. :thumbup1:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood, I enjoyed the testing sample like I knew I would. 😁

@Captain Pre-Capsize

~ (In general, what do you think - like it, dislike it?)

I love it!

~ (If you had to pick one, which of the two versions would you prefer?)

I was only sent one sample - Eucalyptus/Mint

~ (How is the scent strength - about right, too strong, too weak?)

I think the scent strength could be slightly stronger, but its great though!

~ (How is the face feel after dry down?)

The dry down only took about 1-minute, face feels super smooth!

~ (Would you buy a bottle of it when it is available?)

Absolutely!

I would like to add some additional thoughts if you don't mind? I was truly fascinated by this aftershave! When I first applied it, it didn't burn like my Italia aftershave does, I just felt a slight sting from it, nothing bad. I was smelling a heavy dose of Eucalyptus from the aftershave, I didn't smell any mint, and that stayed that way for several minutes. Then suddenly, the Eucalyptus scent vanished, and I began smelling mint. And wow was it a pleasant scent!

I kept on smelling the scent of mint for at least an hour later, and then I couldn't smell it anymore. If I had the choice of what I would like to smell more of in the aftershave, and at a slightly stronger level, is the mint, I was surprisingly pleased by this. It was the very first time in my entire life, I got to try out an aftershave with mint in it, and loved it. The Eucalyptus was nice, but the mint half was better.

Conclusion: This marks the first time I got to be a volunteer tester for Captains Choice, and I couldn't be happier. The experience was fun, helping out the Captain Scott is an honor, and I hope that I am helping to make a difference in some way by doing it. I would love to buy a peppermint aftershave from the Captain one day. :)

~ In general, what do you think - like it, dislike it?

I’m not really a big fan of the scent profile. I smell lots of mint with undertones of eucalyptus.

~ If you had to pick one, which of the two versions would you prefer?

I was sent from me sample: cc5919

~ How is the scent strength - about right, too strong, too weak?

Comes on strong then fades nicely to allow a choice of cologne

~ How is the face feel after dry down?

Feels nice and smooth, not overly dry or tight

~ Would you buy a bottle of it when it is available?

Unfortunately, I probably wouldn’t due to the mint scent

I would like to thank CC for the opportunity to try it out though. I’m hunting for a new aftershave and you don’t know if you like one until you try it.

Finally ready to post my thoughts on the revised formulation. I'll keep it short and to the point. First application was stellar! Gone was the overtly medicinal scent and I was pleasantly suprised to smell the addition of spearmint. The overall performance was the same but the pleasantness of the reformulation was very obvious to me. Definitely on my list to buy once it comes out.

Bravo Captain!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Finally ready to post my thoughts on the revised formulation. I'll keep it short and to the point. First application was stellar! Gone was the overtly medicinal scent and I was pleasantly suprised to smell the addition of spearmint. The overall performance was the same but the pleasantness of the reformulation was very obvious to me. Definitely on my list to buy once it comes out.

Bravo Captain!

I am so glad that you love it as well! Many people don't seem to like the mint, but I love it, and want more of it! Its nice to know another person here who likes it just as much as I do. Right on! :thumbup1:

Tomorrow... Tomorrow
Tracking update - Now in Los Angeles :302:

It may have farther to go yet - this is a map of the projected path for your free sample. I would look for it by year end.

Screen+Shot+2022-05-01+at+10.40.03+PM.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

It may have farther to go yet - this is a map of the projected path for your free sample. I would look for it by year end.

View attachment 1451479

Can I just say, I truly love the humor from our Captain? With such a lengthy voyage on this ship, to find the lost island that is full of Captains Choice soap, its always good to have a little humor, to brighten our day. Thanks Scott for being the awesome person that you are. :)

@Captain Pre-Capsize
screen-shot-2022-05-01-at-10-40-03-pm-png.1451479

Well Scott, considering it originated in Oz and USPS is using Donkey Express :biggrin:
I'm just anxious to spend a weekend with the sample and its box-mates

How's this for a USPS experience:
Ordered local on-line - started in San Diego and bypassed me into Los Angeles
Next Stop into San Francisco where it paused for a couple days before ultimately processed back in San Diego.
Ultimately 4 business days for something I could have driven to in under 30mins.

@Captain Pre-Capsize

In general, what do you think - like it, dislike it?

Its okay. It sort of smelled like mouth wash TBH.
But I liked it.

How is the scent strength - about right, too strong, too weak?

The strength was fine.

How is the face feel after dry down?

Dry down was fine.. My face feels fine also...

Would you buy a bottle of it when it is available?

Probably...

Thank you for allowing me to participate in this... I appreciate it a lot...

Last edited:
Will be giving this a go over the next three days.
Should play well into my SOTM selection.

Straight off the vial -
I'm liking the first take. It's smells like a punchier version of the previous mentholated sample.

2379F562-E6EB-42A9-855B-08603DCE4F7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Today's shave delivered a bit of unexpected irritation on the neck. Chalking this up to a one-off situation perpetuated by both a noon-time dog walk with the shave immediately following.

Immediate feedback off the Kiehl's Blue Astringent.

On to The Captain's Sample (I will post an overall summary Thursday/Friday):

As described yesterday, very reminiscent of the previous samples; but I could pick up @jaro 101969 's comment about the mouthwash. Still, this delivered all the qualities I like in the Captain's Splashes. Good feedback, right amount of firming, and a wonderful post-shave feel on dry-down. Which is where I picked up the subtlety of mint as the eucalyptus (and menthol?) depart. I still wish for this to have a bit of lingering aroma; but all in all very nice.

Off the vial I think the smell strength is where it should be, it does happen to dissipate rather quickly. Not sure how you marry longer aromatics without increasing its potency; I would definitely buy this.

If this makes sense, this is what I expected the Proraso Green to deliver. I have an almost full bottle that would quickly be replaced by 4oz of this sample.

img_7114-jpg.1453620

Top Bottom