What's new

Potential new product - tell me what you think!

We have been considering this item and now have a prototype to collect feedback on. The third picture shows the raised portion that retains the razor so it can't slip out of the slot accidentally. This is one piece of plastic that has been 3-D printed. Our name is embossed as you see here. The last two pictures show an aspect we are considering, namely two insets for tucks of blades to reside. Yes? No? Maybe?

What about an area to hold a brush upside down - big deal or not a big deal? I am gun shy of it only because there are so many styles of brush handles it seems inevitable that a customer's brush won't fit. Proposed price is $29.95. (And no, razors not included...). :biggrin1:

You won't hurt any feelings here, be candid with us - that helps us the most. Thanks for your help!

~ The Captain
IMG_0121.jpeg

IMG_0122.jpeg

IMG_0123.jpeg

IMG_0124.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

Last edited:
Just an opinion, you get what you pay for, soooo... I don't like 3D printed items like that. Fine if they are prototypes or DIY, but I wouldn't buy them from a vendor. Just sharing to a respected vendor so you get multiple perspectives.

Good luck with all your endeavors, Captain!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
This is my completely amateur opinion from a very limited experience with 3D printed items. I think they are perfect for one off items for your personal use. But on a commercial scale I don’t think they are there yet. IMO they look cheap. The finishing touches just aren’t there. Holes in random places and textures that look off. And it may just be the lighting, I’m not sure. But I’ve circled what I’m talking about. It just doesn't look….finished or ready for sale.

Just personally, I’d rather pay a little extra for molded plastic or some sort of metal that doesn’t have the blemishes that 3D printed items have.

IMG_0772.jpeg

Even these little remnants of plastic 3D make it not worth it to me. I wouldn't put this on my bathroom counter.

IMG_0773.jpeg

Maybe you can sand it and finish it with a spray lacquer of sorts? But just fresh off the printer I would pass. You are on the right track though.

Maybe instead of just 2 slots for blades you have a cut out space that could hold blades and styptic pencil? Just carve out that whole bottom half so it’s a rectangle cut out. I can throw my blades and styptic pencil there. Or my wedding ring if folks take it off for showers? Or earrings, or idk whatever else. Just a secure spot on your bathroom counter.

TBH, I don't think this fits with the rest of your lineup. The rest of your shaving goods are hand made. There's a bit of a personal/human touch there that is missing from a 3-D printed product. This would seem to be a step away from that.

There are plenty of vendors who sell machine (read: mass) produced shave goods and probably for less than you could afford to sell your razor rack that would undercut you.

If you were to make razor holders by hand, that'd be a different story. That'd really be in keeping with the Captain's Choice brand, IMHO.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I say no. What would one of your copper bowls look like next to this?

Also, there are a dozen sellers on Etsy who make the same thing, some expandable, for a lower price.

As previously stated, if you developed a finishing process to make it look like it wasn’t 3D printed, maybe. Dip coating? Resin/epoxy coating? Bead/walnut shell blasting?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm going to have to agree with other's Scott, 3D printed is good for prototype items, but not for commercial sale, from an artisan company such as yourself. Someone brought up Etsy, well there is also a seller on Etsy who makes wooden razor and brush stands, I have one of them myself. I strongly recommend that you make something like this...

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Now, what you could do different, to bring something new to the table, that the Etsy seller does not, is to have spots to put your blades, styptic pencil, whatever else, perhaps in spots carved out of the bottom base. This particular stand is made out of a cherry hard wood and varnished, which helps to produce a nice reddish color. The natural wood tones, really bring out the feeling of quality and luxury.

This is the type of artisan quality we would expect and appreciate from you. The Etsy seller sells their's if I remember right, somewhere in the ballpark of 60 buckaroo's. So I would suggest maybe you could do something similar? A 5-razor and 5-brush stand made out of varnished wood, hand made with care and love, I have no doubt you would sell a bunch of these.

PS: Those are old pictures, I've since got a 5th brush in there, and changed out the spot that the Merkur Futur is in, and replaced it with the Blackland Osprey SS. Also, where you see the Yaqi Mellon Head razor, I've replaced that with the PAA Copper Ascension. I think you can see a pattern here, I appreciate luxury and hand made goods.

This is my completely amateur opinion from a very limited experience with 3D printed items. I think they are perfect for one off items for your personal use. But on a commercial scale I don’t think they are there yet. IMO they look cheap. The finishing touches just aren’t there. Holes in random places and textures that look off. And it may just be the lighting, I’m not sure. But I’ve circled what I’m talking about. It just doesn't look….finished or ready for sale.

Just personally, I’d rather pay a little extra for molded plastic or some sort of metal that doesn’t have the blemishes that 3D printed items have.

View attachment 1826185

Even these little remnants of plastic 3D make it not worth it to me. I wouldn't put this on my bathroom counter.

View attachment 1826187

Maybe you can sand it and finish it with a spray lacquer of sorts? But just fresh off the printer I would pass. You are on the right track though.

Maybe instead of just 2 slots for blades you have a cut out space that could hold blades and styptic pencil? Just carve out that whole bottom half so it’s a rectangle cut out. I can throw my blades and styptic pencil there. Or my wedding ring if folks take it off for showers? Or earrings, or idk whatever else. Just a secure spot on your bathroom counter.
I concur with this opinion. I've looked for razor holders and have seen some 3D printed items on Etsy that just look cheap and I've avoided them. This particular version is an improvement on the other models I've seen but I'm just not convinced a 3D product matches up with my aesthetics and I don't consider myself a snob. I believe in function over form but the product still has to look nicely finished and somewhat classy.
I love the design, particularly the tuck holder notches and, yeah, maybe even a brush holder on one or both of the ends. But if other materials or method of manufacturing were used, I'd be more tempted to buy it, albeit it I'm sure at a higher price ...

Well, I'm going to agree with everyone's opinions here, but I do believe that some 3d printed shaving accessories can hold a spot on our counters next to that fancy ceramic lather bowl and such. If a design's geometry is basic enough to be made out of wood, then, yes, why not use some exotic wood with a fine finish instead of 3d printed plastic with visible layer lines? But if the design has an organic shape and is very functional but very difficult to produce even by a 5-axis CNC, then a 3d printed version is probably the best option. I have several 3d printed shaving-related designs that were submitted for CNC cutting quotes and the prices were through the roof, and one design was not possible due to the manifold inclusions that only a 3d printer can create, so, those 3d printed accessories are on my counter serving their purpose. There is an art form in 3d printing that is rarely talked about, and that is, mastering the slicer setting for the best possible finish of the printed parts. If I had to rank the multi-razor stand design, I would say it's fairly basic and it's probably best suited for a wood construction. As far as the surface finish, there is a lot of room for improvement on the slicer settings. Nonetheless, it is a functional design.

There are already 3D printed stands that look exactly like the one you propose (albeit without your name/logo) on Etsy. One even also has the 2 blade/tuck holders just like your prototype. And it sells for $27 and change.

Top Bottom