What's new

GIVEAWAY! Volunteers sign up here!

Good news here. We have several volunteers in the first go 'round who have not replied to receive this revised version. If you are reading this and would like to receive a free sample in exchange for your candid appraisal just send me a PM with your address. We will keep this open until the few remaining are gone.

The captain turned this ship around! The mail lady just delivered my sample. I've got to go to work, but I'll give you the wife's initial response. I still have a little of the original and gave it to her to sniff. She said, "that's ok." I then gave her the new formula and she goes, "ooomm, that's nice. That's a good one."

I'll give more a more in-depth opinion when I have the time, but I think the addition of the spearmint is a winner and the decision to not add menthol to the be the right choice. It lost that tea tree/medicinal vibe.

Thank you ... I got the sample today but it was just a few minutes ago so I have Not used it.. I have opened it and the VERY First initial impression of the scent was Not that great to me, I'm not saying I don't like it because it is okay.. After a few minutes the smell did seem somewhat better but it smelled like ..... Don't open spoiler if you want your own first impression Vicks Vapor Rub.. I have not used it yet but will update when I do....

Great mail day. My revised sample arrived. I shaved using CC Land Ho. The amended AS formulation, particularly the addition of spearmint, puts this one in the "Yes, I want this aftershave" category.

I did not use any witch hazel after the shave; I applied the CC aftershave directly after rinsing. Any initial medicinal scent was light and dissipated very quickly, similar to other alcohol based AS. There was no stinging sensation. This AS was a great replacement for my witch hazel/aloe post-shave. Skin does not feel at all tacky on dry down. I have not felt the need for balm one hour after the shave.

I've now had the chance to use my revised sample twice. As with the first one I experienced some excess skin tightening after I used it that was eliminated with my usual face lotion. Also, as with the first one, the scent is strong right off the bat and fades quickly. Additionally, as with the first one, this scent is just not for me. The additional spearmint reminded me of chewing gum. So overall, this product is just not for me. Fortunately, @Captain Pre-Capsize makes many other products that I use and enjoy and I will happily continue to use and recommend them.

Finished my sample tonight (I shave both head and face). To me the spearmint is subtle. The scent is strong right on the skin, but settles down quickly. Felt the zing tonight; I must have shaved with a heavier hand. I enjoy the natural skin feel after dry-down. If you enjoy a eucalyptus scent, this is a winner. This is a much more pleasant scent than the first formulation, and the light eucalyptus scent hangs on for a while. If there were some sort of a cologne scent to join in the mix (I am wanting it to be more like La Toja or Proraso green AS) this would be about perfect for me.

After using this after the past couple of shaves, I'm liking this new version!! I've applied a generous amount following my shaves, and have felt the invigorating zing (lower case z as it's not painful, but is refreshing) that disappears with the dry down. For me, there's no noticeable skin tightening or dryness, and the scent strength is at a good level and last a while beyond the dry down (it's been a few hours, and I'm still picking up hints of the scent). The combination of eucalyptus and spearmint is new to me (having focused on the spices, citrus, and some floral), and is a pleasing scent to my nose.

~ In general, what do you think - like it, dislike it? I like it and it works well for me
~ How is the scent strength - about right, too strong, too weak? To me, it's just right
~ How is the face feel after dry down? The invigorating zing (due to using directly following my morning shave) disappears with the dry down, and my face doesn't have any lingering reaction, no tightness nor dryness, just a regular feel
~ Would you buy a bottle of it when it is available? Most likely, yes

Reference: CC #5919

Sample came in yesterday. I will test it tonight. So far my initial impressions is that it is more clean smelling. More to come....

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm in Scott, anything I can do to help my favorite Captain of this most awesome ship!

BTW: You know your sample of Italia Aftershave you sent me with my scuttle order? I actually love the scent! I kind of feel like I can smell some vanilla extract in that aftershave along with something else I can't quite pinpoint. It was a new scent for me that I've never smelled before and enjoyed it. I think I might have to start buying aftershaves to go along with soaps from you from now on. lol

After using the new blend a few times I'm ready to weight in. I like this new blend very much. The scent strength is right where it needs to be and the face feel afterwards is quite nice. After about an hour I can still detect a very slight powder along with the spearmint. The spearmint gives it a cooling and refreshing vibe. It smells clean and relaxing.

I don't have any eucalyptus aftershaves, but I do have two eucalyptus soaps. This scent is better than either one. I think my wife said it well when she stated that it was near the bottom of the top picks. It's not among the best, but it is also better than average. I would buy this.

Tabac is nasty and makes me think of perfume soaked old ladies. This aftershave reminds me one of my grandmothers. She loved her spearmint Extra gum. Nice memories of a good woman to be sure.

OK had a few shaves now to test drive the new sample.

In general I kind of like it even though I am not a big minty/spearmint kind of guy.

Truthfully I am a menthol kind of guy so I liked the previous version with the menthol and I don't think the spearmint can replace that for me. The scent here is good though and lingers better than the previous versions. The back scent of eucalyptus(or tea trees?) stands out better so that is a plus with this new one, caught a whiff of two for a few hours after use.

The face feel and dry down were excellent. Didn't have to go back to the shelf for any balm like I had to earlier.

Probably wont buy a bottle since I am not partial to the spearmint. But someone who is would probably like this scent.

I’ve been using this since late last week and here are my thoughts.

I haven’t used a scent with mint in it before and it’s different. Not bad, just different. I do like the scent of this one more than the first sample. It has a slight medicinal smell and I think it reminded me of a mint mouthwash off the bottle.

I used both small and larger amounts of splash during my testing. On one shave, with a heavy splash, I did feel the “zing” that was mentioned earlier. Regardless of how much I used it seemed to fade quickly or I was going nose blind. I say that because I could pick up a light mint scent later on. I typically use an aftershave without cologne so I like the scent to project for a longer amount of time. I think this would work well for someone that doesn’t want a lasting scent, or someone using a cologne. I found the post shave feel to be very nice as well.

~ In general, what do you think - like it, dislike it?
I liked it. Outside of my wheelhouse, but you don’t know what you may like until you try it.

~ How is the scent strength - about right, too strong, too weak?
For the way I use my splashes, it was a bit light.

~ How is the face feel after dry down?
The dry down is nice. Even with the “zing” I encountered, it dries down nicely leaving the skin smooth and supple.

~ Would you buy a bottle of it when it is available?
As I said earlier, I think the scent is outside of my wheelhouse. But it was interesting and I will leave it open with a … maybe.

I used a good amount this morning and also rubbed some on my wrists to check for longevity. I still like the eucalyptus scent.
I think mint was probably a good addition, although I wouldn't have chosen spearmint. I got a good eucalyptus smell and burn when applying, then a whiff of the alcohol and then the spearmint. My daughter told me I smelled like mint gum.
About 15 minutes later I could still smell a little spearmint and then I caught the tiniest hint of eucalyptus, which pleased me as I do wish the eucalyptus would linger more. By 30 minutes post shave I have to cup my hand over my nose to catch any scent, and it's spearmint.
In general: I like it. It's a good scent even if it the elements never exactly come together.
Face feel: Excellent. It tightens the skin a little, gives a satiny sheen and then leaves my skin dry and smooth. (I don't mean dry in a bad way; it's just not lotiony.)
Would I buy: I wouldn't mind having a little around, so maybe on sale. It's a good summer aftershave, both light in its formulation and its scent. Refreshing and disappearing. I could see that appealing to me at some point.

I tried the sample twice under the following conditions:
Black Beauty razor
1st time: Williams 2nd:Stering Mountain Man Soap
Persona X razor blades

In general, what do you think - like it, dislike it?
I didn't like it.
~ How is the scent strength - about right, too strong, too weak?
About Right
~ How is the face feel after dry down?
Great!
~ Would you buy a bottle of it when it is available?
No. I like eucalyptus, but the mint and eucalyptus combination didn't work for me...I got the impression of mouthwash...although there seemed to be another scent note that made it a little darker. There are other Captain's products that I would prefer.

Top Bottom