What's new

Vintage Watch

Hi all.

I'm considering purchasing a vintage Omega wrist watch (Seamaster automatic) from the 50s or 60s. I've never owned a vintage wrist watch before and I have a couple of questions for those of you who own and wear them.

1. If properly maintained, generally speaking, how long can you expect a watch from the 50s or 60s to run?

2. How often do you need to take the watch in for routine maintenance?

3. Is the maintenance costly? I'm just looking for ballpark figures.

4. I hear acrylic crystal easily scratches. Is it true that it's easy to repair the scratches using toothpaste?

Thanks for your comments!

I have my Dad's gold Omega Seamaster--circa 1959--which I often wear. I rescued it from a 30 year long nap in storage and had it reconditioned about ten years ago for a couple of hundred dollars. It's never required service in that time. The jeweler advised me against a restoration face painting (the watch not mine) saying that since the watch face patina had aged gracefully and evenly all over, it would hold its classic appeal and collectible value. A new paint job, no matter how good he said, always makes an older watch look unnatural. Acrylic was plentifully used in the fifties as much as it is now. Unless you have very special watch, acrylic is fine. Heck, they all scratch up.
Enjoy your Omega: It's one of a long line of handsome wristwatches from a fine maker. The indefatigable T.E. Lawrence wore won while wandering Arabia.
:mellow:

Hi all.

I'm considering purchasing a vintage Omega wrist watch (Seamaster automatic) from the 50s or 60s. I've never owned a vintage wrist watch before and I have a couple of questions for those of you who own and wear them.

1. If properly maintained, generally speaking, how long can you expect a watch from the 50s or 60s to run? These watches were made to last. Lots of donor watches available for parts, so they will pretty much last Forever.
2. How often do you need to take the watch in for routine maintenance? Every few years (3-5) for service, but I would not trust them to be waterproof anymore.
3. Is the maintenance costly? I'm just looking for ballpark figures.Not very expensive since a basic service starts at about $125.00
4. I hear acrylic crystal easily scratches. Is it true that it's easy to repair the scratches using toothpaste? Yes, it does scratch easy. Yes, toothpaste and polywatch will make the acrylic look like new. It only takes a few minutes of your time. I use both of them on my Omega Speedmaster every few months and have been very pleased.
Thanks for your comments!

Hope this helps

If the movement is in OK condition and is properly cared for, it should last decades (there are still watches from two hundred and more years ago that run). It used to be that watches were best off with annual cleaning and lubrication, but with modern synthetic lubricants you can go up to five years between cleanings. A proper cleaning and lubrication can run two to five hundred dollars. Like buying a vintage car, you would be best off to get one in very good condition to begin with, so look to a reputable source (some even offer warrantees - check out Father Time Antiques website, for example). Acrylic is not as scratch resistant as modern sapphire, but no big deal - often the crystal is replaced routinely at cleanings. It is not a bad idea to buy a fine vintage timepiece - it may even increase in value while you own it.

Answers to your questions:

1. If properly maintained, generally speaking, how long can you expect a watch from the 50s or 60s to run?

Forever, pretty much. Omegas of that vintage were very good watches. A mechanical watch can run a long time if properly maintained.

2. How often do you need to take the watch in for routine maintenance?

That sort of depends, but older watches probably require maintenance, repair and replacement more often than modern watches. 1. They're older - just like a vintage car - the parts are older an can require maintenance more often. 2. Older watches weren't as water and dust resistant so they might require service more often. A rule of thumb is probably every 2-3 years.

3. Is the maintenance costly? I'm just looking for ballpark figures.

Probably anywhere from $100-400, depending if it just needs a basic cleaning, lubrication, etc. or if a part or parts need replacing. You get what you pay for - a good quality watchmaker is worth his weight in gold. There are a lot of mediocre watch makers. Someone like these guys have an excellent reputation and charge accordingly.

4. I hear acrylic crystal easily scratches. Is it true that it's easy to repair the scratches using toothpaste?

These crystals do scratch easily but are easily polished again. Toothpaste does an OK job but there's a product called Polywatch that is excellent at removing scratches from plastic watch crystals.

Vintage watches are a lot like vintage automobiles. If you're not careful, you can end up buying one that looks great but is a world of trouble "under the hood." If you do buy one, make sure it's from a reputable source. Don't be surprised if it requires a bit of TLC, though.

My grandfather gave me his 1959 Omega Seamaster when he passed. I've had several years and just sent it to my watch guy for a tuneup and OEM crystal replacement. Other than that, tuneup evey 3 years. He has to replace the hairspring, which has been difficult to find but I've been more than happy with the watches performance and only wear it for special occasions. FYI - Otto Frei carries original Omega parts. I'm not sure how important it is, but I've only replaced with genuine Omega parts.

The only thing I would add is that unless you get a watch that was babied and worn only on rare occasions vintage watches often times have had rough lives and have the scars to prove it. Also if you are used to modern watches and quartz watches you should be prepared to have to set the watch every day or every few days. Most vintage watches are just not very accurate by comparison. You can service it and replace some parts but its not cost effective to replace every worn part.

I have a 1963 Omega Constellation pie pan style gold/stainless automatic watch with a metal 'beads of rice' strap. It looks and runs great. I took it in to the Jewelers to get a tune up, and they really were fascinated by it. Apparently the pie pan 60s Omega constellations are really in demand now by collectors. But the main reason I like the watch though is that it used to be my Dad's, so it has a lot of sentimental value.

A quality watch, such as an Omega, that is properly maintained will last longer than you. Have it thoroughly cleaned, by that I mean taken apart and stripped down, at least every 5 years; make sure the watchmaker doing the work knows what he/she is doing. You can expect to pay $300-$500 to have this done. The watch, however, will not be waterproof/water resistant, so keep it well away from water. To get scratches out of an acrylic crystal I've found that Brasso, brass polish, works very well.

I have an Omega Seamaster. Every 2 years I need to take it in for service so that it keeps proper time. It seems to slow down as time goes on. Other than that it is in great shape and works well.

My advice is to be on the look out for spare parts and keep a stash. For example, I have an original Omega watch face and glass in case something tragic happens to mine.

Alex.

Top Bottom