What's new

Vintage Pal Adjustable Stainless Steel Injector Razor

Graydog

Biblical Innards

Vintage Pal Adjustable Stainless Steel Injector Razor

I been think of trying a injector razor ,I remember My Father having a few.
Just wondering if this might be a place to start. most of them look light and I figured this
being SS it might have some heft

The PAL adjustables are beloved by some gents and not by others. They are hefty for Injectors, but can be difficult to learn to use. They don't operate at the same angles as most other Injectors, and the adjustment mechanism doesn't work in the same manner as most adjustable razors. Personally, I am not a fan, but some very knowledgeable gents think they can give some of the best shaves obtainable. They can be dialed up to a high degree of aggression, if that's what you like.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There is some mass to it - I get 52g for the PAL (with a blank in it), but only 32g for a Schick adjustable with a blade. I had another PAL & sold it, but always have a Schick Adjustable in the ready rack. There were tales some time ago about some of the PALs suffering from a blade mis-alignment issue, but I can't recall the specifics. Visually the PAL is more robust, but I've never broken a Schick ..

I was able to try one of these thanks to a passaround a while back. I like aggressive razors. While not aggressive, even wide open, I found it very efficient, and the angles seemed very intuitive to me. I thought it made a very good head shaving razor. It's on my short list of razors to pick up after this year's sabbatical.

The Pal Adjustable is an outstanding razor. It's futuristic appearance reminds me of the DE Merkur Futur. The first few times I used the Pal Adjustable I thought it was too mild. Then I discovered the secret: When shaving, lower the handle maybe 10 or 15 degree from normal.

The reason is the face of the head that contacts one's face is not parallel to the angle of the recessed blade. It's the blade, not the face of the razor's head, that cuts the whiskers. These differing angles are easy to see in good light upon close examination of the razor's head and blade.

I recommend the Pal Adjustable. I have tough whiskers and find a setting of 4 on the 5 possible settings is about right for me. YMMV. The
triangular long handle may not be comfortable to all, but no razor is 100%.

It is stainless steel and came out in June 1962.

Last edited:
The PAL Adjustable is a unique razor. It is one of the coolest looking razors I have ever seen and is the inspiration for The Single Edge injector razor and quite possibly the Cobra Classic. It was one of the first, if not the first, safety razors to be made mostly of stainless steel. It is capable of great shaves, but there is a learning curve.

Being unique, it is not at all representative of injector razors as a group. In fact, other than taking the same blade it has very little in common with them.

So, if you want to get a PAL because you like the looks and want to see how it shaves for you, go for it. However, if you just want to see what injectors in general are like, you'd probably be better off with a Schick, at least for a first injector.

--Bob

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Thanks Guy's, The Pal is very cool looking indeed. SS back in the early 60s. I will try and get one.
The others just look like plastic to me (cheap) I f I was to go for a first one what would be the recommendation of
the Schick's ?

A good starter Schick would be a Type G or I. In my opinion, they are in the middle between mild and aggressive. The earlier Schicks (Types A to E) tend to be more aggressive, and the later models (J through O) tend to be milder with a single blade. However the later models really perform outstandingly with the Twin blades. I omit the Type F because it is in a class by itself--very efficient, but smooth and comfortable. The Type Fs are also very rare.

The PAL Adjustable is an Awesome Injector..Some People Struggle with Subtlety's of this Razor..I Personally Find it very Easy to Use..Always Did..Its a Listening Mans Injector & is in a League of its Own in My Books..:w00t:

Billy

PAL Adjustables are certainly lookers. Some, however, have broken adjusters.

I sold mine because the handle didn't feel right in my hand. YMMV...I really wanted to like it.

I am in the fence. I find the adjustment mechanism is a bit fragile and fiddly. Did require a lot of maintenance.

Shave was ok. I like the weight but fins the handle a bit slippery...

Like i said i am on the fence.

Sent from Mars

Finally shaved with my Pal Adjustable. Waited until I had a day and a half growth to really gauge it's effectiveness. Using my go-to combo, a Maca Root/Williams super lather, I started with a setting of one. Got a close shave. A couple spots not as smooth as I can get because I didn't want to over shave. Only one misstep resulting in a nick. Not bad for the first shave with an unfamiliar razor. A couple more shaves at one, I think I find 3 a more effective setting.

I really like my Pal adjustable...I usually go on 3 or 4 and I find it to be a great shaver.....and yes it does look really cool!

I thought I would resurrect this thread instead of posting a new one:

I finally got a PAL Adjustable, I really like the fit and feel of this Vintage razor. It has nice heft and the shave I obtained this morning was superb. I loaded the razor with a Chick blade that I had to put into a old PAL INJECTOR because the CHICK INJECTOR wouldn't fit into razor and I didn't want to force things and damage my new acquisition. I shaved with the razor set on the middle setting which I assume would be a 3 or 4 setting and again it was a wonderful shave. I didn't have any problems with the angle as I listened for the audible feedback and sure enough it was there performed my normal three pass shave WTG,XTG, AND ATG. I didn't experience any nicks, weepers or irritation whatsoever nothing but smooth shaving. I will take it out again in the morning and adjust it to see what type of results I get
View attachment 697016View attachment 697019

SMOOTH SHAVING:shaving:

Top Bottom