What's new

Vintage or Modern ... What's your preference?

I prefer to buy new, so vintage is out. My ideal would have been a vintage razor company that is still in existence producing razors, sort of like an MdC equivalent for razors. That said, I have only owned 2 razors -- my first was an EJ DE89, and my current is a Feather AS-D2. I look at current ones every now and then but haven't felt the urge to change just yet.

This is an old list of in production stainless steel razors.
I should probably try and bring it up to date.

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I think what you are experiencing is the blade rigidity some modern razors have over the vintage razors. The more solidly clamped and the nearer to the edge the clamping is, the more smooth (generally speaking of course)
Thank you! That really helped.

I still cannot believe to this day that I sold all my modern razors and I never looked back (including 2 Wolfmans).
Maybe one day I’ll regret it, but at the minute I throughly enjoy the vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I still cannot believe to this day that I sold all my modern razors and I never looked back (including 2 Wolfmans).
Maybe one day I’ll regret it, but at the minute I throughly enjoy the vintage.

I love as well the suspense of buying a new vintage... is the plating still good, will the silo doors work, is the adjustment ring smooth enough, will I be able to make it shiny and perfectly functional? [emoji4]

I guess I fell in that dangerous hole....

I have owned both and have always wanted to use The vintage razors more than the modern ones I own, but I don’t. I prefer modern SS razors over the vintage stuff. I like the feel of them in my hand and that on my face they are more efficient than the vintage razors I have owned: Fatboy, Slim, Old Type, New Type, Techs, Krona, Super Speed, Red Tip, etc.. The only Vintage razor that I still own is the Slim and it never sees any use. I tried shaving with the Slim last week dialed up to 9 and I couldn‘t get a good shave with it. Maybe it needs to be serviced.

Vintage for me. Theres some wonderful new razors out there but they just don't have the character that the vintage ones do. Theres just something about shaving with a razor that is 50+ years old that is just special to me. Ive got a Gillette New from the 1930s that I used from time to time and sometimes I just look at that razor and think about all the history that it was seen and the stories that it could probably tell if it could talk.
Not to mention can pick up a vintage Gillette in mint condition for 1/4 what a new stainless razor will cost you.

Vintage for me. Theres some wonderful new razors out there but they just don't have the character that the vintage ones do. Theres just something about shaving with a razor that is 50+ years old that is just special to me. Ive got a Gillette New from the 1930s that I used from time to time and sometimes I just look at that razor and think about all the history that it was seen and the stories that it could probably tell if it could talk.
Not to mention can pick up a vintage Gillette in mint condition for 1/4 what a new stainless razor will cost you.
I do agree with your comment about the character/cost of vintage razors, and that is why I always wanted to like them, use them. I just don’t get as good a shave from those that I have tried. Maybe I should just shim an OC Old Type to make it more efficient.

I do agree with your comment about the character/cost of vintage razors, and that is why I always wanted to like them, use them. I just don’t get as good a shave from those that I have tried. Maybe I should just shim an OC Old Type to make it more efficient.
Could be. Vintage razors tend to be more mild but I always found that you can work around that by simply riding the cap.

Modern for me.

Tried vintage and found them all... meh. I kept one flare tip, that's all.
So, it is fair to say, vintage is not my thing.
I find this interesting. (and by, "interesting", I don't mean wrong, simply interesting and it makes me want to ask questions to understand it) I personally find modern razors to be meh. What about vintage razors is meh to you but isn't about modern ones?

Today I went with my “feelz” and used my 1973 black handled Super Speed. It just seemed “right” and I really enjoy the loud sounds it makes as it does the needful.

Tomorrow it may be the utterly soulless Merkur Heavy Duty that I can fly around fast and unthinkingly with.

I hope by the end of the week I can try the BBS.

Top Bottom