What's new

Vintage or Modern ... What's your preference?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Both?

For 40 years, I loved using my dad‘s Gillette Slim L1. Two months ago, I finally went modern, getting a Rockwell 6S. LOVE IT! Baby-butt smooth long-lasting shaves, never a nick. Today, I used the Slim again. Nicked myself, and the shave wasn‘t as close or comfortable as the 6S. My question to those wiser than I, does the Slim need a professional adjustment, or is that just how Slims shave?

Techs are my favorite vintage razors. If I had to choose between the fat handle tech and the ball end tech I would have to go with the ball end tech
See, perfect example of what I posted above—enablers! :biggrin1: The one I picked up is a ball end. Can’t wait to give it a go!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I love the idea of vintage razors (and purchased one so as not to be left out of the party), but to compare them with my Wolfman seems a silly exercise. Using inflation adjusted dollars most of them would be selling for way under $100 - an incredible bargain for the quality provided.

But I've only been using the Wolfman at home since it arrived.

I don't, however, think of it as an either/or situation. Lots of hardware and software available and lots of different faces to shave. Use whatever makes you happy - for whatever reason.

Both?

For 40 years, I loved using my dad‘s Gillette Slim L1. Two months ago, I finally went modern, getting a Rockwell 6S. LOVE IT! Baby-butt smooth long-lasting shaves, never a nick. Today, I used the Slim again. Nicked myself, and the shave wasn‘t as close or comfortable as the 6S. My question to those wiser than I, does the Slim need a professional adjustment, or is that just how Slims shave?
I think what you are experiencing is the blade rigidity some modern razors have over the vintage razors. The more solidly clamped and the nearer to the edge the clamping is, the more smooth (generally speaking of course)

I have a few moderns, but only on the lower price end. I rotate into them occasionally, but usually stay with the vintage. Most used are techs and my black beauty with others sliding in as impulse hits.

I think what you are experiencing is the blade rigidity some modern razors have over the vintage razors. The more solidly clamped and the nearer to the edge the clamping is, the more smooth (generally speaking of course)

This fully explains my experience so far with Fatboys and Slims. I do believe that rigidity is a key factor. Thats why I like my Gillette NEWs.

Both! My current favorite is a modern Timeless. Next are a variety of vintage razors with my modern Merkur at the very bottom of my list. I’m hoping that the soon to arrive Blackland Tradere becomes the new number 1, but can easily accept the Timeless remaining in the top spot.

For me the higher end modern razors can be superb, but are also costly. My vintage razors have generally been much less expensive and can also be superb.

If I had to pick just one razor and that would be it, I could probably be happy with well over half of my razors. As I have evolved, so has my technique and the variety is much more for fun than for purpose. YMMV.

Never liked any of the modern DE razors I have used over the years, only kept my merkur 34c and it doesn't get used, well maybe once or twice in a year.

This fully explains my experience so far with Fatboys and Slims. I do believe that rigidity is a key factor. Thats why I like my Gillette NEWs.
This is also why I believe Techs are such good shavers. I have a flat bottom Tech coming to add to the others and supposedly it is the thicker base that makes them even more smooth.

I’m a vintage guy. I love my techs, and I have not found a better razor for me. Plus they are not expensive.

My best shave came from a 1912 Everyready with a Gem blade. I have 3 other vintage SE that are right up there. The Tech, Slim and Super Speed are okay. If I just want a smooth relaxing shave I would still reach for my Rockwell 6c with plate 3 and a GSB.

Modern handles! As for razors, vintage for me; I have some newer razors, but I have played around with their handles, as well.
P1020808.JPG

Top Bottom