What's new

Vintage or Modern ... What's your preference?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It’s been a circular journey for me. Started with modern (Merkur, Muhle, Feather AS-D2), then fell hard for vintage, and I’ve tried most every vintage out there (except an ultra-rare few). Sold or gave away most of them, and then began to acquire the high-end modern razors (Wolfman, CG, Paradigm, Timeless, etc.). I’ve unloaded all of those, too, and last week picked up a local Slim for $10, leaving my den with it, a British Hybrid Tech and a Goodwill #160. Loaded the Slim (setting 9) with a fresh Polsilver blade this morning and was blown away by the smoothness and efficiency.

I suppose the moral of my story is that one can find a ‘desert island’ razor from the ranks of either vintage or modern. You might find it with the first razor you choose; you may need to try 100 before you find ‘it’; or you may discover that any razor, with technique, experience and synergy, can be that island.

I like both. That said, I like to "dress up" my vintage razors a bit with different handles. So I use my Gillette Old Type head with a RazoRock Barberpole handle. I use my Gillette New Deluxe head with Ikon Bulldog handles (80mm and 85mm). I also have two more modern razors. A RazoRock Game Changer Open Comb (0.84) with the HD handle and a Schone Open Comb. I have both the older ribbed handle as well as the newer swirl handle. I dropped the top cap of the first one and broke one of the alignment pins off. So I bought another one that came with the new handle, which I actually like better. And these razors mentioned above happen to be my favorite razors in my 35 razor collection and see all the action.

In se it is clear modern even tilting head designs. Broman, oneblade, focus dynamic. Do not care That much about vintage gems. Never tried injectors.

In de land it gets murky I like my gilette black beauty and sometimes I use a tech or single ring open comb. But I prefer my qshave adjustable or Parker variant

And somehow I am dialing down razors happy what works so no need for new toys

I like and can appreciate both. As it currently stands my collection is a 50/50 mix of modern and vintage. Personally I won’t say that one is “better” or “worse” than the other because everyone’s different and what appeals to me might not to someone else

When I started with DE I said no way I’ll be screwing around with vintage razors. Then I figured I’d get one nice birth year Gillette. Then i got a whole pile of vintage Gillette’s. No way I’m going to screw around with those kooky old Gem type single edge razors. Maybe one 1812 for fun...down the rabbit hole, but not a chance I’m going to bother with Schick injectors...well...maybe I’ll try one. I don’t think there are anymore rabbit holes for me to fall into.

Another vote for both. In fact, just picked up my first Gillette Tech off the Bay a few minutes ago. A Gem Micromatic and a Gillette Super Speed were also in the lot, but I think the Super Speed is probably too rough to shave with (some plate loss on the safety bar). The Gem may be okay, but I can't tell about one of the blade stops. The Tech, however, looks to be in stellar condition and is the real reason I was bidding after reading some of the enablers on B&B. In fact, this was a perfect lesson in why there should be some separation from B&B and the instant ability to shop. I was just perusing the forums, came across some info on the Tech, thought "hmm, that sounds like it might work great for me, I wonder how much they go for?" A few minutes later and the bid was in and the auction won.

Techs are my favorite vintage razors. If I had to choose between the fat handle tech and the ball end tech I would have to go with the ball end tech
Likewise. I've had two ball-end Techs and they were both amazing razors. Eventually I may search for another, but we'll see how the cheap Gillette modern Tech I ordered from Aliexpress does when it gets here before I decide to look for another Tech.

Last edited:
Top Bottom