What's new

Vintage or Modern ... What's your preference?

The question says it all. For me, there are so many stunning modern razors that I just haven't been bitten by the vintage bug (yet). What about you guys?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I much prefer vintage razors that have been around for decades and had several previous owners as this adds to their character. It has nothing to do with the quality of the shave, modern razors may well be better in that respect, but to me they lack something intangible but vital; they are cold, characterless, and sterile, like surgeon's tools. I prefer a bit of wear on my vintage razors rather than mint unused examples for the same reason. YMMV

Wet shaving is not a rocket science and modern razors are not always better than their Vintage counterparts. I would Always prefer a Gillette NEW for any of the ZAMAK razors out there. I love the idea of holding something in my hands which surveyed World Wars... Anyway, I just ordered a modern stainless steel razor. You can have both :)

Depends for me. I just ordered a new RR BBS and my hope is it will be a durable daily driver being stainless.

My current daily is a Tech.

I have a fantastic Red Tip and Slim, 2 beautiful triangle slot Techs, 2 great Super Speeds, a perfect pre-krona and a Flat Bottom Tech is coming.

On some days a vintage razor just feels right and somehow lifts your soul, like driving a vintage car.

On some days the 34C, which I have said is simply a good tool but has no soul, is the right one.

I just got 2 new plastic Wilkinson Swords and am actually excited to try them out.

I just go with my gut or how I “want” to feel that day. Sundays are for a nice vintage razor for sure but a hectic Tuesday morning and it’s better to go with something that is sure and easy.

Modern for me. Have tried a few vintage (new LC, goodwill, rfb, deluxe 17mm, British flat bottom tech, super speed) but none were on par with the moderns in terms of tolerances or aggressiveness. But with that being said, if I had a lighter beard I could see myself gravitating more towards them. I also ten to prefer 85-90mm handles at 13-14mm, which most vintage razors are around 70mm/11-12mm

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like both. I have more modern razors, and only recently tried a 60’s Super Speed, loved it. I have another vintage on the way. Mine are all mellow shavers, similar feel, but they all look and feel different. There are a few more vintage I’m interested in but less so of the modern now.

Soo, I need to know at what age a razor is called "vintage"? How many years post production?
Is this a real term or is it a copy of the Apple store......sorry we don't service your device, it's considered vintage...:cursing:

The question says it all. For me, there are so many stunning modern razors that I just haven't been bitten by the vintage bug (yet). What about you guys?

Guess you and I even each other out in beautiful fashion - I own around 75 vintages (and have re-sold just as many) and not a single modern razor. Shows how wonderful this hobby is, there is something for everyone! - I personally am smitten with shaving with implements made so many years ago, under other and different historic circumstances (think of the 1941 Ranger Tech made for only 6 months in the midst of war). I love that I use something still going strong after maybe 70-80 years, and I don’t mind at all that some other guy have shaved with it before. On the contrary. For instance I own a couple of razors collected and used by a former plating manager at the UK Gillette plant... How cool is that?!

But as said, different strokes for different folks, and I completely get the allure of those cool modern razors!

:thumbup:

Guess you and I even each other out in beautiful fashion - I own around 75 vintages (and have re-sold just as many) and not a single modern razor. Shows how wonderful this hobby is, there is something for everyone! - I personally am smitten with shaving with implements made so many years ago, under other and different historic circumstances (think of the 1941 Ranger Tech made for only 6 months in the midst of war). I love that I use something still going strong after maybe 70-80 years, and I don’t mind at all that some other guy have shaved with it before. On the contrary. For instance I own a couple of razors collected and used by a former plating manager at the UK Gillette plant... How cool is that?!

But as said, different strokes for different folks, and I completely get the allure of those cool modern razors!

[emoji106]
Wonderfully said. You kinda got me wanting to try something vintage now. I do love this hobby.

Top Bottom