What's new

[Vintage Gillette] So, what next for me?

I've got a Gillette flare tip mid 60s, red tip, slim adjustable, black beauty right now. And nothing else.

These little minions shave like God's gift. :D

Since these are so awesome, what should I be aiming for next?

Old type? New LC/SC? A tech of some sort? Another straight bar TTO? Or a TTO with open comb?

I'm more interested in something that's an improvement or equal standard at least. A TTO with open comb seems interesting.

proxy.php

I've got a Gillette flare tip mid 60s, red tip, slim adjustable, black beauty right now. And nothing else.

Old type? New LC/SC? A tech of some sort? Another straight bar TTO? Or a TTO with open comb?

I'm more interested in something that's an improvement or equal standard at least. A TTO with open comb seems interesting.

The Gillette Senator is a nice open comb TTO.

Looks like all you have are TTOs right now. Though I have many, these are my least favorite Gillettes as I find the heads a bit bulky.

Any of the open comb gillettes are a vast improvement for me. I do like the NEW, and New Improved, but for me you can't beat an Old type, whether it be a ball end or single/double ring. Both thick cap and thin cap are amazing razors, but my preference leans towards the thin caps.

Old types are plentiful and can be found for a song at antique stores and ebay. They can be found for as little as $5 for a user grade, and with a little practice will reward you with an incredibly smooth shave.

Or you could do nothing, for now. Learn the intracacies of the razors you have now for a while. Then go looking. Or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any recommendations really depend on what your face likes. The Slim and Super can be as mild (1) or aggressive (9) as you want or like. What setting(s) do you enjoy?

If your using one of the higher setting, you may be ready for an open comb. If you prefer settings 1 & 2, maybe a Tech is more your speed. I'm not a fan of my Old Type, which seems to take too much work to get that super close shave, but find the New SC to be a fantastic shaver.

We could use more info on what you have, and how you use them. Of course, you are missing that 195 or Fat-Boy, having it's younger brothers, just saying.

I typically use my adjustable between 5 to 7.

Thick or thin heads don't bother me.

What's the difference between the new and old type?

What about a Senator then?

I would suggest a New RFB #77 however, wonderful. Or a #58 Rocket.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Early Super Speed NDC and a New long comb will be good additions to any collection and for only a small investment.

I began to quote the posts above, only to realize I had quoted almost all of them.
One of each type, within reason, and find your preference. If you choose to go the route of collecting, you can focus on a particular run.
As far as the Open Combs go:
Old Types, there is a great chance you can find an inexpensive one, but you want to make sure the teeth are good, the cap is properly matched to the comb(102 & 102a are different).
Keep your eye out for a Double Ring or Single ring if you like the OT's or decided to collect.
Each of the NEW-Type, long comb, short comb, and deluxe, are good and worth owning and shaving with.
Try out the Goodwill Types.
Sheraton or Senator are the same, just with a different finish.
I think I am keeping 1 New Improved razor, just because...it might have been used 12 times, that's all.
Safety Bar Razors have a great following and different nuances
Milord/40's Super Speed/Ranger, though debatably either the same or different, are good.
Pre-War Tech-Yes

If you decided to go British...I hope you live abroad because shipping is killer. They are great razors and are easy to love.

I afraid you're now officially doomed to get more and more until you find the one that will make you want to sell off all your other razors.
Then you'll come back here and read about some other amazing razors and get those till you find the ONE and sell off all the others.
Rinse and repeat. But it's enjoyable if you can keep doing it.

I afraid you're now officially doomed to get more and more until you find the one that will make you want to sell off all your other razors.
Then you'll come back here and read about some other amazing razors and get those till you find the ONE and sell off all the others.
Rinse and repeat. But it's enjoyable if you can keep doing it.

This is pretty accurate. I bought them all, now that I’ve narrowed my razors of choice down to 4, I’m selling the others, except for 3-6 that I’ll never run across again in a similar condition, at a manageable price.
Now those 4 I’m keeping, have back-ups...so I shall be ever vigilant.

Yes, try the old type next. That's where I went after the "New". I'm kind of interested in an Aristocrat next because it seems to align more with my status, lol. ;)

Top Bottom