What's new

Vintage GEM blades

During the last couple of months, I have acquired several GEM/Ever Ready razors. Some of the purchases included one or more vintage blades. GEM shavers have you tried the vintage blades?

Thanks

I did recently. They shaved ok. Wasn’t as smooth as a modern coated blade.

Felt like a modern blade when it gets to the “I can probably get one or two more shaves out of this” feel.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Some of the older gem razors had stropping attachments that could be used to to recondition a old carbon blade.
To get a nice sharp edge is a challenge for any one. If they have not been used before those blades might work.
The old blade more than likely will not have the sharpness of a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade but might be smoother with some sharpness. I tried to strop a old blade that looked reasonable while I was waiting for new blades to arrive and it did not cut that well.(I did not have a stropping attachment like these at the time and that would of helped.)
Both of these Gem razors have stropping attachments Incorporated into the handles. Gem & Gillette were way ahead in razor advancements than most of it's competitors IMO in different time lines until plastic cartridge razors made their preview and that hurt the old traditional razor MFG's. Some remnants of the ASR corp are still out there like Personna brand that ASR bought out.
Stropping attachment inside of handle! (2).jpg
GEM Damaskeene OC 1912-15(2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Yes I have and my suggestion is no don't do it.
But my vintage blade was a Treet.

I guess the answer is really to try it so you can see the difference.

I just use the Gem 3 facet PTFE and just can't believe that I can get around 30 shaves out of them.

For DE comparison
Astra 2 shaves
Personna Lab Prep/7 oClock about 10
Feather about 10.

I have only had luck using vintage blades by refreshing with honing. I’ve tried quite a number of older blade brands, particularly the early, thicker ones - fresh out of the pack, or strop only, or hone and strop. Some of the shaves I recall were pretty crappy. I did get the hang of a full refresh eventually though. You need to start with a blade with next to no edge deterioration, not easy to find. It can be done, but success needs to be liberally defined and to be honest I don‘t try very often in the last while. (sliding some vintage wedge blades into your run however can be a lot of fun if you get the appropriate razor/s).

You do need to give it a try. Perhaps you can come up with a simple yet clever refresh process. You would be da man! Post your results.

Top Bottom