What's new

GEM Razors Aggressiveness: No such thing?

Assuming that the shaving technique is optimal, the results are always linked to several factors: Razor, blade, number of passes, type of beard and skin sensitivity.
Several articles rank razors for their “aggressiveness”. The problem is that an aggressive razor may be such for some and totally the opposite for others.
Skin sensitivity is the main factor that needs to be included, since everybody is certainly looking for a CCS, DFS or BBS, but without irritation and with the best comfort possible.

Bottom line: razors are efficient and aggressive only in relation to our face.

Ron R has several visual interpretation charts and an excellent definition for Aggressiveness and Efficiency: GEM Razors Efficiency/Aggressiveness Chart - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razors-efficiency-aggressiveness-chart.578721/

I would like to show a new chart that addresses the comfort of some of the GEM razors, keeping in mind also the “skin” factor (Delicate - Normal - Tough).
Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 11.50.24 AM.jpeg
I have tried to interpret the data collected from the many articles on the topic.

The last factor that each of us needs to plug in is our “type of beard”, keeping in mind that choosing a more efficient razor may provide a closer shave, but it may be less comfortable.

Hope this will help decide which may be our next best razor.

Assuming that the shaving technique is optimal, the results are always linked to several factors: Razor, blade, number of passes, type of beard and skin sensitivity.
Several articles rank razors for their “aggressiveness”. The problem is that an aggressive razor may be such for some and totally the opposite for others.
Skin sensitivity is the main factor that needs to be included, since everybody is certainly looking for a CCS, DFS or BBS, but without irritation and with the best comfort possible.

Ron R has several visual interpretation charts and an excellent definition for Aggressiveness and Efficiency: GEM Razors Efficiency/Aggressiveness Chart - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razors-efficiency-aggressiveness-chart.578721/

I would like to show a new chart that addresses the comfort of some of the GEM razors, keeping in mind also the “skin” factor (Delicate - Normal - Tough).View attachment 1794700I have tried to interpret the data collected from the many articles on the topic.

The last factor that each of us needs to plug in is our “type of beard”, keeping in mind that choosing a more efficient razor may provide a closer shave, but it may be less comfortable.

This is a great chart! Thanks for making it. I have not seen a chart that added in beard type. Excellent call!
I am guessing that 'Feather 2nd' is the second version of the FeatherWeight?

I also have seen several charts the different razors are placed in different positions as to their efficiency so there is a lot of YMMV in that department.

I know that the different versions of the G-Bar(Heavy Flat Top) produce different shaves from posts by Ron R. And there are so many variations on the 1912 as well as Damaskeene versions, each with different shave characteristics from what I read. That probably plays into the different razor positioning. I know using shims with the bumpless razors can make a difference in the shaves as well. But I love these charts to give you general ideas where some razors could line up if you get the same versions as the author was using.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

I would like to show a new chart that addresses the comfort of some of the GEM razors, keeping in mind also the “skin” factor (Delicate - Normal - Tough).View attachment 1794700I have tried to interpret the data collected from the many articles on the topic.

Interesting guide if a person is not sure what to buy as a good reference depending on beard type. It helps to guide a fellow at least in the right direction possibly. Great effort in the right direction!

Top Bottom