What's new

Vintage “Boots” badger brush

Been quite awhile since I posted about a brush. I can’t remember when I found it, but just now trying to determine who might have made it. It’s a 18-20mm knot.

Any thought?

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpeg
    IMG_1990.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
I found an old link here at B&B, they mentioned it was made by Simpson for another company. However, the link to the catalog is not longer good.

I found an old link here at B&B, they mentioned it was made by Simpson for another company. However, the link to the catalog is not longer good.

Here is an archived link. It's not an identical logo, presumably older than the one posted in this thread. It does resemble "The Special" model in the link, at a cursory glance.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here is an archived link. It's not an identical logo, presumably older than the one posted in this thread. It does resemble "The Special" model in the link, at a cursory glance.
The ring seems a little more rounded but the shape is very close.
Note on the bottom of page 23 is the Boots imprint they would have used.
Thank you for providing that catalog link, Lil Cooties!

So yeah (as @Whiterook said) Boots is now the largest high street pharmacist in the UK. Logo (and no doubt ownership) will have changed over time, but it's the same brand as in the link. And it'd be almost impossible to know for certain who made that brush because nowadays you can buy Boots 'own brand' anything; from shaving brushes, to shampoo, to cola, to codeine.

Could be quite posh though, I don't see any reason it couldn't be from Simpson given they made shaving brushes for Boots. I got an old Boots straight in a lot a while back and it had ivory scales, which is usually quite telling. Blade was chipped, but I was certainly happy to re-purpose the scales.

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

(It's not quite beyond repair though, and you'd be more than welcome to it if you'd like!)

Last edited:
So yeah (as @Whiterook said) Boots is now the largest high street pharmacist in the UK. Logo (and no doubt ownership) will have changed over time, but it's the same brand as in the link. And it'd be almost impossible to know for certain who made that brush because nowadays you can buy Boots 'own brand' anything; from shaving brushes, to shampoo, to cola, to codeine.

Could be quite posh though, I don't see any reason it couldn't be from Simpson given they made shaving brushes for Boots. I got an old Boots straight in a lot a while back and it had ivory scales, which is usually quite telling. Blade was chipped, but I was certainly happy to re-purpose the scales.

View attachment 1804605

View attachment 1804604

(It's not quite beyond repair though, and you'd be more than welcome to it if you'd like!)
Thank you for the additional information. As for the straight razor, I recently gave up doing restorations and I’m working on liquidating the last of my vintage straights.

I am now focusing on knife making.

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Thank you for the additional information. As for the straight razor, I recently gave up doing restorations and I’m working on liquidating the last of my vintage straights.

I am now focusing on knife making.

And fwiw - Boots definitely don't sell a brush like that nowadays, it's all mass produced in china with synthetic fibres kinda stuff. So it's definitely quite old. At a random guess, based purely on the style of the branding, I'd guess about 50 years.

(Nice work btw! I also happen to work in the knifemaking game, though mostly kitchen knives).

Top Bottom