What's new

Vintage Avon find

Ok, a local antique shop was having a 50% off liquidation sale.. they offered their entire Avon section to me for $40, however, a majority of the bottles were empty or contained Wild Country or Oland. I don't have the space or time to deal with it. If anyone is in Akron, OH tomorrow, it's Stagecoach Antiques on Market, they're open today and Sunday 6/2, 10am to 6 I think, then they're closing the store for good and putting everything online. (tell them Mason sent you) Not much is left but you might be able to get some for a steal. They had a few vehicles, a flask of Spicy, US Capitol Tribute, a few Coin decanters and some other empties. Here's what I grabbed:

"Avon 6" handbook from 1979. Oh man.. this is the stuff right here.. pretty much anything you could buy from Avon before 1980 is in this book.

3 Piece "Father's Day" Aftershave set, Leather, Tribute (both full) and Spicy. The spicy is empty but I've got plenty to put in there.

Empty Oland cologne bottle because it's a great bottle and I have some Oland cologne I may decant in there.

Some Sweet Honesty women's cologne, two Silver Fauns NIB and and a pretty little 1oz bottle.

Not a huge haul but I'm thrilled with the book!

image1 (6).jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, a local antique shop was having a 50% off liquidation sale.. they offered their entire Avon section to me for $40, however, a majority of the bottles were empty or contained Wild Country or Oland. I don't have the space or time to deal with it. If anyone is in Akron, OH tomorrow, it's Stagecoach Antiques on Market, they're open today and Sunday 6/2, 10am to 6 I think, then they're closing the store for good and putting everything online. (tell them Mason sent you) Not much is left but you might be able to get some for a steal. They had a few vehicles, a flask of Spicy, US Capitol Tribute, a few Coin decanters and some other empties. Here's what I grabbed:

"Avon 6" handbook from 1979. Oh man.. this is the stuff right here.. pretty much anything you could buy from Avon before 1980 is in this book.

3 Piece "Father's Day" Aftershave set, Leather, Tribute (both full) and Spicy. The spicy is empty but I've got plenty to put in there.

Empty Oland cologne bottle because it's a great bottle and I have some Oland cologne I may decant in there.

Some Sweet Honesty women's cologne, two Silver Fauns NIB and and a pretty little 1oz bottle.

Not a huge haul but I'm thrilled with the book!

View attachment 986390

Very cool! Never seen that Father's Day set ...or that book, the Hastin book I have is a bit loony. The Oland bottle, got that one, full.

Empties, no can do .... Either. Running out of space for Avon!

AA

Great bottles! I'd like to get that Oland bottle as well. And that lovely Bravo bottle Ad Astra got recently is full of skin goodness.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great bottles! I'd like to get that Oland bottle as well. And that lovely Bravo bottle Ad Astra got recently is full of skin goodness.

That raises a good point - the actual chemistry of the Avon aftershaves. Well-constructed, IMO. Water. Alcohol, glycerin, scent - but mine have stayed perfectly preserved for decades, which is amazing in itself. They are high in glycerin, which remains long after the scent is gone. Swear my skin is better off after using only Avon for the last month or so ... Smoother and better moisturized. A good thing, since I've got enough Avon to fill a swimming pool!

AA

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Picked up a "Captains Pride" ship bottle, full of Oland...

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 4.34.48 PM.png

On first smell I thought I made a drastic mistake, had a really funky base scent. On dry down most of the funkiness is gone, time will tell how I like this one. Cool bottle though.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Picked up a "Captains Pride" ship bottle, full of Oland...

View attachment 987230

On first smell I thought I made a drastic mistake, had a really funky base scent. On dry down most of the funkiness is gone, time will tell how I like this one. Cool bottle though.

Nice. I admit I want that one ... heard it can leak, though.

Oland has this "cigarette ash" note, in fact it's in a bunch of the Avons. Reminds me of the club ...

AA

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Oland has this "cigarette ash" note, in fact it's in a bunch of the Avons. Reminds me of the club ...

AA

No leaks so far, fingers crossed...

That initial funky blast is completely gone now. I wonder if it had anything to do with the temp, it was very hot the day I received it and the bottle was still pretty warm when I first opened it. Cooled down, at room temp there is no funky odor. Liking the Oland!

I found these at a flea market in Saylorsburg, PA. Lady was asking $5 a piece. I offered her $2 for the Motorcycle, then 2 for $3 on the Turkey and Totem pole. Sold. The cycle was empty, wild country, Turkey full of Deep Woods, Pole full of Spicey.

SaylorAvon.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No leaks so far, fingers crossed...

That initial funky blast is completely gone now. I wonder if it had anything to do with the temp, it was very hot the day I received it and the bottle was still pretty warm when I first opened it. Cooled down, at room temp there is no funky odor. Liking the Oland!

Glass bottle, should be OK. Had my plastic bottle of Veg sit in a 120 mailbox one August ... yeah, it smelled plastic-y.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I found these at a flea market in Saylorsburg, PA. Lady was asking $5 a piece. I offered her $2 for the Motorcycle, then 2 for $3 on the Turkey and Totem pole. Sold. The cycle was empty, wild country, Turkey full of Deep Woods, Pole full of Spicey.

View attachment 988065

Great deals! Never seen the Turkey, and paid more than that for my Totem Pole ... it's very cool one! Especially if you've been to Pacific NW/Alaska.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Oland is really nice after it sits on your face a few minutes. Very nice in the fall, IMHO.

View attachment 988065

You stole that Spicy!

AA

I store my ship in a bottle upright on the shelf. No leaks that way!

Been thinking about making bottle holder that would angle back a little bit to display this thing in a more pleasing position. just haven't gotten around to it yet.

You like "ash"? Try a swig of Special Reserve with 2 swigs of Oland. Smokey goodness!

FarmerTan

Photos to follow, but..... Picked up a leather in a pump decanter, and a spicy in a paddle boat decanter. But..... My greatest find today was an old spice in a light house! All at the Salvation Army. The War Department was not thrilled. She thinks I have too much aftershave. I'm not going to mention purses and shoes though. I don't like sleeping with one eye open!!!

Photos to follow, but..... Picked up a leather in a pump decanter, and a spicy in a paddle boat decanter. But..... My greatest find today was an old spice in a light house! All at the Salvation Army. The War Department was not thrilled. She thinks I have too much aftershave. I'm not going to mention purses and shoes though. I don't like sleeping with one eye open!!!
The Old Spice in the lighthouse is a real find. It's a gorgeous decanter and it's the Shulton formula too.

FarmerTan

The Old Spice in the lighthouse is a real find. It's a gorgeous decanter and it's the Shulton formula too.
Dude, I am so dense! It is Old Spice, but it's in a beer stein. Must be old, cuz it smells divine. I seriously handled it, by the handle, and STILL thought it was a light house. Ugh.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After running out of places to put these fabulous-yet-inexpensive acquisitions … there were still a couple Avons in the mail. (A generous member here even offered me another bottle, but at this point …)

I thought the only aftershaves I didn't have doubles on were Excalibur and Bravo, so ...

full

Spirit of St. Louis. I don't know how RARE this is, but I can tell you how LARGE it is … What was I thinking! (That I "needed" 6 more ounces of Excalibur). This one's box is the size of a phone book. I have GOT to give it to the flea market lady when empty ...

full

And an Indian cent full of Bravo - naturally, with the box.

AA

Top Bottom