Vintage April, 2024

IMG_3004.jpeg

Vintage April 19/30
1955 Rocket HD 500• Nacet(5)• Rex 1966• Semogue 2000 Boar•
Details.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Famous last words.
I lean towards 3-piece razors so that reduces the Vintage razors that interest me. I only want the President as a pass down to our sons: "One of Dad's birth year and quarter razors"... I already have a 1953 Y2 Super Speed... I guess I could pick up a 1953 Y2 Tech... but I suspect the Canada Pre-war and the Flat Bottom Tech are better razors, but I haven't tried all the Techs, obviously.

New LC, no patent info (so manufactured between 1929 and May 1932)

Nacet (7)

A very close shave on a 2 day stubble. I typically shave daily, though.

I really want to add a vintage razor to my daily rotation. Unfortunately I don't get along well with mild Gillette razors, too much cleanup and it leads to irritation. So, this leaves three candidates out of the ones I have:

1) This New LC. It's a very clean shave with minimal cleanup, but can be a tad too close if not paying attention. A strong blade feel, for a Gillette anyway, and a super close shave. Likes shallow angles. Being the oldest and an OC, this is the one I really want to tame.

2) A pre-war Tech with triangular slots. Close in performance to the New LC, somewhat less demanding and not too sensitive to the angle. This may be the one I will settle on.

3) A 1953 (Y-4) Superspeed. I was very excited when I shaved with it for the first time as it seemed to be the mildest of the three with still very good efficiency. But the subsequent shaves have been fairly scratchy / not very smooth. Not sure why. The razor is definitely not bent or damaged in any way.

The "winner" will get a trip to Backroads Gold for replating.

IMG_3741.jpeg

Last edited:
20240422_073851.jpg

Razor: Shake-Sharp Mk. I, V1
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Long Rifle Brown Bess Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

23/4/24

Soap - MdC Vetyver
Brush - Yaqi 20mm G4
Razor - Gillette Thin Handle Flat Bottom Tech
Blade - Suneko (2)
Post - Alum
AS - Denim Original

This particular razor looks a little worse for wear, fairly tarnished and quite a bit of the plating is long gone. Nonetheless, it performs beautifully in the shave. I've got a number of different Techs but this one is my favourite. It's the mildest Tech I own, but it seems to work with a lot of blades nonetheless and it's always smooth in the shave.

I've seen the Suneko blade get a lot of love on this forum, but I'm somewhat unconvinced by this blade. It's sharp, but not the smoothest. I managed a few small weepers with the blade, but the alum block closed them without a problem.

IMG20240423121206.jpg

I managed to find a 1953 Y2 President in absolutely pristine condition.... no replating needed. It's a bit more money than I have saved at the moment but the generous seller agreed to hold it for me until the funds are available. It wasn't listed on his site but he had it squirrelled away and is willing to sell it to me for a bargain price, give its condition....

That should complete my little Vintage razor collection... just sticking my toe in the creek, so to speak.
The president is a nice one to have aesthetically. I got lucky and spent very little for two of them but on one of them nearly all the rhodium of the handle had worn off so I don’t trust the plating on those as much.

24 April

Velvet Mk.I • GSB
Mitchell's Wool Fat • AP400 Slim
IMG_20240422_130503104.jpg

Patented in 1919 and manufactured by Joseph Potter of Birmingham (W.Midlands, not Alabama) during the 1920s. From the early 1930s they went on to produce a variety of lighter weight razors, exclusively for Woolworths, using the Velvet brand name.

The Mark I has an interesting solid grooved baseplate design that was also used by a couple of other manufacturers. It's an aggressive razor that demands care and attention. Not one for a quick run around while half asleep!

Exercising due caution I managed an excellent shave this morning, avoiding any nicks or weepers or irritation for the first time with it. I need to use it more.

Razor: Gillette US Pre-war Fat Handle Tech (41)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Pre-shave: Hot shower; Cereve Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush 26mm
Soap: Van der Hagen Luxury Scented
Aftershave: Cool water rinse; Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close; Very smooth; Pleasant DFS+ shave; On target. The GSB is much smoother than the Astra SP.

Cheers!!!

Top Bottom