IMG_1102.jpeg

18/4/24

Soap - HWF
Brush - Yaqi G4
Razor - Old Type
Razor - Gillette Nacet Stainless (1)
AS - Denim Original

IMG20240418175310.jpg

I read on another forum the newer Gillette PPI blades (post 2020) are not as sharp as ones from previous batches so I got a brand new Nacet from Big Deal Smart, from a 2022 batch with one of my mildest razors, which is not a Gillette branded Old Type but a very old one which I presume was made around the same time as the Gillette ones that look the same. How sharp is a 2022 Nacet? I'd say it's just as sharp as the ones from batches from pre 2016 and some from 2019, but I will give it a few more shaves before drawing a conclusion. The 2022 Nacet was fantastic in this razor, smooth and comfortable, no resistance on any of the passes and it took off a lot of growth even in one of my mildest razors.

I'm really like the Hampshire Wool Fat shaving soap, it's a nice old school tallow lather, produces a slick and glossy lather, leaves my face feeling great at the end of the shave too.

I hold this blade as one of the best modern blades, but it's not as fine a performer as a Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade. I wish I had a few more of those glorious blades! Ah well, I'm happy to have some other great non unobtanium blades nonetheless!

photostudio_1713297880906.jpg

Razor: Gibbs No. 17 Reglable
Blade: Dorco ST300
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

18/4/24

Soap - HWF
Brush - Yaqi G4
Razor - Old Type
Razor - Gillette Nacet Stainless (1)
AS - Denim Original

View attachment 1831629

I read on another forum the newer Gillette PPI blades (post 2020) are not as sharp as ones from previous batches so I got a brand new Nacet from Big Deal Smart, from a 2022 batch with one of my mildest razors, which is not a Gillette branded Old Type but a very old one which I presume was made around the same time as the Gillette ones that look the same. How sharp is a 2022 Nacet? I'd say it's just as sharp as the ones from batches from pre 2016 and some from 2019, but I will give it a few more shaves before drawing a conclusion. The 2022 Nacet was fantastic in this razor, smooth and comfortable, no resistance on any of the passes and it took off a lot of growth even in one of my mildest razors.

I'm really like the Hampshire Wool Fat shaving soap, it's a nice old school tallow lather, produces a slick and glossy lather, leaves my face feeling great at the end of the shave too.

I hold this blade as one of the best modern blades, but it's not as fine a performer as a Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade. I wish I had a few more of those glorious blades! Ah well, I'm happy to have some other great non unobtanium blades
I’ve found the Hampshire Wool Fat soap to be an excellent partner with the vintage razors too.
As you say …an old school tallow lather…..that gloss!! The best shaves for me in Vintage April have all been with this soap and post shave feel is amazing.

I’ve found the Hampshire Wool Fat soap to be an excellent partner with the vintage razors too.
As you say …an old school tallow lather…..that gloss!! The best shaves for me in Vintage April have all been with this soap and post shave feel is amazing.

Exactly! It's really cheap in the UK too, I think about a fiver shipped for the chunk of soap? I've used mine a lot and barely made a dip on the top.

Really easy to get a great lather too, I find it gets whipped up really easily and keeps on taking water to get a really slick shiny glossy lather. I think it produces a lather not a million miles away from Stirling.

It's good stuff for sure!

After the terrible shave and breakage of my razor, I took a couple days to heal my face and went with a razor that as of right now would be my deserted island

Razor:63’ Aristocrat on 7
Blade:personna CC
Soap: Nobel Otter Neon Sun
Brush: Chisel & Hound
Bowl: CaYuen Diablo.

First time using the Neon Sub croap I’m a fan

IMG_0435.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm not quite ready to call this a rabbit hole yet... but perhaps I should just admit it... I'm hoping a shallow one...

After Andrew / @Balin sent me that lovely Canada Pre-war Tech.... I have 3 Vintage razors on the way.

1. Flat Bottom Tech $77.
2. 1934 Short Comb. I have no idea if this is the short comb mentioned earlier in this thread or not or if there are many models of short combs....I sort of leapt before I jumped.
3. Souplex metal.. I don't know how else to describe this one.

That should be enough to quench the thirst, I hope. I haven't used my Y2 birth year/quarter SuperSpeed yet. It might be a nice plan to do a run of Vintage razors... after April is over... since, I'm not how many of the 3 on order will actually make it to our place by the end of the month.

I don't know what other 3 piece Vintage razors should be on a "must have Vintage razors" list.... Probably dozens. <eg>

Edit: It turns out, the Short Comb is a 1934 Red and Black Set.... but there are 3 of them listed on Mr. Razor's site. It does list weights, so I'll try that to identify it that way.

Last edited:
Back after a very busy week, including a visit from my East coast daughter and son in law. Last Saturday I was out of time and resorted to pulling out the Norelco electric as a “touch up” before my real vintage shave in the hotel. That didn’t happen, instead it was a quick shave in the shower with a Gillette disposable. Ironic, I have gone months with only vintage razors, now that it’s Vintage April….
Anyway, I shaved with my vintage Tech on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and today, a rare no shave day on Tuesday. I’ve been getting DFS+ on my old Feather Blade, shave 517.

Gibbs reglable, Rapira Super stainless, yaqi 24mm best badger, Proraso pre shave, PAA Clubguy, Clubman Pinaud.

I've used the Gibbs 3 times this week, all shaves were top notch.
Residual slickness of PAA creams always surprises me, what a cream. Though I dont like the scent, at all. Smells like wet plaster.

full

Date19.04.2024
366 daily shaves
110/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Single RingSilver Star (5)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (92)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Effective Friday shave using one of my oldest razors. Very capable of a close shave. All other actors were playing in unison.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

19 April

Gibbs Micro Réglable (ref.9) • Perma-Sharp
Wickham 1912 Magnum • RazoRock Plissoft
IMG_20240419_061201458.jpg

This late 60s/early 70s Gibbs adjustable - taking regular blades unlike the earlier models - weighs in at a surprisingly hefty 86 grams. It's supremely efficient at the higher settings - I use it at a maximum 6 for the first pass and then 5 for whatever is left after (which isn't much!).

Absolutely gorgeous close, comfortable, smooth shave this morning.

Top Bottom