What's new

Vintage April, 2024

Wednesday 17th of Vintage April….
IMG_6988.jpeg

7 O’ Clock OC razor , Perma Sharp blade, The Duke in best badger and Hampshire wool fat soap…becoming a favourite of mine with a super slick and smooth feel.
A 10/10 today but not much regrowth after Red Tip Tuesday…that was a super close shave indeed.
The 7 O’Clock is such a great razor as it gets really close but without irritation. Always a pleasure with this one.

Tuesday 4/16

Razor - Ball End Tech
Blade - Schick Krona Comfort Edge (2)
Brush - Semogue Pegasus C7 Boar
Soap - Ariana & Evans Asian Plum
After Shave - B&M Passiflora
After Shave Balm - Hada Labo Gokujun Premium
Fragrance - Stirling Island Man

Wednesday 4/17

Razor - Flat Bottom Tech
Blade - Gillette Spoiler
Brush - Semogue TSN The Final Edition / Finest Badger
Soap - Ariana & Evans Asian Plum
After Shave - B&M Passiflora
After Shave Balm - Hada Labo Gokujun Premium
Fragrance - Acqua di Gio EDP

IMG_1098.jpeg

20240416_081629.jpg

Razor: Ronson Shaves and Sharpens
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Paladin Eldorado Graphite
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Zingari Man Rogue
Aftershave: Zingari Man Rogue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

It looks clumsy, but shaves like a dream!

Well, I got a little bored and just decided to drag a finger nail on the discoloration on knurling of the Toggle i posted/used earlier today and wouldn't you know, it all came off. Due to the nature of the razor I did not scrub it as vigorously as I generally do and figured the discoloration was something I was going to have to live with. Looks so much nicer now.
Before
View attachment 1830748
After some thumbnail action
View attachment 1830749

It looks great. That may have been some of the old lacquer flaking off of the gold plating.

I started walking along the slippery creek bed of Vintage razors over the past week.... Well, a bit before that, I guess, since I bought a Canada Tech is such poor condition, I'm going to have to scrap it a few weeks ago now.@Balin generously sent me a replacement. I'll use the cute little Bakelite box that came with that first Canada Tech and I might keep the head, as it's stripped down to the brass but doesn't appear to be damaged beyond that.

i added a Flat Bottom Tech #77 the other day and it should show up in the next couple weeks. I also won an eBay auction for a Souplex metal razor. That one might be more than my face can handle, but we'll see.

If I am going to fall into the creek... or skip into the rabbit hole, which 3 piece Gillette Vintage razors should I add? I like the change up the handles so the two piece or TTO models hold less interest for me.... Though I do admit, I've been looking for a 1953 Y2 Gillette President, as that is one of my birth year/quarter razors. i already have the Y2 SuperSpeed. So far, I haven't found a President, though some sold recently did come up during that search...They can get a bit pricey, it seems.

I've read the Gillette Short Combs are a bit better than the Long Combs.. Is this accurate?
LC vs SC is very ymmv... I much prefer the LC over the SC. But they are both excellent and really can't go wrong either way.

Date17.04.2024
366 daily shaves
108/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW SCSilver Star (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (90)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A very fine and close shave with the Short Comb. Marvellous lather using Andrew’s @apshaveco Synbad knot.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Went all vintage (minus the Astra) and all I can say to describe todays shave is sublime pampering. It was just phenomenal all around. Used a Pre-war Black & Gold Tech with an Astra sp, NOS Fuller Badger brush with a 1970's Old Spice mug with original unused puck. Followed by some late 1960's Old Spice Lime.
1713387188778.png

Razor: US Gillette NEW Short Comb c. 1934
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (Russia)
Brush: Wilko Synthetic Wonder
Soap: Hampshire Lanolin No.1 Wool Fat Shaving Soap
AS Balm: Nivea Protect And Care
IMG_20240417_210148781.jpg

Sorry for absence! April has been more busy than expected so far.

I really am developing a soft spot for the NEW SC. I find it shaves differently from the LC. Slightly more efficient but oddly milder. Subtle stuff.

Anyways, got an excellent lather going with the excellent Hampshire Lanolin No.1 shaving soap, full of good things. It's nice to see it being used by a few Gents this month.

A nice standard drama-free 3 passer on a 2.5 day stubble. Excellent result which should do for a good 24 hours.

Strange about the SC and LC variants. Were they sold as specific models or were they choices of the specific sets, i.e A Bostonian NEW LC or SC? Was the SC superceded by the LC in the popularity stakes I wonder. They do seem scarcer.

Great vintages and some rare birds turning up!

Fascinating that we are so much apart as we are together. We seemed to have been using the Short Comb simultaneously across the world at least. Don’t you just love universal energy?!

I agree with Simon that the SC appears to be scarcer than the LC. It was also in a shorter production timeframe I think, so what did Gillette made to move to the LC and TTO models?

1713395516962.gif

Top Bottom