What's new

Vintage and unusual aftershaves: Post your photos

proxy.php

Aloe vera gel. Not marketed as after shaves, but skin protection and repair. My favorite is the one in the middle.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
A Gift From Your Barber
Small 1.5 Ounce Glass bottle.

$IMG_3970.JPG (2).jpg

No ingredients list.

I paid 7 dollars with shipping, about the same as a large bottle from Sally's. But I liked the bottle. :001_cool:

Here is a little on La-Mo Velv, via google books. The shaving cream was trademarked 1932. The AS was listed at $1 for 4-oz in a 1954 American Druggist. My guess is your bottle is relatively late, because label includes volume and a partial ingredients list. That sort of thing first became a federal regulation in mid-1967, but manufacturers were free to label their products before that year.

$001.jpg
This is a bottle of King's Men After Shave that I scored off the bay. This was one of the aftershaves my Grandpop use to wear.
I remember him saving the caps off the bottle for me. Still has a spicy scent.

$image-2.jpeg

Found this charming little giftset and got a great deal on it! The cologne is shot, but the AS was brand new and still sealed. It works amazing, smells fantastic and between this and the English Lavender they have become my favorite indulgence!

The label states cologne, but I'll stick it here anyways. It has that urinal cake smell to it - Jasmin. Reminds me of the Veg. I do wonder how old it is? Any ideas?

The one thing that I am sure of, it's a cool bottle!

Why does it say "Property Of"? Also notice the bubbles in the glass.

tiny little metal cap. leaks a bit

-jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted in elsewhere but didn't realise there was a vintage thread so here's some vintage Aqua Velva I picked up today

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's a question: Do any of these vintage scents have "confirmation of approval" by the fairer sex? For example, can anyone state (and let's be truthful) - "When I wear xxxx, I receive compliments" or "XXX seems to have quite the effect on my girlfriend/wife" ?

Whoops! Forgot to post my contribution - found in Dad's basement - 3 brand new ones, full!! Knowing my Dad, they have probably been there since 1967..LOL

$P1000859.jpg

Here's a question: Do any of these vintage scents have "confirmation of approval" by the fairer sex? For example, can anyone state (and let's be truthful) - "When I wear xxxx, I receive compliments" or "XXX seems to have quite the effect on my girlfriend/wife" ?

Sounds to be the ultimate YMMV question...The scent you give off mostly comes down to body chemistry (how your oils and hormones react with the splash/balm), which is inherently yours and no one else's. THEN, there's the other person's smell-interpretation of the scent you are giving off, which is full of their own chemical quirks. With aftershaves in general, do it for yourself and protecting your face, not for someone else. The only caveats would be if the person you're living with is repulsed/allergic to what you're wearing, or if your work-place has a strict "no-scent" policy.

From my own experience, my wife actually prefers my own natural man-musk over any AS or cologne I've tried...go figure...

Nice find on the Yardley powder btw!

Thanks! I also found a new box of Yardley Black Label powder as well - very funny marking on the box - it says "1/4 Dozen" containers on the inside, instead of just saying "3"...those Brits...always so formal!

Sounds to be the ultimate YMMV question...The scent you give off mostly comes down to body chemistry (how your oils and hormones react with the splash/balm), which is inherently yours and no one else's. THEN, there's the other person's smell-interpretation of the scent you are giving off, which is full of their own chemical quirks. With aftershaves in general, do it for yourself and protecting your face, not for someone else. The only caveats would be if the person you're living with is repulsed/allergic to what you're wearing, or if your work-place has a strict "no-scent" policy.

From my own experience, my wife actually prefers my own natural man-musk over any AS or cologne I've tried...go figure...

Nice find on the Yardley powder btw!

I also didn't realize there was a tread for this. Here is my little collection. The 4711 bottles have real vintage stuff in them. The larger one is unopened, the smaller one I use. The talc is nearly full and usable as well. Tried it but I don't get it. Maybe in the summertime in the days before AC. The Veg has real but not vintage product. The Yellow York Drug Bay Rum has Masters in it, and the other Bay Rum (Walgreens) is waiting for something else.

$SANY0075.jpg

I have had so much fun going over this thread the last few days. I see a lot of stuff that I don't remember ever seeing, and then I see stuff that I haven't seen in years! It has really brought back some good memories. I remember when I was a kid, about 8, I started getting aftershave from a few of my aunts and uncles on Christmas. lol

I always wondered if they really thought I shaved at that age. Every year I would get the ubiquitous English Leather. Then there was also the Avon stuff, I recall having the snowmobile, the Volkswagen Beetle, and one or two others.

Anyway, this is such a fun thread. I will contribute in hopes that my pic brings back some good memories for others on down the road. :)

$P4100050.jpg$P4100053.jpg$P4100054.jpg

The first is my current shaving routine, my favorite OS mug, some generic brush which works good, but still want to upgrade to a boar brush one of these days. And my Gillette Slim, I believe a '66 3rd quarter, which I've had ever since I started shaving... probably an early gift from one of my dear aunts or uncles.

The second picture is a left hand Skin Bracer bottle, an 8oz. bottle of Skin Bracer, a bottle of Brut and my Barbicide bottle to hold my scissors and combs. Oh and the dog... picked him up at an art show from a young carver.

The third picture is a conglomeration of stuff under my vanity... a right hand Skin Bracer bottle (empty, need to get some other scent of Skin Bracer and fill that bad boy), three OS decanters (scrimshaw, telescope, and lighthouse), several bottles of Hai Karate (can't stop myself from picking them up when I see them, lol), regular Skin Bracer, Skin Bracer Dry Lime, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, and Aqua Velva Ice Blue fishing reel... maybe another item or two that I missed.

Things not pictured are several bottles of Old Spice and an Old Spice talc bottle... can't hardly pass up old bottles of Old Spice either. So there you have it. Also had to pick up one of those Avon VW's after seeing them on here, reminds me of good days gone by.

Jack

Last edited:
Top Bottom