What's new

Various restorations

R

romsitsa

Not exactly a razor, but a 50 blade box from 1928-29. The paper ribbon and diamond are usually worn away, so this is in very good condition even with half of the “rainbow” missing.
Plain paper painted with acrylics, weathered with oils to match its tones to the original.
Next comes the interior and boxes.
805A8AB3-4326-4A5D-987A-15C2C5BE43AB.jpeg
E2ED8BEB-DAEF-4273-864D-709C2300EB2B.jpeg
4B5AE613-F9FA-45B5-B613-5271B8DC9A8F.jpeg
883D3FFF-1B26-4CF0-86CB-D020692BCB0D.jpeg

Yes, if you have time I would like to know this too please. I have often thought of using one of those small portable vacuum cleaners that are designed to clean computer keyboards but have always been concerned that it might damage the cloth lining, especially the softer velvet ones.
I hope OP doesn't mind me chiming on cleaning out old dust and debris. I use a small/short soft paint brush to gently release the dirt and then blow it out with a straw. I have tried an old toothbrush but the bristles are too stiff imo and can easily damage the time worn fabric, particularly the applied lettering. I learned the hard way not to touch lettering and painted on logo. Tape can lift material with the dirt so I avoid it. One of those tiny vacuums for keyboards should work once the debris is loosened.

R

romsitsa

New improveds and rotted Gillette adjustables are a hit or miss.
Palmera used or copied several manufacturers, this one looks like a Radimi (handle is identical to the Italicus).

Not exactly a razor, but a 50 blade box from 1928-29.

Sorry to harp on about this box, but I've never seen one of these boxes before this example with it's restoration details was posted on here.... and other than some vintage adverts for the original product there doesn't seem to be much information about these Gillette 50 gift packs posted online. At least, none that i could find. Are they quite rare?

Does anyone have a link to more detail about them?

What is the box itself made from? Is it card, bakelite or metal? And it's lined with some sort of fabric?

@romsitsa Your restoration work is absolutely incredible. You are very gifted to be able to bring these old objects back to life. And the repair and replacement of missing teeth on the Palmera is absolutely next level! Do you have some professional training in this area ie silversmith, carpenter, machinist?

Please keep inspiring us with more examples of your work!

R

romsitsa

Do you have some professional training in this area ie silversmith, carpenter, machinist?

Please keep inspiring us with more examples of your work!

Thank you. I am a professional in reputation management, but I prefer anything "old" so had to learn how to restore things. And 20+ years of scale modelling experience also helps a lot :)

The 50 boxes are not that rare, but finding one in decent condition can take time, as these were not made to last.

Hey Adam

Is it possible to replate tarnished metal cases. Maybe the better choice of words is practical to replate tarnished metal cases

R

romsitsa

Anything brass can be plated if the tank is big enough (the shop where I used to go once silver plated a life sized dove). From the financial aspect a case requires roughly 3-4 times more material than a razor.

Top Bottom