What's new

Various restorations

I think this is the actual Skivertex web site:

Decided to try my hand with some cheap sticky felt in a couple of Red & Black sets. Seems accurate and nice.
IMG_5036.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is it possible to restore the gold fleur de lis on the lid of a Gillette Diplomat case?
The over 20 small ones on the top? Careful cleaning but I doubt they will ever look gold again.
Mine are brown but look OK with even patina.

Is it possible to restore the gold fleur de lis on the lid of a Gillette Diplomat case?
I've never tried it but if I did I would use a free standing lighted magnifier, a tiny detail paintbrush, some gold leaf, and some thin adhesive. I would carefully paint the adhesive onto the existing fleur de lis, then apply the gold foil onto it. Let dry, then gently brush the excess gold foil off. It would be a very tedious, delicate operation but the result could be a perfect restoration.

The interior is mint. That’s the only reason to contemplate this. I once restored the case of a Hickcock, 6000 vacuum tube tester. The case was made of wood and covered in a dark red Tolex type material that you would see on a guitar amp. That entailed removing the old pieces and laying them aside as a pattern to use to cut the new material, sanding the case, and using the adhesive to attach the new material. Once that was done I replaced the latches and handle

The interior is mint. That’s the only reason to contemplate this. I once restored the case of a Hickcock, 6000 vacuum tube tester. The case was made of wood and covered in a dark red Tolex type material that you would see on a guitar amp. That entailed removing the old pieces and laying them aside as a pattern to use to cut the new material, sanding the case, and using the adhesive to attach the new material. Once that was done I replaced the latches and handle
After pondering it for a awhile another method would be to cut a tiny stencil that can be positioned over the symbol, then you could use the tiny paintbrush and gold paint, apply adhesive and gold flake, or even airbrush gold, also using the stencil. Rather than try to apply adhesive freehand to each location the stencil makes more sense come to think of it. Cutting the stencil could be tricky though. You may be able to send an image file and measurements to have a stencil made online. If you decide to restore the symbols by all means post the process. Don't forget before and after pics.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
After pondering it for a awhile another method would be to cut a tiny stencil that can be positioned over the symbol, then you could use the tiny paintbrush and gold paint, apply adhesive and gold flake, or even airbrush gold, also using the stencil. Rather than try to apply adhesive freehand to each location the stencil makes more sense come to think of it. Cutting the stencil could be tricky though. You may be able to send an image file and measurements to have a stencil made online. If you decide to restore the symbols by all means post the process. Don't forget before and after pics.
If you're willing to have a stencil made, though it might cost a bit more - it might be easier to either 3D print or have a stamp made of the entire lid pattern. A dip of the stamp in gold ink/paint and a press on the lid and you're good to go.

Top Bottom