What's new

Underrated and Hidden Gem Soaps

After my shave today I'll also throw in Meißner Tremonia. It's hard soaps don't get nearly enough love in my opinion, their post shave feel in particular is hard to beat. The soaps are all handmade in traditional copper kettles and left to harden naturally by evaporation as opposed to being milled; they only use essential oils for scents and they jar in lilac glass jars which filters out ultraviolet light and helps preserve the soap.
Thanks for the tip. I was a bit torn between Salty Sea Sage, Dark Lime and Warm Woods. I eventually went with the Warm Woods hard soap. I’ve heard good things about this one and am looking forward to trying it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been using Canada Shaving Soap since I burned my face with the Bannister Mann Passiflora soap. It really is unfortunate the soap doesn't work for my skin... the shave itself was very nice.

I don't know if Canada Shaving Soap is a hidden gem... but it lathers instantly and works well with the Baume.be Pre-shave I'm using. And best of all, my skin doesn't react to it.

I plan to rotate the Baume.be shaving cream back in soon. Now, that one might qualify for this thread.... it's lovely.

Another one I'd like to add to the list is Benessere Naturale Saponificio Annamaria. I'm currently using the Aura scent (lemon, lavender and menthol).

It's an Italian croap but I rarely if ever see it mentioned on B&B. I bought it on a clearance sale as a punt but it is excellent. Similar in performance to other Italian croaps (Vitos, Cella etc) but with different scent options.

Screenshot_20230331_103037_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230331_103051_Chrome.jpg

Sego Lily - local gal who makes an amazing shave soap that very much reminds me of barrister's reserve base. I can never decide whether I prefer Sego Lily or Omnibus more as my favorite base.

Adagio Road - tallow sheep milk pucks for $4.99 but don't let the price fool you... excellent stuff.

Last edited:
Sego Lily - local gal who makes an amazing shave soap that very much reminds me of barrister's reserve base. I can never decide whether I prefer Sego Lily or Omnibus more as my favorite base.

Adagio Road - tallow sheep milk pucks for $4.99 but don't let the price fool you... excellent stuff.

interesting!

But what is local? Or more specific, is it available in the EU?

Saponificio Bignoli - not exactly new, but somewhat shadowed by bunch of other Italian soaps like Extro Cosmesi. I have their tallow based formula Antica Ricceta which is just superb soap in every acpect. They also have vegan line which I didn't tried yet.
Lothur
Wickham
Pinnacle Grooming
Lea shaving puck (just beautiful, with beautiful sandalwood and mint scent)
Cyril R Salter puck (great soap, almost superb and it cost like 5-6 euros for a 100g hard puck which should last ages)
Palmolive shaving cream - menthol version
Speick shaving cream - great in every possible way and it cost like 3-4 euros

There also bunch of great local options like Palmira, Dendi, Vreto from Serbia, TDS from Belarus and many others which are pretty obscure outside their countries. Pretty much every country in Europe have at least one artisan soap which are as good or better than all artisans from USA.

I think Sudsy Soapery is massively underrated. If you prefer scents composed of essential oils and you are on a budget, this is a marvelous option, and they have dozens of scents to choose from. Their Twisted Rose (highly mentholated geranium scent) is a go to for summer. Their balms are also the best I have tried (although they are frequently out of stock).

interesting!

But what is local? Or more specific, is it available in the EU?
Sego Lily is a lady who has a brick and mortar in Utah, where I used to live. So local as in driving distance. I'll call her to make sure, but I doubt you'd be able to conveniently get any overseas, which is damn unfortunate because if maggards sold her soaps, and people, therefore, had wide access, I'm confident she would often be mentioned in the same lists as Stirling, Shannon's and Mike's. I think I paid $9.99 for 4.5 oz pucks? Like I said earlier , a serious contender for my all time favorite soap despite the price. Really heavy, shiny, glossy lather and I like the ingredient list a lot:
Tallow, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Kokum Butter, Shea Butter Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Lanolin, Fragrance Oil

Adagio Road has a website and should be accessible to non-CONUS. I don't know where they're HQed or local to. I don't like their soaps quite as much as Sego Lily, but they're still very good soap and the price to performance is just awesome. Despite being $4.99 a puck it can hold it's own against the double digits prices soaps. I'll never buy Arko again because of this soap. They have two bases:

Kokum tallow base

Ingredients: Saponified (Potassium & sodium hydroxides) Stearic acid, Beef Tallow, Coconut oil (Cocos nucifera), Kokum butter (Garcinia indica seed), Babassu oil (Orbignya oleifera seed), Organic shea butter (Butyrospermum parkii), Castor (Ricinus communis). With goat's milk, essential oils blend (EO/FO), bentonite clay, sodium lactate and ROE (rosemary oleoresin extract- an antioxidant)

"Bah" (their Lamb tallow+Sheep Milk base)

Ingredients: Saponified Stearic acid, Lamb Tallow, Kokum butter (Garcinia indica seed),Unrefined Organic Shea butter (Butyrospermum parkii),Castor (Ricinus communis), Babassu oil (Orbignya oleifera seed), Lanolin. With goat's milk, essential oils blend (EO/FO), bentonite clay, sodium lactate and ROE (rosemary oleoresin extract- an antioxidant).

Top Bottom