What's new

UK vs American Artisan Shave Soaps?

I've really been enjoying the shaves I get with the tallow-based American Artisan Shave soaps (Mikes, MW, Stirling). It seems to me that many of the people who are fairly new to wet shaving (myself included) tend to gravitate towards these American artisan soaps, while those who have been shaving longer prefer the shave soaps from the UK (probably since they've been around longer).

Not trying to start a war here, but my question is, am I missing out? Would love to hear some input from people who have used both extensively, i.e. how they compare.

The British soaps all have great names in wet shaving but many of them reformulated their products straight into the crapper. Trumpers and Penhaligons went from great performing tallow based soaps to veggie based junk.

In the history of shaving soap reformulations, the soaps that got better after switching from tallow = 0.

I dont really read up to see where my soaps or creams come from. If they're good thats all that counts for me. I seem to have German, Italian, US, UK and turkish soaps 'n' creams in the den.

Neither do I! Just curious if its worth the extra $$ to try some of the English tallow shave soaps.

I dont really read up to see where my soaps or creams come from. If they're good thats all that counts for me. I seem to have German, Italian, US, UK and turkish soaps 'n' creams in the den.

Neither do I! Just curious if its worth the extra $$ to try some of the English tallow shave soaps.

In my opinion, no it isn't 'worth the extra $$', however many things we do in the world of wet-shaving aren't necessarily cost-efficient!

In terms of performance/price amongst the 'artisan' soaps, Mike's is hard to beat.

The only English shave soap I own so far is D.R. Harris Arlington, and it really is an excellent soap. I also tried The Fat, and it was a good soap, too, though Mike's fills that niche for me now.

Go one step further - try UK artisan soaps. :)

My favorite hard soap is French, however, and my favorite croaps are split between American artisan soap (Mystic) and Italian.

Yes, curious about the French soap!

I love the Italian croaps/hard soaps as well (have 4 or so, mostly Razorock).

I've used Pre de Provence, Provence Sante, Institute Karite and Cade. Provence Sante Green Tea is my favourite French soap.

Back on the subject! if you like variety, you have no excuse not to try British soaps. You should decide wether you like them yourself. I don't think there's anything to complain from D.R. Harris all scents and MWF soaps.

I should probably have been more clear that not all the British brands reformulated into junk.
I own all 5 flavors of D.R. Harris* and MWF is a quirky but great soap.

With that being said, you're not missing much with great artisan made soaps like Mike's & Mystic Waters. I haven't tried Stirling myself.

*Some say Harris was even better in their last formula.

It is really quite subjective as you may find that you really like the British soaps.
Personally, i much prefer Mike's and Mystic Water as they are just as good, or better, easier on the ingredients and cheaer than their British counterparts.
Good luck.

If it is DR Harris, which is triple milled, I doubt it is extra money. A $16 puck will last a long time.

Very true. My brushes eat Mike's Natural Soaps much quicker than my Dr Harris pucks. It's almost a wash, but the edge goes to DRH wrt to longevity. Both soaps are great though, imo.

D.R. Harris is actually what motivated me to start this thread, seems like a really nice soap from what I've read.

On the Stirling Soaps, recommend trying the Naked & Smooth, seems to be the winner of his line-up from what I've read (have some on order).

Top Bottom