Simpson Trafalgar 2
One Blade Synth
Plissoft (from Plisson)
Razorock something or other 400 with the black knot
3 different PAA brushes
Supply Synth
Shavemac Synth
Muhle STF

I strongly favor the Muhle, thought the Shavemac could be very good if I had made different choices in loft and whatnot - now that I understand that fiber, I could build a much better brush than I did with their selector and I might.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am rapidly becoming a (fan) of fan shaped knots and losing interest in the bulb shapes. Is there anyone on this thread that prefers a bulb shape...and why? I am curious.
Me. I like a bulb better. It lathers more efficiently for me than a fan. I like the way it splays better. I do have a couple of fans for variety though.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Me. I like a bulb better. It lathers more efficiently for me than a fan. I like the way it splays better. I do have a couple of fans for variety though.
I think my favorite would be a flat top without too much back bone. I have a Shavemac Flattop in D01. I would do a longer loft with it than I did or a different hair entirely. I have no complaints with the quality, just my choices.

Thanks for the reply.
I really am trying to appreciate bulb knots. I think maybe they would work better for me if I had a larger size knot than the Simpson Emperor and Shavemac Beagle.

I have used the following:
Simpson Chubby 2
Simpson Trafalgar 2
One Blade Synth
Plissoft (from Plisson)
Razorock something or other 400 with the black knot
3 different PAA brushes
Supply Synth
Shavemac Synth
Muhle STF

I strongly favor the Muhle, thought the Shavemac could be very good if I had made different choices in loft and whatnot - now that I understand that fiber, I could build a much better brush than I did with their selector and I might.
What would your settings be for a Shavemac synth and how would the brush behave after it (backbone, splay) ? Just curios.

OTOH, poking around some more, there are STFs at 23, 21, and even 19mm. Definitely curious to get comparisons between some of these brushes from people who own more than 1.
From what I've read in the past couple years the smaller STF diameters don't garner the rave reviews that the 25mm knot does. I believe its the diameter/loft ratio that makes the biggest difference.

I personally have never used the STF fibre brushes because I prefer a fan or hybrid fan over the bulb version that the STF is offered in. To me the fan knots splay easier than bulbs and being a 100% face latherer this is fan is better to me. If they ever decide to do a fan version I would probably be the 1st in line to pick one up. I would also require to purchase the knot separately to assemble my own brush which I believe nobody sells the knot only!!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Unless you consider the spousal “you already have enough” veto to be a vote

That’s the most important vote.

You can tell by how many fellow possessions junkies (of which I’m one) futilely try to override the veto by inventorying spousal accoutrements.

In the end, the stuff is just a lump of atoms that causes a few happy chemicals to cascade for a few moments. Even if we’re talking my drug of choice: synthetic bristle shaving brushes.

From what I've read in the past couple years the smaller STF diameters don't garner the rave reviews that the 25mm knot does. I believe its the diameter/loft ratio that makes the biggest difference.
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that, but I hadn't looked either. I'd probably gravitate toward a 21 or 23mm, so I'll keep that in mind if I start looking seriously at a STF.

I personally have never used the STF fibre brushes because I prefer a fan or hybrid fan over the bulb version that the STF is offered in. To me the fan knots splay easier than bulbs and being a 100% face latherer this is fan is better to me. If they ever decide to do a fan version I would probably be the 1st in line to pick one up. I would also require to purchase the knot separately to assemble my own brush which I believe nobody sells the knot only!!
I'm 100% face latherer and also am starting to lean toward fans. I haven't seen STF knots available for purchase separately, but a few people on the previous page have indicated that Rudy Vey uses them, so I guess he has a source!

But in any case, AFAICT the G5C is the only knot that I mentioned in my OP that's available as a fan, though a couple other fans have been mentioned as very good as well (BOSS, Synbad,...). I haven't read anything yet to convince me that another knot is so much better than G5C that I'd prefer it in bulb form over a G5C.

I went ahead and shot some photos of my STF 23mm next to my G5C. It's 24mm at the exit vs 27mm and I think that's visible! This gives an idea of the shape and splay. I don't enjoy this for face lathering, but now that I have my G5C, I find that I enjoy my RV more for what I originally bought it for(bowl lathering).

full
full

Out of 25+ brushes purchased since I joined in 2009, only 3 have been synths. The first synth I bought in 2015 from a vendor here. I didn't like it and PIF'd it to another member in 2017, after using it only 3 times. I even lent it to my son-in-law and he didn't want it either. My second synth I bought from another vendor in 2017, who told me that unlike the first, theirs was softer. Yeah, soft like a porcupine. I wouldn't even PIF that one and used it as a keyboard cleaner until it was lost in a move.

My 3rd synth purchase was a Plissoft 24mm in a chrome handle that I bought in 2018 for $20 (plus shipping) from Italian Barber. While I'm not about to give away my ($100-165) 2 band Thater and Shavemac badger brushes, I couldn't ask for a better synth knot. It's soft but lathers soaps really well. It's my go-to brush for older, discontinued, tallow or melt & pour soaps, where I want a good lather without sacrificing a lot of soap using a 2-band.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
For bowl lathering, most synthetic brushes do, at least, an adequate job. So, if you're bowl lathering and face painting, the synthetic bang for the buck can't be beat. I've never face lathered, so I couldn't say how they compare with a boar or a badger in that category. Early on in my wet shaving journey, I bought an inexpensive Parker badger brush...$25. It was fine until my Airedale puppy got a hold of it. But of all the synthetic brushes I own, the one that comes closest to that Parker from a look and feel perspective are my AP Shave Co G5A brushes. I have a number of them and they all excel at bowl lathering and face painting.

Honestly, I never could get into the whole expensive brush scene...which is probably why I have a collection of synthetics. Who knows...maybe someday I'll break down and buy that Omega Evo 2 brush. 😆

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
What would your settings be for a Shavemac synth and how would the brush behave after it (backbone, splay) ? Just curios.
I went 24mm bulb and minus 2 mm on the hair length.

Were I to do over I'd do 24mm Fan and plus 2mm on the hair length and I think I'd see if they could do plus 4mm (configurator only allows +2). The knots are just to dense for the length of hair for my taste. The Shavemac knots are not as stiff as the Simpson synths, but they are too stiff for me. The Muhle density is much more too my taste.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The larger size is beginning to make more sense to me. Thanks
Plenty of nice 22 mm natural fiber brushes out there, but I think very few synths in that size. I think the fibers are not correct for building that size yet.

My Muhle STF is the large 25mm and I'd prefer a 23mm. I think Muhle's loft is too long. When on the face the brush is huge, BUT, I'm afraid if they were to shorten the fibers it won't open up the same any longer and I would not like that either.

I truly think my main problem is synthetic fibers don't behave like a natural fiber and I like natural fiber.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For bowl lathering, most synthetic brushes do, at least, an adequate job. So, if you're bowl lathering and face painting, the synthetic bang for the buck can't be beat. I've never face lathered, so I couldn't say how they compare with a boar or a badger in that category. Early on in my wet shaving journey, I bought an inexpensive Parker badger brush...$25. It was fine until my Airedale puppy got a hold of it. But of all the synthetic brushes I own, the one that comes closest to that Parker from a look and feel perspective are my AP Shave Co G5A brushes. I have a number of them and they all excel at bowl lathering and face painting.

Honestly, I never could get into the whole expensive brush scene...which is probably why I have a collection of synthetics. Who knows...maybe

someday I'll break down and buy that Omega Evo 2 brush. 😆
For the price of the Evo 2.0, you can buy a Zenith Manchurian M23
with a 506 handle.

Zenith BadgerResize.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
@T Bone - If you want to get your feet wet in the wide world of synthetic brushes without breaking your budget, here are 5 brushes that are pretty darn good for the money:
View attachment 1498514
Left to right:
AP Shave Co 24 mm Cashmere
RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD
Turn 'N Shave Chess 24mm BOSS
AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald 24mm Synbad
PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid

If memory serves, none of these brushes are over US$20.

The Cashmere will be the softest and have the least backbone. The BOSS will have the most.

Of these five brushes, I use the AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald 24mm Synbad and the RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD the most.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for your post. I just ordered the RazoRock and Turn 'n Shave brushes! That Turn n' Shave will be my first BOSS knot.

Top Bottom