What's new

Trying out Derby Extra with newly acquired razors

Glad Derbys worked out for you! For me they are mediocre at best. Just shows YMMV!

I think one can make peace with Derby, while still regarding them as mediocre. :001_tongu I developed a dedicated "Derby technique and prep" for being able to use them effectively. They are still my worst blade for that. But, let's say that now that i can at least use them, they are much closer to my 2nd worst blade, the Supermax super stainless. The Supermax is sharper, but it has a sort of rough glide. The Derby is duller, but it's so dull, that is very smooth and glides easily, once you use the "Derby technique" to avoid the tugging propensity.

I find that all blades, have their uses at the end. You had a weeper or nick last time or you want to shave ultrafast and don't care about BBS? Load a dull blade. The not as close of a shave, will avoid any new weepers, heal your skin and you can do that fast. You want to chase BBS and shave at a normal pace? Load a sharp blade and take your time...

Plus, shaving with your worst blades, makes you appreciate next time, all your better blades more. Because if you shave every time with your favourite blade, the blade itself loses its magic. It's like eating everyday your favourite dish. How can it remain your favourite if you eat only that every day?! :001_smile

I think one can make peace with Derby, while still regarding them as mediocre. :001_tongu I developed a dedicated "Derby technique and prep" for being able to use them effectively. They are still my worst blade for that. But, let's say that now that i can at least use them, they are much closer to my 2nd worst blade, the Supermax super stainless. The Supermax is sharper, but it has a sort of rough glide. The Derby is duller, but it's so dull, that is very smooth and glides easily, once you use the "Derby technique" to avoid the tugging propensity.

I find that all blades, have their uses at the end. You had a weeper or nick last time or you want to shave ultrafast and don't care about BBS? Load a dull blade. The not as close of a shave, will avoid any new weepers, heal your skin and you can do that fast. You want to chase BBS and shave at a normal pace? Load a sharp blade and take your time...

Plus, shaving with your worst blades, makes you appreciate next time, all your better blades more. Because if you shave every time with your favourite blade, the blade itself loses its magic. It's like eating everyday your favourite dish. How can it remain your favourite if you eat only that every day?! :001_smile

Interesting approach!

For me the answer is to have a rotation of top-tier blades that are all fine.

In terms of food, the analogy would be to pick something to eat from among your list of favorite dishes rather than picking something that is, "edible." YMMV for sure!

Congrats! Making peace with Derby does call for celebration! :thumbup:
Glad Derbys worked out for you! For me they are mediocre at best. Just shows YMMV!

Thank you both!
I've been looking at the l'orange for a while, and now was the time to push the button and order it. Won't have money tho to order any more blades this month.
Damn you B&B, and de-shaving, I've spent more than 10 times of what I planned to do! Switching to de was supposed to save money. But what the heck, it's fun so it's worth every penny :001_tt1:

Interesting approach!

For me the answer is to have a rotation of top-tier blades that are all fine.

In terms of food, the analogy would be to pick something to eat from among your list of favorite dishes rather than picking something that is, "edible." YMMV for sure!

I understand your reasoning, but i see the blade variety, the most interesting and challenging part in DE shaving. The "top" blades, are very similar in behaviour with each other. The lower blades are those that are behaving more differently and are those that will keep your skills sharpened more. The way i see it, if you can shave well with your worst blades, then you will arrive to perfection with your easiest blades. Or to make another example. When i first learnt driving, with manual gear box, i soon found myself very comfortable. Until i started going uphill. So then, i started going on purpose on mountain roads, with traffic and steep corners. I improved much quicker than driving on flat terrain. I am trying to do something similar in shaving.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Oh yes, i remember you saying this before! However, having only 2 razor types (plus the Wilki classic), i can't test this theory. Maybe you should open a new thread, so that people with many razors, including rigid types, could do tests and see if they have the same results. It would be most interesting!

There is quite a lot of information regarding rigid razors ect. Just do a search for "rigid" in the DE razor forum. I learned most from reading the posts by rabidus, understanding the concept by looking at razor designs and how they hold the blade and then testing it myself. You can also search members posts and threads started by the member via their profile.

You can read this thread I started after such an experiment and how a Derby Extra with 4 shaves on it in a more rigid design, out performed a fresh Polsilver SI in a less rigid design, even after shimming the Polsilver in the Gillette LC. I might add that all of my Derby Extra blades are the "old" style. The new ones must be fantastic! lol

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

The information is out there, you just need to look for it. Everyone may not need a rigid razor, but speaking only for myself, to get a BBS shave over the two trouble spots on my neck, I need a rigid design. If I, or anyone else would be satisfied with a DFS and not BBS, it wouldnt matter.

I feel that if anyone has issues with shaving ATG, a more rigid design will help.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Interesting. I never gave much thought to rigidity. Personally, I love both Feathers in a mild razor like a late 1940's Tech and Derbys in aggressive razors like the V3A and a Fendrihan MK II.

Oh yes, a Feather or similarly sharp blade in a Tech is a wonder thing. The milder razors I have, as a rule, get the sharper blades. A Feather or Polsilver in my post war Tech or Lady Gillette which is also very mild, Polsilver in my Rocket which is slightly more aggressive than the Tech. A Feather in my Rocket is just a bit too close a shave. Polsilver or anything else in my NEW SC.

When I'm testing a new blade it usually goes in the Tech first. If I find it's cutting ability weaker, it might go in my Rocket, or more likely the NEW SC, which I find quite aggressive but very smooth, I believe because of the base plate design which is very similar to the Gillette OLD type. The NEW SC has been referred to as "An OLD type with blade gap" which is pretty accurate.

I have so many blades in my box to test Derby have taken a back seat for the time being.

IMG_1314.JPG

Oh yes, a Feather or similarly sharp blade in a Tech is a wonder thing. The milder razors I have, as a rule, get the sharper blades. A Feather or Polsilver in my post war Tech or Lady Gillette which is also very mild, Polsilver in my Rocket which is slightly more aggressive than the Tech. A Feather in my Rocket is just a bit too close a shave. Polsilver or anything else in my NEW SC.

When I'm testing a new blade it usually goes in the Tech first. If I find it's cutting ability weaker, it might go in my Rocket, or more likely the NEW SC, which I find quite aggressive but very smooth, I believe because of the base plate design which is very similar to the Gillette OLD type. The NEW SC has been referred to as "An OLD type with blade gap" which is pretty accurate.

I have so many blades in my box to test Derby have taken a back seat for the time being.

Like you, I also reach for a Tech or SuperSpeed to try a new blade. After the first shave, when I've got a little feel for the blade, I branch out to see how it works in other, more aggressive razors, like a V3A or Fendrihan.

There is quite a lot of information regarding rigid razors ect. Just do a search for "rigid" in the DE razor forum. I learned most from reading the posts by rabidus, understanding the concept by looking at razor designs and how they hold the blade and then testing it myself. You can also search members posts and threads started by the member via their profile.

You can read this thread I started after such an experiment and how a Derby Extra with 4 shaves on it in a more rigid design, out performed a fresh Polsilver SI in a less rigid design, even after shimming the Polsilver in the Gillette LC. I might add that all of my Derby Extra blades are the "old" style. The new ones must be fantastic! lol

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

The information is out there, you just need to look for it. Everyone may not need a rigid razor, but speaking only for myself, to get a BBS shave over the two trouble spots on my neck, I need a rigid design. If I, or anyone else would be satisfied with a DFS and not BBS, it wouldnt matter.

I feel that if anyone has issues with shaving ATG, a more rigid design will help.

I read that, thanks. Unfortunately, i am not much into vintage razors and i can't follow the discussion well enough. I get lost easily. But i understand the concept. If a razor holds the blade closer to its edge, the blade is more rigid. Makes sense. However, since i don't plan on buying any other razor types, i have to do with what i have, where i can feel Derby being the dullest of all, easily...

But, between different razors, with different rigidity, your theory may be valid, at least to some extend.

Top Bottom