What's new

true and false ASTRA

@DE Steve

I guess pretty soon every blade that comes out of the PPI factory will be laser etched. Also since late 2016 that plant started printing the batch number and manufacturing date on the packages. Could be because of counterfeiting.

I've heard the quality control on the laser etched Astras has been pretty spotty. Reviews seem to indicate a large variation in quality for the new blades compared to the older ink-printed blades. I hope that's not the case. I've never tried the new blades and I've been a bit reluctant to do so. I just haven't felt like rolling the dice with my money so I've seeked out the older blades.

One thing I noticed is the laser etched blades seem to be thinner judging by the zero point on my Merkur Progress.

Also, I've had one blade that was partially split in the middle, on one end.

On the plus side, I'm getting awesome shaves from these blades. Possibly the best shaves I've ever gotten from an Astra SP. I've been using Astra SP's (black letters) daily for about 3 years now.

Last edited:
Have probably more than 450 of the older Astra SP with the black paint. Rarely use them, although I consider them very good blades. recently I stopped counting my blades stash (It was somewhere between the 6000 and 7000 mark :001_302:)

counterfeiting blades is a bit like counterfeiting pennies. It seems like it would cost much more to do than you would get in return.

I've heard the quality control on the laser etched Astras has been pretty spotty. Reviews seem to indicate a large variation in quality for the new blades compared to the older ink-printed blades. I hope that's not the case. I've never tried the new blades and I've been a bit reluctant to do so. I just haven't felt like rolling the dice with my money so I've seeked out the older blades.

I’m about 10 blades in to a hundred pack of the new laser etched blades. So far, each and every blade has been perfect!

Pure myth. Above all remember that many wet shavers who post are new to this and it's easier to blame the "arrow" rather than the "Indian". ;)

Pure myth. Above all remember that many wet shavers who post are new to this and it's easier to blame the "arrow" rather than the "Indian". ;)

Well, the poor reviews are on Amazon, not that that adds any credibility at all. But most are from people that say they've used the old blades for a period of time before the new blades changed. And there are quite a few people saying the same thing.

So, where are you guys getting laser etched Astras? I want to try them, but I just ended up with 100 inked sp's from Amazon and 100 inked SP's from RazorBladesClub.

I want to try the fresh, new, lasered model. :(

Top Bottom