What's new

Triple-milled soaps

My triple milled soaps are Trumper Coconut Oil, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Provence Sante, D. R. Harris Arlington, and Pre de Provence. I love them all.

Tim

I am buying a large quantity of DR Harris before they change over to veggie. How would you store it so it doesn't dry out or grow bacteria or something? Can I freeze it? Can it be melted and repoured like the glycerin soaps?

I have some bath soap from the San Francisco Soap company that is glycerin yet milled six times. They are not mutually exclusive.

I am buying a large quantity of DR Harris before they change over to veggie. How would you store it so it doesn't dry out or grow bacteria or something? Can I freeze it? Can it be melted and repoured like the glycerin soaps?

Not sure if freezing can degrade soaps, but melting a triple-milled soap will ruin it. If stored somewhere fairly cool and dry nothing untoward should happen to, or grow on a soap for years, though the scent may fade.

If you're storing for the long term, you could use an airtight container with a couple of desiccant packs in.

Nancy Boy is triple milled--in addition to being absolutely phenomenal. And--hang on to your hats--Claus Porto Soaps are milled 7 Times. Yes, that's right. One bar weighs in at 14 ounces. My wife and I started a bar on August 8, and we're just now at the tail end. We each show 2x/day, so that's four daily uses, multiplied by 120 days, give or take. Not bad. And--to top it off, the soap is truly magnificent. The fragrance didn't quit from the first to the last, the latherability is superlative, and the moisturizing from the shea butter left us with not a moment of feeling dry. This is one heck of a first rate soap. you can see it www.lafcony.com . They also carry Santa Maria Novella.

Not sure if freezing can degrade soaps, but melting a triple-milled soap will ruin it. If stored somewhere fairly cool and dry nothing untoward should happen to, or grow on a soap for years, though the scent may fade.

If you're storing for the long term, you could use an airtight container with a couple of desiccant packs in.

I wonder if you could vacuum seal them into one of those food storage bags? The sealed bag would keep air and moisture away from the soap.

I have vacuum sealed 12 unused Tabac refills.

The stack sealed up just fine, perhaps too fine, as the machine pulled the plastic taught against the edges of the boxes, shrinking them until the rounded soap edges were visible. Holy Suction!

I should have put them in a more rigid container. Oh well.

I rather think triple milled soap would prefer to breath, but I have initiated this experiment in the spirit of the scientific method.

Thoughts, questions, and criticisms welcome.

SB

:c6:

I'm not certain Tabac or AOS are triple milled. They are both softer than Trumper's, Harris and Penhaligon's. For Tabac I believe the hardness comes from the high % of Stearic Acid used in the product and if you look on Valobra's website it appears it obtains it's hardness from a longer than normal aging process and not triple-milling the soap.

Clint

Top Bottom