What's new

Traveling Slant - Try Before You Buy

So 2nd shave. 2 days growth. If you simply forget that it's a slant and just use it, it's brilliant. As I said its a touch aggressive but I like my razors better that way. I will be adding one of these. I'll ship it Monday as I don't think anything is open tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided on Cologne Russe from B&M. I am not used to such a light razor anymore. The 37c bit me a few times. I also did not get the most efficient shave. Probably user error. I will keep practicing as I really want to love slants.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I was looking back at the thread and noticed others were more thorough in their reviews. So here we go:

Musgo real glyce soap face wash
Israeli red (1)
Stirling 24mm finest bulb knot
B&M Cologne Russe
Alum/B&M Cologne Russe

Due to B&M slickness, I generally don't get as crazy with my prep, where as with other soaps I will shower and use a preshave oil. I will try this with today's shave. After my first wtg pass, I thought about all I read in the BOSS thread and went directly to my atg pass. I was not happy with the results so I added a xtg after all, by this time I had a few more weepers than usual, and my chin and neck were still stubbley. I did some buffing, and ended up just short of dfs.

My over all first impression is that the handle is light and shorter than I like. My first safety razor was a 34c which I sold once I got razors that were heavier. I am not sure if I would prefer a German 37 or a Maggard slant, both on a stainless steel bulldog type handle, or a 39c. From price I would like one of the prior. 20 and 30 dollars respectfully. The Razorock is a three piece version of this, where the Maggard is a zamack head based on the same Mulcuto as the iKon slant. I like medium length heavy handles, and I wonder how this razor would feel on the CNC stainless steel bulldog handle from Razorock. I imagine it will handle more like I expect it too.

I will give the 37c a few more days, and, send it out. Probably on Tuesday, as I have to go to that side of town anyway.

Where does it go from here? PM me an address?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Before this thread is forgotten from memory, from Oct. 2015:
Sooo..... Did captain raven get the razor out, or are we back down to one?

CaptainRaven will have the razor out the beginning of the week. I have had some personal issues to deal with. Sorry but I will have it out this coming week.
He never did. Over a year ago, having prompted this passaround's 2nd slant back into circulation, I also tracked down CaptainRaven40 offsite and was in communication with him. He said he used the razor (the passaround's original) for a week after receiving it but as a face+head shaver, he preferred his Merkur Progress. He said he never sent it on because he never got the address of the person of the next person in line before he was banned here (I assume for repeated failure to send it out, which he'd previously attributed to health issues and a succession recent deaths in the family).

I proposed he send it on to me (saying that I was in Canada) so that I could put it back into circulation and let everyone here know that he had at long last done the right thing. He was agreeable, saying "give me your address and it will go out next week". I did, then followed up with him 1 week later. His usual excuse: "I understand the broken promise, but [can't right now due to financial burdens] I am sorry, but my health and family comes before a razor. It will get to you."

Shipping cost to Canada was $9.50, and no, in the almost 14 months since, it has never got to me.

If CaptainRaven40 ever fulfills his promise, I will update this thread and either revive the CONUS passaround or continue it on as a Canadian passaround. Just don't hold your breath waiting.

Last edited:
It was awesome and thank you very much for the experience this is why the forum is so great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom