What's new

transition to civilian life (advice needed)

So I think I'll retire after 25 years of service to the Republic. It's getting harder and harder to max the ol' APFT. Any advice with respect to retirement? What should I expect from a society I haven't seen much of in so long? What's the best way to look for work?

Sure do! Plenty of sustainment, program management, logistics and acquisitions experience!

That is great. I utilized my States(NY) Department of Labor and The Veterans Administration Services for job placement to find work. I eventually used my GI Bill to get a CDL-A license. Also, you could collect unemployment automatically in those days after discharge. I was an 11B with 'no related civilian occupation' coded in my DD-214. I wish you the best and I hope your road of transition is smooth. I found that the Civilian world works according to time rather than standard which took me a bit of getting used too if that makes any sense.

I don't have any miraculous insight, but definitely use your GI bill.

I do however, wish you a smooth transition, and it sounds like you'll have a good job when you get out with those skills. Start calling companies in your home state maybe, and see if you can fax them a resume and cover letter?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Packtray:

First of all, I think
proxy.php
are in order and 'Thank You for you Service' on your upcoming retirement from the Army (Yeah Baby...Hooah!!)!
proxy.php

Q. Do you plan to work in 'industry' or as a 'blue suiter' in the federal (GS) government for the Army or other Agency?
proxy.php

Before my retirement, I decided I was going to 'stay on this side of the fence' (i.e., federal GS employment), and not go into industry because being with my Army in either 'green or blue suit' capacity is all I know (now that's not all true
proxy.php
).

Plus, the Mrs. and I wanted to be around / close to a military infrastructure and still continue to support the Army (since my retirement [Army & GS], Fort Polk, LA is just 25 minutes away).

I would say, definitely use your installation ACAP services to translate your military skills into 'civilian speak' (very important), on your resume.

To get started, you will need to begin to 'build' (now would be a great time) your resume on USAJOBS (the official site for jobs with the Federal US Government), and be sure to include at least 3 Professional and 3 Personnel references.

USAJOBS - Job Search: https://www.usajobs.gov/

Also, it's also a good idea to also 'build' your Resume on the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA),site.

DLA Job site: http://www.hr.dla.mil/resources/employment/current/USAStaffing.asp

Additionally, my advice to you would be to use your 'connections / net-works' (which I know you have), for that 'someone(s)' who already works for the government who can vouch, vet and 'bat for you'. At least with your experience...GS 11-13 would be a good salary [plus your retirement pay and/or any disability]....sweeet), is not only the best thing since 'sliced bread' but also 'priceless' in terms of job security too (especially in these economic times....you know the old saying..."Industry can come and go, but the Government is here to stay"). :thumbsup:

Oh, before I forget, you can begin to apply and begin employment with the Federal Government jobs while you're on Terminal Leave (the old requirement to wait 6 months has been waived).
Best of Luck my friend and let it be known...I'm right here to assist you in your employment endeavors and transition!
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Service is the lifeblood of any organization. Everything flows from it and is nourished by it. Service [is not a metaphor or either an ulterior motive]...it's an attitude". Author Unknown

Last edited:
What is/was your job if I may ask? I still have a ways to go, but it is nice hearing that someone else made it all the way through!

Hi packtray.

I can offer this:

1) Make sure ANY and ALL injuries are documented. The VA is not your friend. The VA does not represent you. The VA represents the best interests of the gov't. If you have any injuries that need to be rated by the VA make sure you go through a veterans service organization for representation, such as the DAV. They help you for free, will not require you to join, and will follow your case and file appeals on your behalf. I say this from experience. There are many fine and dedicated VA employees, but it is a federal agency with a limited budget run by bureaucrats. Never forget that.

2) Be prepared to get frustrated. Discipline, work ethic, responsibility, accountability, respect, competence.....are all "optional" in the civilian world. The stakes aren't as high. Finding like minded folks and settling into your new lifestyle is like dating...you have to filter out the bad from the good. I wasn't in long enough to retire but struggled with the transition until I lowered my expectations of the people around me. I had to lower my expectations of myself as well, I continued to stress over things that were important in the military yet trivial in the civilian world.

3) Enjoy sleeping in.

4) Savor good coffee. Gone will be the days of bitter "lifer juice".

5) Most people you meet won't be able to relate to the last 25 years of your life. That's OK. You've missed a lot too.

6) Update your wardrobe. One of the more amusing observations I made in the military was knowing when someone enlisted by the clothes they wore off duty. We tend to stick to what we know.

7) Shhhhh....don't tell anybody here I said this, but you won't have to shave every day anymore.

8) Burn your reflective PT belt. That's an order!

Congratulations! Enjoy your new life. You've earned it.

Pack, I've written about this a lot. Lots of advice. In short, it's brutal man, but full of opportunity.

Really? I find that after so long, I'm a bit intimidated by the idea of NOT being a soldier. I do not know why.

Pack, I've written about this a lot. Lots of advice. In short, it's brutal man, but full of opportunity.

Many wishes for a happy retirement from a fellow officer (not US). I wish you good health and prosperity. Do not worry about the transition. It'll come.

The hardest part is acting like a civilian while still maintaining the good qualities or bearing and responsibility the military instills. No one wants someone to rest at parade rest or march around the office, it really can throw people off. That said, it took me a while to transition to the fact that depending on the workplace you may need to put on the kid-gloves when correcting your co-workers, in addition to letting things go that you never would have tolerated while enlisted. Civilians didn't sign up for the same program and they'll be quick to remind you if you forget.

Good Luck packtray,
As pfp_dad said you will more than likely need kid gloves when correcting someone.
Learn to relax a bit more too, it gets frustrating

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Navy has a program called TAP (Transition Assistance Program) I have no doubt the other branches have similar programs in place.
During this brief program, they have retired military come in and talk about their transition, they show you how to market the skills you've obtained, and they teach you how to write a resume and how to sit for an interview.
This is a great program, and when you have successfully transitioned to civillian duty, you can make yourself available in that program to help others making the same transition later.

Even though I was stationed around the world, the biggest culture shock I ever experienced was returning to civilian life. The values, attitudes, and habits were completely foreign to my service culture. Just always keep in mind that they are the ones you spent your life defending because they couldn't defend themselves. That means that they are something worth defending.

Top Bottom