What's new

TracII cartridges Gillette PII vs Gillette TracII plus vs Personna Twin Pivot Plus

Normally I am a DE shaver BUT...as of late I have rediscovered my old TracII from the 80s. You know, the time when all things old were bland. So, having dug out my old handle and grabbing some blades I thought I would give this comparison a shot. Here is a quick rundown of the results I had with the cartridges. PII (Inida) TracII plus (Poland) Personna (USA)

PII....these blades were mid priced at 5.99 for 5 carts. No lube strip but were designed with an open back presumably to keep them from clogging. I had no clogging issues so there is that. The blades were just a bit rough with the first shave. They settled down after the second shave and gave a DFS for a total of 7 shaves before they began to become just the slightest bit tuggy again. As this was just a quick test I then switched blades.

Gillette TracII plus...Theses were the most expensive blades at 20 dollars for 10. The DO have the lube strip. Some folks like this, some dont. It did not make much difference to me. I did not have the problem with the "stringy goo" from them that some have reported. At any rate, the shave was very much like the Indian PII blade. Just the slightest bit rough at first, but these smoothed out during the first shave. After that they were extremely smooth. Perhaps not 2 dollars a cart smooth...but smooth. This cart lasted a bit longer, for a total of 10 shaves before I began to feel just the slightest bit of roughness. The resulting shave was just shy of BBS. Still thought, at 2 dollars a cart, whew..spendy.

Personna Twin Pivot Plus.... These were the cheapest at 5.99 for 10 carts. They also have a lube strip that caused me no problems. And, like the others gave just the slightest bit of roughness in the beginning. After that they settled down to being my favorite of the bunch. 17 easy shaves before I felt a bit of grit. It also gave a DFS with the first shave but then BBS for the next 8-9 shaves then DFS until the end. I must note that the Personna blades do not have an open back like both Gillettes. Still though, I did not have a problem with "clogging".

While as always YMMV I can say these are all good blades with no weepers, cuts, or irritation, but the Personna was outstanding. Price, longevity, and results were excellent. I would highly recommend giving them a try if you use a TracII or an Atra handle.

All shaves were conducted after morning face washing with warm water only, Barbasol original canned goo, and Skin Bracer AS. Total time for shave: less than 15 min. Usually much less. (I gotta start getting ready for work earlier!)

similar experience with the Trac II Plus and PII, both gave a good shave, maybe TracII slightly closer and smoother? The Personna I tried were tugging and uncomfortable from the start so I did not complete the first shave. Maybe a bad cart? I still have them, I will try a different cart in the pack to see if I can get a good shave from them. Thanks for the review.
If you do the same with the Sensor razor and the different carts available would be very interested to read your experiences. Sensors work the best for me.

I much prefer vintage Wilkinson Sword Profile carts. I also haven't had much luck with Personna's.

Thanks for the review

I like my vintage Gillette GII carts from the 90s and also my really old Gillette Trac II carts from the 80s .

I also just won an auction for a batch of Wilkinson WII (some made in England and some in W Germany) will be interesting to see how these WIIs compare to my Wilkinson sword twins (vintage made in USA ) ones that I have .

Oh and all of these I got for significantly less than $1 a cart .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

similar experience with the Trac II Plus and PII, both gave a good shave, maybe TracII slightly closer and smoother? The Personna I tried were tugging and uncomfortable from the start so I did not complete the first shave. Maybe a bad cart? I still have them, I will try a different cart in the pack to see if I can get a good shave from them. Thanks for the review.
If you do the same with the Sensor razor and the different carts available would be very interested to read your experiences. Sensors work the best for me.
Funny you brought up the Sensor. I have, in fact, tried the Personna carts for the Sensor razor. These were the triple blade version. To tell the truth, I hated them with a passion. Tuggy and rough, no matter how I prepped. Strange how the 2 blade carts work so well (for me) in the TracII but the Sensor blades would be an exact 180. It also looks like the world of carts is much like the world of DE. Peoples experience with different blades can be so different! :)

Funny you brought up the Sensor. I have, in fact, tried the Personna carts for the Sensor razor. These were the triple blade version. To tell the truth, I hated them with a passion. Tuggy and rough, no matter how I prepped. Strange how the 2 blade carts work so well (for me) in the TracII but the Sensor blades would be an exact 180. It also looks like the world of carts is much like the world of DE. Peoples experience with different blades can be so different! :)
FWIW I cannot get even a tolerable shave from any 3 blade Sensor cart, but the Gillette Sensor and Sensor Excel carts are really good for me. If you haven't tried them, maybe they could work for you also? Persaonna Sensor compatible carts, not so much.

I can get a great shave with a Sensor 3 with the orange strip, I find the one with a blue strip quite rough in comparison.

I this is interesting. I have had similar results with the PII and t
Trac II plus. Then I tried the Japanese Schick Super II carts. Yes, they do have a lube strip, but it’s not obnoxious. I can get up to 40 shaves per cart, and they are nice and smooth.

Top Bottom