What's new

Toss it or Restore it

Recently with the help of B&B members, I started polishing a few of my modern matte razors with excellent results so I thought that I would give an old razor that seemed lost a shot.

I found a Goodwill online that looked hopeless but I wanted a good test. The photos show before and after with a little time invested. I still have some work to do but the Goodwill looks good. It shaves well too.

GoodwillNew.jpg

GoodwillPurchase.jpg

R

romsitsa

A vintage three piece in this condition is almost mint. Hopless would be all 4 corners cracked and bent inward, some missing teeth and deep surface pits and/or scratches, stripped thread.
And it would be still salvageable.

Adam

Definitely a keeper. You've done a great job with the cleanup and polish. The Goodwill #160 is one of my personal favorites because (IMO) it is such a smooth and efficient razor. So if you decide to toss it, you already my mailing address and I'll pay the postage :)

Sorry; I misunderstood the point of your post. Whatever you've doing, you seem to be doing it the right way. Keep it up.

Sorry; I misunderstood the point of your post. Whatever you've doing, you seem to be doing it the right way. Keep it up.
You did not, others may have. Just thought that the post would be helpful for members that may be new to vintage razors and not realize that many old guys can be cleaned up and polished to look great especially some of the hard to find favorites like the Goodwill. I bought 2 from the same dealer at a discount because I bought 2 and because of the condition. I have not started to work on the 2nd razor yet.

Nice. I assume that the second picture is the "before" shot. A member gave me this NEW SC. It has a chipped tooth. I hope to polish down to the brass. Hope it turns out as pretty as your Goodwill. I shaved with it as is and it was fairly rough. IMG_20200214_1523100-750x1000.jpg

You did a beautiful job, but if had been mine, I would have left it as is and used it after an initial scrub and sterilizing in 99% pure isopropyl alcohol.

Top Bottom