What's new

Top 5 Essential Blades.

Me trying to be funny. There are two Wilkinson Sword India blades. One group are made in India which comes as no surprise and there are a second group made in China, therefore the Chindia label. They are made in China for the India market. The two blades may have subtle differences but I find both to be very good blades. YMMV.

For me:
1-Gilette Silver Blue
2-Silver Star super stainless
3-Persona Platinum
4-Rapira Swedish super steel
5-Rapira Ladas

no particular order or rank:-

1. Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (Spoiler) FANTASTIC blades for 60 years of shaving supplies, means I’ve got heaps of blades about 1560 in total until I RIP... Amen!

2. Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (625 blades)
3. Gillette Nacet
4. Gillette Stainless (Red & White) heaps of blades
5. Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (Brown heaps of blades)
6. Wizamet Iridium Super (heaps of blades)
7. Astra SP
8. Astra SS

1. Feather
2. Feather
3. Feather
4. Feather
5. Feather

I used to use others but there really is no need to anymore.

I only use two brands... Feather and Nacet… tried a bunch and settled on these two for the most comfortable and efficient job on my coarse, old whiskers

If I had to do with one blade, it's the Astra SP for the right balance of sharpness, smoothness, and cost.

So...

1. Astra SP
2. Israeli Personna
3. Wilkinson, Germany
4. Feather
5. Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow

So tell us dfoulk, ..... do you like Feather blades ? LOL. For me too, one of my favorites !

There are other good blades as well like Polsilver, Astra SP, GSB, Permasharp, Wizamet, and Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows but there came a point where my technique got better and everything clicked, then every blade I used was smooth to me. So not it's just a question of which ones leave a bit more stubble behind to clean up than the others. I've slowly gotten away from everything else and have moved toward Feather almost exclusively for this reason.

Not in any order:
1. GSB
2. Polsilver SI
3. 7 O'Clock SS Green
4. Nacet
5. Voskhod

Plus some others - I like varity, and always YMMV.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Because of how much time I can spend pursuing and low bidding and losing 80% of the time I've been able to go strictly vintage and I have enough for the rest of my life and both my sons after that. They all give me closer more comfortable shaves than modern and way more of them. They're not worth the usual asking price if they're for your use but I've been lucky and persistent.
Having said all that, my top two are Personna 74s and the much, much rarer and pricier Wilkinson Light Brigades. The rest are all a close second. Gillette Spoilers and Platinum Plus, Schick Plus Platinum and Super Stainless, Personna Super Stainless. Even regular NOS Gillette and Schick Stainless blades give me better shaves than all but the very best modern options and, again, more of them.
A need to redirect a looming brush acquisition disorder to something less costly is what began this for me.

Derby Premium
Astra SP
Derby Extra
Feather
Kai/Nacet/
most days in that order
have never tried any vintage blades, but some do get a lot of love
maybe I will get on that kick sooner or later

1. Personna Labs or Med prep blades.
2. Personna Reds
3. Astra
4. Gillette Russian Yellows
5. Lord SC
I was curious about how my tastes changed from 2013.

My current favorites:
  1. Personna Labs or Med Prep blades
  2. Personna Reds
  3. PolSilver Super Iridiums
  4. GSB
  5. Dorco Plat st300
My rankings now are influenced by sharpness, smoothness, longevity, and ability to perform in any razor. My razor collection has changed substantially since 2013. My current favorites work in all of my DEs.

Top Bottom