What's new

Top 5 Essential Blades.

Along the same lines, the Polsilver SI and Super Iridium are thought to be same blade (and there's some verification from blind tests done by your fellow B/Bs. ). That put's "super iridium" at no 1!

For me its
1. Gillette 7'0 Black
2 Polsiver SI (really 1 and 2 are a tie and I buy one vs the other if I can get a good deal)
3. Feather
4. Personal Lab Blue
5. Astra (I list these because they're so forgiving and great for getting the hang of a new razor)
Along the same lines, the Polsilver SI and Super Iridium are thought to be same blade (and there's some verification from blind tests done by your fellow B/Bs. ). That put's "super iridium" at no 1!

For me its
1. Gillette 7'0 Black
2 Polsiver SI (really 1 and 2 are a tie and I buy one vs the other if I can get a good deal)
3. Feather
4. Personal Lab Blue
5. Astra (I list these because they're so forgiving and great for getting the hang of a new razor).
@ShavingPrimate just (11.22)liked this post from so many years ago that I don’t remember posting it. But let’s just say that my tastes have changed. I now use feather exclusively for DE razors. I’m in the mild/medium razor; sharp blade club. And I find the sharpness of the feather in these types of razors to give me an incredibly smooth and close shave

@ShavingPrimate just (11.22)liked this post from so many years ago that I don’t remember posting it. But let’s just say that my tastes have changed. I now use feather exclusively for DE razors. I’m in the mild/medium razor; sharp blade club. And I find the sharpness of the feather in these types of razors to give me an incredibly smooth and close shave
At leastI gave you an opportunity to update your tastes!

I have been going through older threads. I think there still many older threads that are interesting and informative. I don't see any reason, not to revisit them and give them some new life.

On many forums, older threads that are no longer active are mostly closed by the moderators, so posting to them is no longer an option.

I have Feathers in my current rotation. I suppose I am among the fortunate DE shavers. I can get a close, quality shave from any of my blades, so, apart from price, the Feather doesn't seem any different than the others.

I can also use any of them in either the R89 or the R41, with the R41 giving me a closer shave. The razor itself seems to be the more determining factor, in my case.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was curious about how my tastes changed from 2013.

My current favorites:
  1. Personna Labs or Med Prep blades
  2. Personna Reds
  3. PolSilver Super Iridiums
  4. GSB
  5. Dorco Plat st300
My rankings now are influenced by sharpness, smoothness, longevity, and ability to perform in any razor. My razor collection has changed substantially since 2013. My current favorites work in all of my DEs.
That's interesting... I don't have enough time in with DE shaving to know yet but so far, every blade I've tried has worked well... but that's because of the fine people here on B&B's evaluations.

That's interesting... I don't have enough time in with DE shaving to know yet but so far, every blade I've tried has worked well... but that's because of the fine people here on B&B's evaluations.
That rates a "yes - but...".

Consider that the more wealthy the countries and their economies, the more likely its shaving population will be using more expensive cartridge razor blades.

More economically challenged societies are more likely to be the ones using DE blades. I doubt that you could even measure the impact of Internet shaving form's members on the overall DE razor blade world market.

Those who do represent the majority of DE users are not doing the one-and-done thing, they are getting the most out of their blades.

If the major players in the DE market were not making blades that at least 2/3 of the users found to be of acceptable quality, no one would be buying them. What good is a razor blade that you can't even shave with?

There will be manufacturers that cater to one segment of the market or another, sharp vs. smooth, for example. Most will position their products so that they appeal to the average shaving demographic.

I don't have a large selection of blades by any means, but with the couple of dozen blades that I have, I can get a completely satisfactory shave from any of them.

Let's both hope and prey that our good fortune will continue...

Clear favorites are #1 and #2 and #3:
1. Gillette Platinum (Swedes; smoothest and sharpest in my list)
2. PolSilver/ Wizamet Super Iridiums (sharp enough and most forgiving)
3. Gillette Nacet (Extremely smooth, but can nick with bad technique)

#4 is a notch below:
4. Gillette Super Thin (smooth but not long lasting)

Tie:
5. Voskhod (great value, sharp enough and forgiving; not as smooth as PolSilver)
5. Foam Stropped German Wilkinson Sword (great value, long lasting and smooth)

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Numbers two through four change too often. But, right now, number one is Wilkinson Sword (Germany).

proxy.php.jpg

1.) Personna Platinums (made in Israel)
2.) Nacet
3.) Kai
4.) Gillette Platinums (dark blue)
5.) Personna Platinums (made in Germany)

Top Bottom